IGNORED

Indiana issuing same-sex marriage licenses!

RachelB

Another state moves toward marriage equality. The Attorney General will appeal the decision, but marriages are proceeding nonetheless:

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/breaking ... n/26656204 (not breaking because it's a newspaper)

U.S. District Judge Richard Young ruled that [indiana's] ban violates the U.S. Constitution's equal-protection clause because it treats couples differently based on their sexual orientation.

"Same-sex couples, who would otherwise qualify to marry in Indiana, have the right to marry in Indiana," he wrote. "These couples, when gender and sexual orientation are taken away, are in all respects like the family down the street. The Constitution demands that we treat them as such."

The clerk in Marion County, home to Indianapolis, started issuing marriage licenses immediately.

For those who've been waiting for this day, may you have all the happiness in your life together!

If anyone is keeping track, this means there are now 20 states with marriage equality, another 22 states where same-sex marriage bans are being challenged, and another 8 states where state bans have been ruled unconstitutional but there is a stay in place pending appeal.

You can see a graphic of what that looks like here: http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... a-and-utah (not breaking the link, because they won't care)

It's an incredible privilege to be able to live in a time where people are finally being permitted to marry whom they wish, be the gender they are on the inside, and pursue whatever career or educational path they desire. I cannot wait for the day that all 50 states recognize gay marriage, and I know it won't be long.

Happiness to all! :gay-rainbow: :gay-color: :group-hug: :romance-heartsfade:

I was shocked. I'd figured we'd be the 48th or so state. Same victory in Utah today too! I love seeing all the pictures of happy newlyweds rolling in online!

They are going down like flies! I can't wait until my home state comes down and my friends marriages are legally recognized!

Archived