IGNORED

Jasmine Baucham is Engaged!

nausicaa

So I was looking up Jasmine's social media when she came up on the DPIAT thread, and discovered that she became engaged on June 11th! Anyone know much about her fiancé, Phillip Holmes? Per his Twitter he is Voddie's personal assistant.

ETA: Didn't realize this was already discussed on the "List of Unmarried Fundies" thread. Sorry about that! Should have known I wouldn't have beaten y'all to such a scoop!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't read the unmarried fundies thread much so I'm glad you posted this.

Just a pet peeve of mine, I'm not crazy about burying important info like this in those mega threads. I don't think I'm the only one who would have missed this in that thread.

Back to the engagement, I'm disappointed he is an assistant to her father. I imagine he has the same idiotic beliefs as Voddie.

Just a pet peeve of mine, I'm not crazy about burying important info like this in those mega threads. I don't think I'm the only one who would have missed this in that thread.

Back to the engagement, I'm disappointed he is an assistant to her father. I imagine he has the same idiotic beliefs as Voddie.

I agree; this was a close call. I was going to start a separate thread, because this really is big news.

There are many congratulatory messages on both Voddie Baucham's personal FB page, and his "Voddie Baucham Ministries" FB page - but more on the latter, with lots along the lines of "Wow, this dude passed the 'What He Must Be' test," "he must be SO BRAVE," "He'd better not step out of line," etc. - all implying that Voddie is a holy terror as a potential father-in-law. Nice.

And again, not a morsel of mazel tov from the Botkins - Jasmine is, I believe, the last of their starring "Return of the Daughters" SAHDs to tie the knot.

There are many congratulatory messages on both Voddie Baucham's personal FB page, and his "Voddie Baucham Ministries" FB page - but more on the latter, with lots along the lines of "Wow, this dude passed the 'What He Must Be' test," "he must be SO BRAVE," "He'd better not step out of line," etc. - all implying that Voddie is a holy terror as a potential father-in-law. Nice.

And again, not a morsel of mazel tov from the Botkins - Jasmine is, I believe, the last of their starring "Return of the Daughters" SAHDs to tie the knot.

wow. stuck-up bitches. envy rotteth the bones.

I'm glad this thread was helpful to some and not just cluttering up the forum!

So I was reading through his twitter feed, and it seems he is Quiverfull, a Calvinist, and pretty much toeing the fundie party line on all the hot button issues.

And, could someone give me an interpretation of this tweet by him that isn't racist? I keep hoping I'm reading it incorrectly:

"As much as it pains some to admit it, Reformed theology is less likely to penetrate minorities w/o culturally intelligent Reformed whites."

And what's with his disagreement with that Denis Leary meme about racism being learned? Does he believe that racism is inherent or that races should be kept separate? Is this a Calvinist thing? I'm very confused.

Did you know Jasmine has a twitter account? Her handle is @jasminelinette. She posted an interview Phillip Holmes gave to the RAAN.

raanetwork.org/behind-mic-interview-phillip-holmes/?utm_content=buffer869b0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I will have to listen to it later.

ETA. Phillip has a twitter account. His handle is @PhillipMHolmes

It's sort of a rock/hard place topic. I know some people don't like the "mega threads." The problem is, when we don't have threads to contain the chatter about some of the major topics, we get so many separate threads on those topics then people complain that there are too many threads about xyz topic.

Once there is something big happening, starting a new thread is perfectly fine and appreciated :)

I'm glad this thread was helpful to some and not just cluttering up the forum!

So I was reading through his twitter feed, and it seems he is Quiverfull, a Calvinist, and pretty much toeing the fundie party line on all the hot button issues.

And, could someone give me an interpretation of this tweet by him that isn't racist? I keep hoping I'm reading it incorrectly:

"As much as it pains some to admit it, Reformed theology is less likely to penetrate minorities w/o culturally intelligent Reformed whites."

And what's with his disagreement with that Denis Leary meme about racism being learned? Does he believe that racism is inherent or that races should be kept separate? Is this a Calvinist thing? I'm very confused.

I think what he means is that Calvinism was traditionally not part of the black church tradition, so many black Christians are unaware of it, and the ones that are Calvinists are usually so because they are part of movements (like QF and Christian patriarchy) that are majority white. If this guy is supposed to be Voddie Baucham's assistant, I would have thought that he'd be better at expressing himself, but since he's probably another SOTDRT graduate, I guess his "ministry" is all that counts.

Still no word about this from the Botkinettes. I really, really want to know what the relationship is between the three of them. Like it or not, Jasmine's a "wage-slave" now, and even though it's a Christian university, going to a brick and mortar college has always been frowned on.

I might pay them to make a Return of the Daughters follow up video.

230-some congratulatory comments on the Voddie Baucham Ministries FB page, but none from the love-'em-and-leave-'em Botkins. I wonder if Jasmine could be feeling a bit...used by them??

230-some congratulatory comments on the Voddie Baucham Ministries FB page, but none from the love-'em-and-leave-'em Botkins. I wonder if Jasmine could be feeling a bit...used by them??

With Lourdes playing such a large role in the documentary (I think? I haven't seen the whole thing) I wonder if they just want people to forget about the project. A lack of congratulations for Jasmine could have less to do with her and more with wanting to sweep the whole thing under the rug rather than address the DPIAT scandal?

With Lourdes playing such a large role in the documentary (I think? I haven't seen the whole thing) I wonder if they just want people to forget about the project. A lack of congratulations for Jasmine could have less to do with her and more with wanting to sweep the whole thing under the rug rather than address the DPIAT scandal?

That's probably it. I'm sure they lean more towards DPIAT's cause, but drawing attention to their "stay-at-home-because-God-will-protect-you" spiel won't go over well in any crowd right now.

Some excerpts from an article by Jasmine's fiance, telling Christians how to react to Donald Sterling's racist comments:

1. We must love men like Sterling by understanding what he was actually trying to communicate.

It was reported by a gossip column that Sterling didn’t want Black people at the Clippers games, including Magic Johnson. After listening to the audio in full myself, I didn’t come to the same conclusion. It seems Sterling specifically didn’t want his girlfriend bringing blacks or other minorities to the games with her. It doesn’t appear he intended to band minorities from all Clippers games.

2. We must love men like Sterling by not overreacting and being quick to anger when they state their views.

I once saw a tweet that asked “Why are we surprised when sinners sin?†It seems that the sin of racism has been so demonized by the culture to the point that it’s one of the worst things anyone can be guilty of. When we spot it, we go on a rampage seeking to devour whoever is producing it, especially when they’re white. I understand this feeling because I’ve experienced it.

3. We must love men like Sterling by making the church a safe place for sinners, even racist sinners.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if racism is a sin, it will be with us until Jesus returns. Therefore, the church must be ready and willing to pastor and shepherd those who struggle with it. The church should be a safe place for racists. Often, many guilty of racism feel isolated and misunderstood. We don’t love them by misrepresenting them and overreacting when they reveal their struggle. Others who aware of church members struggling with these views and know they’re wrong are simply waiting for people like them to die.

To read it all, look here:

raanetwork.org/3-quick-exhortations-christians-dealing-men-like-donald-sterling/

McX3GXY.jpg

More from Phillip:

It peaked my interest because as I met more and more Blacks that were Reformed, I quickly realized how unique my experience was. It was mainly Black men that introduced me to this system of theology, but this isn’t the case for most. Typically some unknown Anglo brother or a pop Calvinist preacher like John Piper introduces most Blacks to Reformed Theology. Therefore, after awhile many are often left wondering, “Where are the Black preachers and lay men who believe this and are applying it to my experience? Am I the only one?†I think RAAN can be a supplement for those brothers and sisters.

I want RAAN to be an established resource site for both Christians and unbelievers from all ethnicities, as well as a platform for the minority and majority ethnicities to confess blind spots (on all sides) and develop theology in a diverse community. The famous slogan of the Reformation was “always reformed, always reformingâ€. However, because of my strong background in the Black church and love for those in it, I have a strong desire to see our organization infiltrate the Black community and expose some of the bad theology that is prevalent there today as well as ignite a multi-ethnic view and connect our history back to the Reformation. Bad theology is everywhere and though I have a heart to see all men think rightly about God and love Him with all their heart, even more so for my kinsmen according to the flesh.

It was an interview, so I assume the blogger is to blame for the spelling issues, not Phillip.

trillianewbell.com/2012/06/08/interview-with-phillip-holmes-and-jemar-tisby/

I wonder who the white mentor was:

When I was in college, I entered the office of an older white gentleman who had mentored me, in a sense, and had done some significant cross-cultural things to advance a movement of Reformed blacks. He was also highly esteemed in our circles. From time to time, we talked about my desire to be married, and he encouraged me to pursue it.

However, I had a problem. I was Reformed and black living as a minority immersed in Anglo culture. Because the majority of the women I was surrounded by were white, naturally, some of the relationships I pursued were interracial. I found myself running into the roadblocks of disapproving parents who didn’t want me marrying their daughters.

When I expressed my frustration to the gentleman, he asked how my family would feel about my marrying interracially. I revealed how the gospel had done a marvelous work in my family’s heart regarding this issue. He pointed out that interracial marriage was hard and should therefore be avoided.

The conversation ended awkwardly. I left his office and never returned. Years later, he admitted to a group of men that he could not bear the thought of one of his daughters marrying a black man. This church leader was an incognito racist.

christandpopculture.com/incognito-racist-sterling-pews/

Voodie's daughter Jasmine Bauchman is engaged. She posted the announcement on Twitter along with a photo of her fiance, who is quite nice looking:

"So incredibly blessed to be marrying the best man I could've imagined. Can't wait to do life with @PhillipMHolmes!!"

The news is also on some fundie sites including courtshippledge.com, which advocates courting rather than dating.

I guess Phillip met Voodie's impossibly high standards. Don't know any more details.

I'm happy for her and I love her pink engagement ring, but I'm worried about her siblings. Who will homeschool them? Her mom is too ill and I don't know if any are old enough to take Jasmine's place.

Also, I always thought that Jasmine helped to soften Voddie up a bit when it came to disciplining the little ones. Given his views on spanking (even infants) they probably would have gotten the paddle more often if she weren't there to be a calming force. I got the impression she would try to talk to them first even if she seemed to agree that spanking was OK.

Maybe she can continue to homeschool them as a married women until she has children of her own.

I'm happy for her and I love her pink engagement ring, but I'm worried about her siblings. Who will homeschool them? Her mom is too ill and I don't know if any are old enough to take Jasmine's place.

Also, I always thought that Jasmine helped to soften Voddie up a bit when it came to disciplining the little ones. Given his views on spanking (even infants) they probably would have gotten the paddle more often if she weren't there to be a calming force. I got the impression she would try to talk to them first even if she seemed to agree that spanking was OK.

Maybe she can continue to homeschool them as a married women until she has children of her own.

This is really the continual problem with the sister-mom model: the children suffer when the sister moves on. I feel for the kids, but they aren't Jasmine's responsibility. I think she needs to live her own life and have time to be her own person in her new marriage. I don't think continuing to care for or homeschool the children would do anyone any favors. After all, the break is probably easier for the littles to understand now as opposed to her "abandoning" them when her own children come.

Thank you for starting a new thread! I don't visit often enough to really wallow in the deliciousness of the mega-threads. I'm so torn about Jasmine - I used to enjoy her blog back when she blogged and she seemed so smart (if misguided). I'm happy for her that she's happy but I kind of hoped that she wouldn't find Mr. Right and would end up crying "bullshit" on the whole thing and escaping to the big life she had planned on having before Voddie convinced her of a woman's proper place.

Archived