IGNORED

Nicholas Cage on a Plane Movie - MERGED

SallyDraper

The new Left Behind trailer is up on YouTube. Can somebody please post a link so everybody can see it here? My only question is, Why wasn't Nick Cage involved in the first one? I think he would be a great pairing with Kirk Cameron. LOL

The new Left Behind trailer is up on YouTube. Can somebody please post a link so everybody can see it here? My only question is, Why wasn't Nick Cage involved in the first one? I think he would be a great pairing with Kirk Cameron. LOL

Here is an entertainment show piece on the new movie:

[bBvideo 560,340:2rdvd5gd]

[/bBvideo]

Here is the trailer:

[bBvideo 560,340:2rdvd5gd]

[/bBvideo]

Shame he pissed away all of that money and is reduced to that trash.

I can't believe they actually did a remake of this thing. I couldn't watch the first version; the previews were so cringeworthy I couldn't imagine watching the whole film.

My sister in law tried to get me to read the books years ago. I got through the first couple of chapters of Left Behind and had to tell her I couldn't finish it. It might have been okay had the writing and editing not been so godawfully abysmal, and I told her so. She was a little insulted, but I didn't really care. There are too many good books in this world to waste time reading crap spun out into thirteen--yes, thirteen!--volumes. :doh:

ETA: Ermagerd. I've just found out that there are more than just thirteen books in this series. There are several prequels, and forty--FORTY!!--Left Behind books for kids! :o

Talk about milking something for all its worth. :?

I would love if Christians who don't hold this view of the end times would speak out. The media seems to believe that all Christians hold the same beliefs on issues like abortion, same sex marriage and other issues. They don't. On line, I've met many religious people who don't believe in a violent second coming of Jesus.

The end time beliefs I was taught made god seem like a sociopath. I was taught that if parents get the mark to feed their family, god will send them to hell. Also, the antiChrist was supposed to seem good and if anyone followed him, they would go to hell even though he tricked them.

I would love if Christians who don't hold this view of the end times would speak out. The media seems to believe that all Christians hold the same beliefs on issues like abortion, same sex marriage and other issues. They don't. On line, I've met many religious people who don't believe in a violent second coming of Jesus.

The end time beliefs I was taught made god seem like a sociopath. I was taught that if parents get the mark to feed their family, god will send them to hell. Also, the antiChrist was supposed to seem good and if anyone followed him, they would go to hell even though he tricked them.

Dear. Lord

debrand, there is a chapter in the Bible that clearly states the evil people, not the believers, will be caught up in the rapture. I have a friend who teaches a comparative religions course, he makes no secret of his conservative Christian beliefs. A student fretted to him privately about her pastor's obsession with the rapture, and he told her to ask the man about the chapter next time they were talking.

She did, and the pastor erupted in an angry shouting fit - right in the middle of a restaurant where she and her husband and other church members were dining with him! She and her husband joined a mainstream church almost immediately following that. I'll see him tonight, have him refresh my memory on what chapter/book this is, and edit this asap.

I need to memorize the info because, yes, I'd be happy to speak out. I just need to know what I'm going to say before I do.

My church doesn't even believe there is such a thing as "the Rapture", and publically states that we really have no idea what the symbolism in the book of Revelation really means. It's not a secret, we don't hide our non views, but it sure as hell isn't as great a news story as the freak show the evangelicals wax philosophically about.

Other denominations do speak out. No one cares. The extremists love to talk and a lot of the non religious only want to hear stories about how religion makes you a stupid bigot. Nuance isn't a big concept when reporting on religion with a few notable exceptions.

MamaJuneBug, I would appreciate you providing the chapter. Thank you. :)

Even though I am atheist, I don't believe that reading the bible in context supports right wing theology. It seems like some people just like the idea that others will suffer for being different so they twist verses to support that viewpoint. Those same people would be asses no matter what their belief system.

I meet a lot of people who don't really read their bible but just accept whatever the pastor tells them. Perhaps if I provide them the correct chapter and verse, it will help them have a more nuanced view of their own religion.

Yes, it's absolutely terrifying to sit under those teachings as a child. I remember running through the house crying because everyone was outside and i didn't know it, and thought they were all raptured and for some reason i wasn't good enough to go. Stupid, stupid theology. Why would God send Jesus to save the world and then let innocent people get the mark without knowing what it meant? (since they teach having that is a ticket to eternal torment).

haha - this is the lady i remember most from Religulous. She's so cray cray that someone actually posted a video of just her on youtube. :lol:

[bBvideo 560,340:h2za9ec2]

[/bBvideo]

I can't believe they actually did a remake of this thing. I couldn't watch the first version; the previews were so cringeworthy I couldn't imagine watching the whole film.

My sister in law tried to get me to read the books years ago. I got through the first couple of chapters of Left Behind and had to tell her I couldn't finish it. It might have been okay had the writing and editing not been so godawfully abysmal, and I told her so. She was a little insulted, but I didn't really care. There are too many good books in this world to waste time reading crap spun out into thirteen--yes, thirteen!--volumes. :doh:

ETA: Ermagerd. I've just found out that there are more than just thirteen books in this series. There are several prequels, and forty--FORTY!!--Left Behind books for kids! :o

Talk about milking something for all its worth. :?

This. The books are poorly written, full of goofy cliches. It's like Jerry Jenkins read Tom Clancy non-stop for inspiration, then threw in the latest end times theology. The last books are pretty bad, where they try to put Armageddon into modern times. I'm ashamed i read the whole series except for the prequels. I'm a stickler for finishing things :angry-banghead:

MamaJunebug, please do post that chapter. What an awesome tool against the stupid brainwashing of my childhood.

First off, the doctrine of the Rapture does not even appear in Christian theology until 1800. By Rapture, I mean the evangelical belief that the righteous will be snatched into heaven and everyone else faces the tribulation.

Christianity historically believed that it would be the CHURCH, not some segment of left behind unrighteous that would endure a period of persecution (tribulation) before Christ reappeared. In Thessalonians Paul was addressing concerns in the community that those who died before Jesus returned would miss the second coming. He is assuring people that upon the return of Jesus, the dead would be resurrected, and with the living all would be judged and the worthy would ascend with him. The wicked are consigned to punishment, and that is the end. There is no 1000 year period of Tribulation where there is a remnant of the living on earth before the second coming. The tribulation as understood by the church until a subset came out with a new interpretation 200 years ago was to be a period of difficulty on earth the righteous endured, NOT a remnant. A 1000 years is interpreted symbolically, no one knows a true time period.

Hopefully MamaJunebug comes back with more exact references. Damn, I am so sick of having fundamentalist heresies representing Christian systemic theology. It's new, it has never represented anything but a small minority of Christians, and I am sick of them having the audacity to speak for the rest of us.

Hopefully MamaJunebug comes back with more exact references. Damn, I am so sick of having fundamentalist heresies representing Christian systemic theology. It's new, it has never represented anything but a small minority of Christians, and I am sick of them having the audacity to speak for the rest of us.

**screeching around the corner, landing iwith my laptop open!*

The passage that my friend gave to his student, and which sent her former pastor in paroxysms, is in Matthew 13, verses 36-43.

Jesus is explaining the Parable of the Weeds Sown Among Good Seed to His disciples. To review quickly, that parable tells of a field that was surreptitiously oversown with weeds by enemies of the field's owner. His field hands ask if they should uproot the weeds, and the owner says, no, wait 'til the harvest, then it will be easiest to identify them, uproot them and burn 'em.

Jesus gives the disciples this explanation (NIV translation):

The Parable of the Weeds Explained

36 Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.â€

37 He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. 38 The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

40 “As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42 They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear.

This is how it was explained to me back when the Left Behind people started really taking off. They have it "completely backward in saying that the good people are taken up and bad people left. Jesus says clearly "As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42 They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. ...

Italics by MJB.

Here - http://en.allexperts.com/q/Lutherans-95 ... ture-2.htm - is a good chapter-and-verse explanation of why Lutheranism (and most other mainstream churches with theology rooted in centuries of historical study) finds no evidence for "the rapture" and the millennium in, y'know, actual The Holy Bible.

I sure hope this helps. I'm glad for this topic because I need to have this argument way more front-of-mind than I have done. You never know when you'll meet somebody who wants to talk about things .... :whistle:

**screeching around the corner, landing iwith my laptop open!*

The passage that my friend gave to his student, and which sent her former pastor in paroxysms, is in Matthew 13, verses 36-43.

Jesus is explaining the Parable of the Weeds Sown Among Good Seed to His disciples. To review quickly, that parable tells of a field that was surreptitiously oversown with weeds by enemies of the field's owner. His field hands ask if they should uproot the weeds, and the owner says, no, wait 'til the harvest, then it will be easiest to identify them, uproot them and burn 'em.

Jesus gives the disciples this explanation (NIV translation):

The Parable of the Weeds Explained

36 Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.â€

37 He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. 38 The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

40 “As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42 They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear.

This is how it was explained to me back when the Left Behind people started really taking off. They have it "completely backward in saying that the good people are taken up and bad people left. Jesus says clearly "As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42 They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. ...

Italics by MJB.

Here - http://en.allexperts.com/q/Lutherans-95 ... ture-2.htm - is a good chapter-and-verse explanation of why Lutheranism (and most other mainstream churches with theology rooted in centuries of historical study) finds no evidence for "the rapture" and the millennium in, y'know, actual The Holy Bible.

I sure hope this helps. I'm glad for this topic because I need to have this argument way more front-of-mind than I have done. You never know when you'll meet somebody who wants to talk about things .... :whistle:

:worship: :worship: :worship: Thank you!!!

That is exactly it. All Christian theological explanation around the End Times has this parable in Matthew as the linchpin. That is why the historic church never developed a "Rapture" theology based on some people being left behind while other were taken into heaven. Thesalonians has to be interpreted through Matthew, because...wait for it...the words of Jesus outweigh the words of Paul. Especially when Paul is being ripped out of the context he was writing in and the community he was writing for.

Thank you for the verses!

All – you are more than welcome. I can only take credit for having listened when my friend was talking!

Thank you, MamaJuneBug! You and Artejo are wonderful.

I have managed to convince some of my more right leaning, religious friends to accept evolution so maybe I will have success in this area.

Because I live in an area with many right leaning evangelicals, there are depressingly many people who believe in the rapture. One of my childhood pastors terrified me by claiming that Jesus would return on a white horse and fight a battle that would cause the blood to reach his horse's bridle. Up until that time, I had been taught that Jesus was a sweet, caring man that loved everyone. When I told my mom, she explained that Jesus would only murder those who deserved death so it was all good. :?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/globa ... sus-51504/

Six in 10 evangelical leaders, or 61 percent, say they believe in the Rapture of the Church compared to 32 percent who say the End Times doesn't happen exactly this way, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life survey.

I wonder why evangelicals are so prevalent in the southern USA? Although I suppose no one really knows why, it would be interesting to know why some people are attracted to more compassionate, loving(and apparently historically accurate) versions of Christianity and other people believe that their god sets certain people up to be tortured for an eternity.

I wonder why evangelicals are so prevalent in the southern USA? Although I suppose no one really knows why, it would be interesting to know why some people are attracted to more compassionate, loving(and apparently historically accurate) versions of Christianity and other people believe that their god sets certain people up to be tortured for an eternity.

Part of it probably has to do with the denominations that originally settled/evangelized there, and how they did so. As BigDaddy JB once explained to me, the "circuit riders" who would travel long distances between isolated settlements only got to each place monthly or even less frequently. Between times, there were all kinds of chances for misguided/false doctrines to begin to creep into the community. Sadly, in a lot of those cases, the extremes and dramatics tend to take hold, and thoughtful scholarship and careful examination of Scripture are a lot less intriguing and attractive [sic].

That was one of the reasons the Lutherans were so keen to get sufficient men educated and trained and into settlements on a full-time basis, even if that meant dividing their time between 2 or 3 towns. They usually were able to conduct services in each location weekly, and to otherwise catechize and continue to instruct the members frequently.

In the case of the Southern US, I think back to distinctions a high school lit teacher made about Greek mythology versus that from the British Isles. The Greeks, with their year-round sunshine and rocky shore terrain, saw things vividly and their literature reflected that in boldly drawn deities and mortals whose successes and failings were big and obvious.

Whereas the people living on the misty moors of what's now Scotland, Ireland, etc., saw mysteries and mysterious beings and many shades of possibilities and greys.

Which leads back to the topic of the Southern US: balmy at the best of times, but often not what it appears -- a green field is actually a swamp with no place to walk; a log is an alligator; oppressive heat and humidity conjures thoughts of a broiling Hell (like that described by the desert peoples in the Near East); and then - please forgive me, Southern friends - the penchant for drama and intrigue that bless my heart, I just don't find among my Northern friends, who are most preoccupied with getting things set up for the whompin' winters that are bound to follow the nicest springs and most mosquito-laden summers and falls.

Winters when there's time and reason to gather together to speculate, study and otherwise keep warm in a room.

I'm probably waaaaaaay off base, but those are the things that have occurred to me as to why the staggering stories of raptures, etc., have tended to thrive a little more in the south than in the north. For now, anyway...

Let the slings and arrows begin as soon as I've gotten settled behind the couch in.....3, 2, 1 -- go! :doh: <---covering my head with my forearms!

No slings and arrows from me, MamaJuneBug. Whenever I read about something crazy that happened in a southern state, I always use the excuse that heat and humidity influences us here to do weird things. :lol:

My mother grew up with severe poverty that included lack of running water and electricity. She isn't the only older southerner that I know who came from very impoverished backgrounds. Perhaps the lack of control in their lives led some southern grandparents to embrace a more vengeful god which still influences how their grandchildren view god?

Shouldn't that be "Mother#%&*ing Cage on a Mother#%&*ing Plane"? :D

*ducks and runs*

I would hazard a guess due to the history of storytelling, call-and-response preaching, and the heat provide a ripe environment where hyperbole runs rampant. I know folks whose opinion of a church is based solely upon the preacher's ability to rile up a crowd. An old-school Southern preacher is like a rock star full of magnetic charisma.

I recognize the actress is the same who played an annoying "saved" girl on Switched at Birth.

• 3 months later...
I would hazard a guess due to the history of storytelling, call-and-response preaching, and the heat provide a ripe environment where hyperbole runs rampant. I know folks whose opinion of a church is based solely upon the preacher's ability to rile up a crowd. An old-school Southern preacher is like a rock star full of magnetic charisma.

I recognize the actress is the same who played an annoying "saved" girl on Switched at Birth.

I just realized that as well! I abhor her character on Switched at Birth. Actually, I remember telling my roommate while watching that part of the series that the only thing more obnoxious than Christian culture is Christian culture portrayed in pop culture. She was such a bitch.

Anyway. I am sure I'm in the minority, but I'm super-looking forward to this movie. I'm totes gonna see it when it's in the cheap theater. I love bad movies and Nicolas Cage at the very least manages to pick great bad movies to be a part of. Season of the Witch was delightfully awful. My ex and I flipped our lids when the zombie priests showed up. This promises to be just as entertaining.

Willie Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame has made a video for the non-Kirk Cameron Left Behind movie staring Nicholas Cage. And he is encouraging people to bring their lost friends so that they can get saved on the way home from the theater.

It’s a warning to those, if it happened today, would be left behind, and I believe people are going to make that life-changing decision to follow Christ on the way home from the theater on Oct. 3,†Robertson said. “Let’s all make sure we bring some friends and family to see this movie – people who need to see to believe.â€

So basically use scare tactics to convert people. Which, honestly seems to sum up most of my religious life. And is it really wise to make life changing decisions based on a Nicholas Cage movie? Growing up it seemed like the churches I was exposed to wanted to rush people into making a statement of faith after an emotional service. I realized as an adult that the reason they did this was because if they gave people time to think it through they were less likely to make a confession of faith. And since we were once saved, always saved, it didn't matter if they dropped out of church two weeks later, they were still counted as a soul the church won for God, so they needed to get that confession. Anyway, that is what this seems like to me.

Like most Christians, my family and I can truly say that we’re excited about the soon return of Jesus, and I’m sure, if you’ve been watching the news lately, you know that that return could be any day from now

I've been hearing the bolded line my entire life and I used to really believe it. I would dream about the Rapture as a child because I was being told that things in the news made it clear that it was going to happen any day. Am I the only one who would pray for God to return so that I could get out of doing things I didn't want to do? :lol:

As an unbeliever I'm actually planning on going because I remember reading the books back when I was still a believer, but I rather doubt I will get "saved" on the way home from the theater.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/05/d ... age-movie/

People have been saying his return was imminent for nearly 2000 years. Still hasn't happened. So forgive me if I scoff at the Duck Dynasty idiot.

Also, I think people who pimp out their lives on tv for a quick buck aren't the best people to be giving out spiritual advice.

I refuse to have my soul saved by an actor with precisely one facial expression! If my plumber knew only one move, I'd doubt his craft, and chuck him out. I am not making exceptions, when it comes to someone knowing their job. Shoddy work is shoddy work, and I'm not paying for that. In souls or money.

Archived