IGNORED

Sarah wants CPA's to take Quickbooks "class"!

Justme

She thinks it will help you understand Quickbooks! Golly ghee,,,, they even have a picture of a Dude who actually took the "class"! Could that be a message to US that it was not a family member who took the "class"?!

:trainwreck:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which Sarah is this?

Is there a link to her blog post?

Sarah Maxwell...she is trying to get people to sign up for Christopher's 1TonRamp class beginning next month.

blog.titus2.com/2014/05/19/learn-small-business-accounting-quickbooks/

She claims they've had a CPA in the class already. I seriously doubt it.

That makes sad for her. She just doesn't know any better. Maybe a CPA who was a friend of the family took it to help them out.

Sarah Maxwell...she is trying to get people to sign up for Christopher's 1TonRamp class beginning next month.

blog.titus2.com/2014/05/19/learn-small-business-accounting-quickbooks/

OK, got it now! However, I would imagine that on-line tutorials and a Quick Books forum (there has to be one) would work as well and be FREE.

I just asked my DH (CPA) about QuickBooks (niche product, clunky, limitations but adequate for a very small home-based business). He is semi retired & works for a 2-person engineering firm, but has worked with most types of accounting software. He did not need a class to learn any of them. He uses MYOB (Mind Your Own Business software). Love the name.

I certainly see how learning some type of basic accounting software fits into the fundie fantasy of the home-based business:

all jesus, all the time. Check!

captive work force. Check!

safe from the outside world, i.e., heathens/pagans/devil worshipers/others under the general or direct influence of Satan. Check!

no female supervisors. CHECK!

everyone agrees on the dress code. Check!

under the radar of the ebil gubmint. Check!

OMG. Any Breaking Bad fans here? Remember when Skyler, a very savvy accountant, played dumb by pretending to use Quickbooks (or was it Quicken?) to throw the cops off her path?

OMG. Any Breaking Bad fans here? Remember when Skyler, a very savvy accountant, played dumb by pretending to use Quickbooks (or was it Quicken?) to throw the cops off her path?

Had to use the google.

This was Season 4, when Ted's business (Beneke Fabricators) was being investigated by the IRS.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/James_Picarus

It was Quicken and that was Anna Gunn's best scene in the whole series, (IMHO).

That makes sad for her. She just doesn't know any better. Maybe a CPA who was a friend of the family took it to help them out.

I was thinking the same thing. It just shows how naive Sarah is. I also wonder how little she knows about educational requirements/titles. Maybe she thinks anyone who works as an accountant is a CPA? (even someone doing the books for a small business who took a few accounting classes at a community college).

These people are totally self-taught so as to eliminate evil, outside influences. Musical instruments, art, writing, carpentry, electrical and plumbing, etc. I bet Sarah has no idea that people get certifications and licenses and credentials of any sort and that these things mean something in the real world.

These people are totally self-taught so as to eliminate evil, outside influences. Musical instruments, art, writing, carpentry, electrical and plumbing, etc. I bet Sarah has no idea that people get certifications and licenses and credentials of any sort and that these things mean something in the real world.

Seriously.

In their bio page, when they included Christopher back when he was single, one of his "careers" was financial consulting.

Honestly, who would hire some self-taught bozo to consult with about finances? He might have done some bookkeeping for some small businesses (including, or maybe only, Steve's), but that's a far cry from consulting.

My DH is a CPA... I'll have to see if he wants to take this class as I'm not sure it was covered in his masters degree courses. Poor ignorant Sarah, she probably thinks a CPA is someone who is proficient in using a calculator.

The Maxwells don't seem to think much of their readers. That natural smugness just seeps through to their product descriptions. From the Quickbooks 1tonramp order page:

"Too many business owners have no idea the financial position of their company because their finances are not in order."

Uh, sorry. No. There may be some small business owners who don't have a good grasp on their finances, but they don't stay in business long. The small business owners I've known could account for every penny in their business, because their livelihood depends on it. Guess what Maxwells? Many of us in the real world hire experts to assist us with our financial affairs, not some guy with a webpage and a creepy smile.

OMG, Sarah, financial accounting software isn't rocket science. It's designed for the end-user, so is by nature easy to use.

My Poor ignorant Sarah, she probably thinks a CPA is someone who is proficient in using a calculator.

I'm sure she does!

I just asked one of my friends who majored in accounting about this and he pointed out that an elderly CPA *might* take a Quickbooks class but still, it seems unlikely for a practicing one to do so.

My husband is not a math person and he owns his business and uses quick books. He learned it himself in a few days. The credit union he uses had free classes in quick books for small business owners.

I think the Maxwells are getting behind in currently technology trends. I say they are about 10+ years behind. My son's middle school certified students in quick books, powerpoint, excel, and word. The teacher said it was the intro community college course a few years ago and is now the intro in the middle school. Then kids who were interested could move on to CompTIA certification classes.

Not to give Steve ideas but I think physical on site computer repair or apple products/video game/cell phone repair is a more practical skill for those wanting to own their own business then these random classes they teach. Our only apple product store charges $15 to answer a question, our only video game repair location charges $50 minimum and these stores serve 150k population. I can't count the number of $25 wii drives my husband has replaced for neighbors and friends because the repair place charges $80. I guess Steve would never get into apple/phones/video game repair because it is an evil field?

My husband is not a math person and he owns his business and uses quick books. He learned it himself in a few days. The credit union he uses had free classes in quick books for small business owners.

I think the Maxwells are getting behind in currently technology trends. I say they are about 10+ years behind. My son's middle school certified students in quick books, powerpoint, excel, and word. The teacher said it was the intro community college course a few years ago and is now the intro in the middle school. Then kids who were interested could move on to CompTIA certification classes.

Not to give Steve ideas but I think physical on site computer repair or apple products/video game/cell phone repair is a more practical skill for those wanting to own their own business then these random classes they teach. Our only apple product store charges $15 to answer a question, our only video game repair location charges $50 minimum and these stores serve 150k population. I can't count the number of $25 wii drives my husband has replaced for neighbors and friends because the repair place charges $80. I guess Steve would never get into apple/phones/video game repair because it is an evil field?

The Maxwells wouldn't be so far behind in technology if they didn't isolate themselves from the world.

this course is $400 or $600, what kind of fundie can afford that?

and i wonder who that family is, are they a stock photo?

Could they run a repair business for only Christians? I think for them the appeal of offering their own courses is that they only have to teach like-minded Christians. If they ran a repair business they might have to work for a woman or a LGBT person, and I can't imagine Steve doing that.

Could they run a repair business for only Christians? I think for them the appeal of offering their own courses is that they only have to teach like-minded Christians. If they ran a repair business they might have to work for a woman or a LGBT person, and I can't imagine Steve doing that.

You know, that's a good point. I wonder if this is why they are not doing home remodeling anymore?

Supposedly Joseph decided he liked computer work better than remodeling and that is why they are not doing it. But, John seems to be very good with his hands (I swear, I don't mean that in a dirty way) so I wonder why he didn't continue the business.

Could be that was the reason.

Archived