IGNORED

So, same-sex marriage in Arkansas...

Caramel

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope gay marriage is eventually legal in every state. I don't know why it isn't now. And I wonder what the Duggars think of this.

Is it bad that my first reaction was a cackle? The Duggars are going to FLIP.

I just checked Smuggar's twitter and no mention of it yet. It is date night for him and Anna (i.e Chik Fil A and missionary position sex). :ew:

I'm still waiting to see if he specifically responds to it. He and SmugAnna are probably pissed about He did post this MLK quote on twitter about an hour ago “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Maybe that was his reply to what is going on in Arkansas. The day gay marriages will someday happen in Arkansas and I would love to be a fly on the wall of the TTH. Boob and Mullet are pissed right now, but when gay marriages start happening, they will no longer be the "the super important godly straight couple of Arkansas".

I'm still waiting to see if he specifically responds to it. He and SmugAnna are probably pissed about He did post this MLK quote on twitter about an hour ago “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.†Maybe that was his reply to what is going on in Arkansas. The day gay marriages will someday happen in Arkansas and I would love to be a fly on the wall of the TTH. Boob and Mullet are pissed right now, but when gay marriages start happening, they will no longer be the "the super important godly straight couple of Arkansas".

I don't understand.

Why would the perceptions the Duggar's have of themselves, or that others have of them, change because of same-sex marriage? Nothing in their lives will change.

I do not understand how the same sex marriage bans in every state did not get overturned after the supreme court ruled that prop 8 was unconstitutional. Why is every state having to go through a federal circuit court to come to the same conclusion? Can someone who has a law background explain this? I am a little embarrassed about my lack of knowledge of how the court hierarchy works.

The rationale used in Prop 8 was it pertained to California only, but it could used by the lower courts to cite as rationale to overturn the other bans.

Somewhere David Waller is privately rejoicing that his dreams of sharing sweet (marital) fellowship with a Duggar boy might be legal.

[*]obviously, y'all missed the memo. Gay marriage is going to destroy marriage. Now all the heterosexual couples have to get divorced and become gay. Jim Bob can't have sweet fellowship with Michelle anymore. Poor Jim Bob.

[*]obviously, y'all missed the memo. Gay marriage is going to destroy marriage. Now all the heterosexual couples have to get divorced and become gay. Jim Bob can't have sweet fellowship with Michelle anymore. Poor Jim Bob.
but lucky us.

Was just reading about this! Awww, the first couple to get married there is Mrs. lawlife's and I ages!

Alabama's next, hopefully. My family vacations there on the Gulf a lot and I don't want to have to worry about not having rights if something happened on vacation. It might also change some attitudes. One day, I walked on the beach there and wrote our names and the date of our engagement in the sand and drew some hearts (cheesy, I know, but she was back up north for work so I wanted a cute photo). I got my photo, but later, someone had written "Leviticus 18:22" under it.

This is from the Human Rights Campaign instagram. This couple probably has more wisdom than Josh and Anna.

2wpnyav.jpg

I don't understand.

Why would the perceptions the Duggar's have of themselves, or that others have of them, change because of same-sex marriage? Nothing in their lives will change.

Well, you know that and I know that. But I've never seen an argument against same-sex marriage that amounts to anything other than

1) what about the children? (They'll be just fine.)

2) Jesus doesn't like it! (Jesus says nothing about same-sex marriage in the bible. He doesn't like divorce, though.)

3) gay sex is icky! (So, um, if you think it's icky, then don't have any?)

4) same-sex couples marrying will devalue my straight marriage! (How? Be specific.)

I am also totally interested to see fundies quoting MLK now (totally out of context, but whatever). I thought they disliked him because of his politics.

It is weird to see the fun dies quoting MLK about same-sex marriage and gay rights in general. Gay rights was barely on the radar when Dr King was assassinated in 1968, but one of his most trusted advisors was Bayard Rustin who was gay. Without a doubt, Dr King would have been in favor of gay rights had he lived long enough. Coretta was.

President Obama awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom posthumously to Bayard Rustin in November 2013. Rustin's partner of 10 years accepted the award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_Rustin

This is so great to see this happening in Arkansas (just wish I was there!). I even recognize one of the first two women to get married; she used to be a volleyball player at the UofA.

IIRC, Loving vs. Virginia (the case that challenged that interracial marriage was illegal) overturned the ban nationwide after the supreme court decided it was illegal.

I love their last name. So perfect. This loving couple loved each other, and preferred being kicked out of Virginia and barred from returning over being forced to separate.

DOMA is illegal at the federal level. Once the other states have cases hit SCOTUS, their bans are dead in the water. Save the money used to fight, and just give in to the inevitable. Equal rights WILL be a reality coast to coast in our lifetimes. :cracking-up:

Yep--every June 12th is Loving Day in celebration of their case! There'll be an extra reason to celebrate this year!

I love their last name. So perfect. This loving couple loved each other, and preferred being kicked out of Virginia and barred from returning over being forced to separate.

DOMA is illegal at the federal level. Once the other states have cases hit SCOTUS, their bans are dead in the water. Save the money used to fight, and just give in to the inevitable. Equal rights WILL be a reality coast to coast in our lifetimes. :cracking-up:

I know. With the economy in the state its in and infrastructure crumbling, you'd think they'd have more important things to spend state funds on. It's a losing battle anyway, just accept that freedom will win out and move on.

I think that's exactly why conservatives like to focus so much on gay marriage and abortion. Their ideas suck, and they know it. They don't really care about the economy, as long as their own finances are ok, but that makes a shitty political platform. They're not entiely stupid. They know that the poor and middle class, women, and minorities will not vote against their own interests, and there are only so many very wealthy white men whose interests they do represent. So instead, they focus on how "christian" they are. "Morals, family values, and saving baybeez" gets the masses to vote you into office.

Yep--every June 12th is Loving Day in celebration of their case! There'll be an extra reason to celebrate this year!

It's also Russia Day...awkward... :P

Somewhere David Waller is privately rejoicing that his dreams of sharing sweet (marital) fellowship with a Duggar boy might be legal.

Nah, he's too smitten with Robert Staddon. I don't see him with a Duggar boy, anyway. Not good-looking enough.

This is so great to see this happening in Arkansas (just wish I was there!). I even recognize one of the first two women to get married; she used to be a volleyball player at the UofA.

Holy crap! I know her! Well, I use "know" loosely. We were in the same class in high school; we might've spoken once or twice. Good for her.

Archived