IGNORED

Brunei Adopts Shari'a Law

Tesseract

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. Please move if needed.

Brunei has now implemented Shari'a law.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/05/brunei-i ... haria-law/

Apparently, there is some backlash associated with the Beverly Hills Hotel, but who knows how much press or influence that will have, if any.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ills-hotel

A whole new set of lives to be tortured. :cry:

:( :( :(

It's so sad that so many "muslims country" have this politics. i would dream to go to Iran, Jordan, etc...

The positive thing is that famous people and organizations are speaking out against sharia law and boycotting the hotel chain that the sultan owns.

The hypocrisy is that I hear no protests against the hotels that are owned by Saudi royals.

:( :( :(

It's so sad that so many "muslims country" have this politics. i would dream to go to Iran, Jordan, etc...

Agreed. Another country crossed off my "to travel to"" list. :cry:

But actually, I feel this way about Mexico more than any other country. I would love nothing more than to visit and soak up the culture, food, and scenery (Which seems so incredibly vibrant from where I stand), but it is just not worth it. Too dangerous. I feel so sorry for all of the innocent people caught up in the cartel/drug trade mess.

But actually, I feel this way about Mexico more than any other country. I would love nothing more than to visit and soak up the culture, food, and scenery (Which seems so incredibly vibrant from where I stand), but it is just not worth it. Too dangerous. I feel so sorry for all of the innocent people caught up in the cartel/drug trade mess.

I know a lot of people who travel to Mexico frequently and according to them it really depends where you go, and that crossing out all of Mexico due to the cartels and violence is kind of akin to crossing out the U.S. Due to high gang activity in some areas.

Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Vuallerta and Cabo are pretty safe. Alcupolco (sp) not so much. Would love to go to Copper Canyon.

Sadly, we've got a swatch of people in the US who want Sharia law without realizing that what they advocate is literally the same thing.

Sadly, we've got a swatch of people in the US who want Sharia law without realizing that what they advocate is literally the same thing.

This. The Dominionists and Teabaggers are exactly like the Muslims that hate women. Only difference between them is one group worships Jesus Christ and the other don't.

I know a lot of people who travel to Mexico frequently and according to them it really depends where you go, and that crossing out all of Mexico due to the cartels and violence is kind of akin to crossing out the U.S. Due to high gang activity in some areas.

Thanks! I have visited the Rio Grande US side where it runs through the Santa Elena and one side of the canyon is Mexico. Gorgeous terrain. I would love to see the Mexico side. Apparently a number of years ago you could cross the river free of prosecution and visit the towns close by on the Mexico side. Now they are mostly dead because the kids are no longer permitted to attend US schools, and many families were cut off from one another. Sad, very sad. :cry:

This. The Dominionists and Teabaggers are exactly like the Muslims that hate women. Only difference between them is one group worships Jesus Christ and the other don't.

Yes, yes, yes! That is why I think women, like Lori et al., who talk about submit and submit more should try a month or so in a place where their 'ideals' of patriarchy and theocracy rule and see how that actually works out for them. :cray-cray:

• 10 months later...

Being a Muslim woman does not feel like being under the thumb of patriarchy. The places in this world that shut women up into homes and don't let them go to school or work have bastardized the teachings of the Quran and hadith, and not every Muslim country is like that.

I really wish people would stop it with the blanket statements and the pitying of "poor Muslim women." The problems in the Muslim world have more to do with tribalism than Islam. Many Westerners don't really care to understand the two. Also, many, many Muslims are completely against all of the various royal families. The money they have could end poverty in those countries forever. In Islam, those who lead countries will be ask on Judgement day about every single person they ruled over and why when they were poor or sick or suffering, the leader did not help.

Some surprising facts about Islam: 1) sex is for pleasure, not just procreation and foreplay is specifically necessary 2) abortion is ok in some instances 3) Muslims believe in Jesus (pbuh) as a prophet and Mary (Miriam) is the only female clearly identified by name in the Quran. She also has an entire chapter about her.

In true Sharia, women and men are equal.

Men and women are both to be well educated.

Women can ask for a divorce.

Women under Sharia have property rights (something not given to women in the West until about 150 years ago.)

Women are free to work out of the home and the money they earn is their's to keep.

Women are not to be forced to wear hijab, abayas or burkas. It's to be something the woman decides for herself.

Archived