IGNORED

Summary of Spring Days with the Moodys

Miggy

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just add to what the other NICU moms have said. Parents were basically allowed any time other than rounds although we were never kicked out then. Grandparents could visit once a week, I think. Well siblings of the baby could occasionally visit. Hands were to be washed and clean gowns were to be put on.

You also would probably not put a sick baby in a sleeper. Heck, Katherine didn't wear more than a diaper for months and she didn't even wear a diaper at first. She just lay on top of an unfolded diaper. It's more important for the staff to have unfettered access to the baby than it is for it to be wearing cute clothes. Only babies in the feeder/grower nursery waiting to be discharged wore much in the way of clothes.

Does Sarah not know that clefts can be surgically corrected?

Btw, I'm another fan of The Goodies. I'll have to see if they have old episodes on youtube.

Did Mr Delome and Mrs Baugwell have chaperoned courtship?

Of course--otherwise they'd be far too sluttacious for a Moody book. Wondering whether the minister made it a point to mention "Even though these two SINNERS have COPULATED before this wedding and are NO LONGER VIRGINS..." [and the congregation sobs] during the marriage sermon.

Agree with all the NICU stuff. In our hospital kids can't visit even the regular maternity floor during flu season and the NICU is off limits at all times.

Also, unless the mother received essentially no pre-natal care, it would be very unusual for a baby to be born with a cleft palate without the parents knowing about it. The 20 week U/S usually shows them. Otherwise, I completely agree with Miggy that the birth of a child other than the "perfect" baby you've been expecting is unbelievably difficult and not easily taken care of by a "god made him that way".

Agree with all the NICU stuff. In our hospital kids can't visit even the regular maternity floor during flu season and the NICU is off limits at all times.

Also, unless the mother received essentially no pre-natal care, it would be very unusual for a baby to be born with a cleft palate without the parents knowing about it. The 20 week U/S usually shows them. Otherwise, I completely agree with Miggy that the birth of a child other than the "perfect" baby you've been expecting is unbelievably difficult and not easily taken care of by a "god made him that way".

Did the baby in the story have a cleft palate or just a cleft lip? Would a cleft lip show up in an ultrasound?

I'm not being snarky here--just wondering. 30+ years ago, ultrasounds were not used routinely during pregnancies. My cousin's son, who is about 33, was born with a severe cleft lip/palate, and everyone found out for the first time in the delivery room.

Did the baby in the story have a cleft palate or just a cleft lip? Would a cleft lip show up in an ultrasound?

I'm not being snarky here--just wondering. 30+ years ago, ultrasounds were not used routinely during pregnancies. My cousin's son, who is about 33, was born with a severe cleft lip/palate, and everyone found out for the first time in the delivery room.

Yes, modern ultrasounds do pick up most cleft lips and almost all cleft palates. It's unlikely it would be a surprise.

Yes, modern ultrasounds do pick up most cleft lips and almost all cleft palates. It's unlikely it would be a surprise.

Hey, these are fundies. Mrs. Parker(?) probably refused ALL the prenatal care (even ultrasounds) because it shows a lack of faith in the LORD.

I wonder where Sarah got the idea that young children r allowed to go into a NICU to see a child that's not even their sibling. Cause like the others have said that dosent make sence.

IF parents were taking small children to see a baby that they knew had a cleft palate, wouldn't they have had this discussion in the car before they got there (Mrs. Smith's baby's mouth may look a little different, but it is healthy and ok otherwise. This is one of those things that happens sometimes, and the doctors will do surgery when the baby is older etc etc etc...

Of course, I can't imagine non related kids going to see a new baby in the hospital in the first place.

I wonder where Sarah got the idea that young children r allowed to go into a NICU to see a child that's not even their sibling. Cause like the others have said that dosent make sence.

I'm guessing when Susannah was in NICU they snuck Mary who would have been 10-11 then in to see her. I'm sure Stevie thinks hospital rules don't apply to him cuz he is on God's speedial.

I'm guessing when Susannah was in NICU they snuck Mary who would have been 10-11 then in to see her. I'm sure Stevie thinks hospital rules don't apply to him cuz he is on God's speedial.

Your probably right! I am sure they tried to get Mary in.

Your probably right! I am sure they tried to get Mary in.

Well, that was a situation where they knew Susannah was going to pass away and I think she had a private room (or it looked like she did). They had members of their nursing home congregation come visit, as well.

Pastor Thompson wants to talk to Dad. The assisted-living home want somebody to run their service.

OK, now I am 100% convinced that Sarah is more or less incapable of writing anything that hasn't happened to her personally.

I loved McClure's book. One day I am going to pack up my east coast self and go on my own Laura pilgrimage. But that will have to wait until my special needs dogs have crossed the rainbow bridge.

Do it! The pageant in Walnut Grove is actually very beautiful and moving, but there is nothing in this world that will give you goosebumps like hearing the church bell ringing in WG on a Sunday morning and knowing it's the one that Pa donated his boot money to help pay for.

Miggy, my daughters and I thank you for a good laugh this afternoon. Homeschooled teenage girls who are incredulous at the descriptions of how these people live. We laughed, we cried (in depression over how miserable those poor kids' lives are), we eagerly awaited your next installments.

Do it! The pageant in Walnut Grove is actually very beautiful and moving, but there is nothing in this world that will give you goosebumps like hearing the church bell ringing in WG on a Sunday morning and knowing it's the one that Pa donated his boot money to help pay for.

It gave me goosebumps just to read your description!

Someday my daughters and I are going to take off for a couple of weeks and do them all (barring Almanzo's house in NY, that will have to be a separate trip). I want to take my time. I need to sit on the bank of Plum Creek for an entire afternoon. Ditto sitting under the cottonwood trees Pa planted on the homestead outside De Smet. :violin: And oh lord, don't get me started on their graves. I am a cemetery hound anyway, sitting by their graves will just do me right in.

Sarah, hon? Mothers who had a sick baby, especially if the delivery was unexpected, especially less then two days after a c-section when all the nice painkillers have worn off and the pain has begun in earnest, would want to entertain the neighbours' kids lke they want a hole in the head. I had a hard time even with my much beloved aunts and adult cousins.

Please tell Ma Moody it's incredibly inconsiderate to even think about visiting with a gaggle of kids in tow. Poor Mrs. Parker, having to keep sweet throuout all this.

It gave me goosebumps just to read your description!

Someday my daughters and I are going to take off for a couple of weeks and do them all (barring Almanzo's house in NY, that will have to be a separate trip). I want to take my time. I need to sit on the bank of Plum Creek for an entire afternoon. Ditto sitting under the cottonwood trees Pa planted on the homestead outside De Smet. :violin: And oh lord, don't get me started on their graves. I am a cemetery hound anyway, sitting by their graves will just do me right in.

I had completely forgotten that the church bell Pa helped pay for is still there. :cry: And I'm usually pretty stoic in cemeteries, I keep it all inside, but I will bawl like a baby when I see their graves. :cry:

Wonder how my headship will feel about going on a Laura pilgrimage when he retires from teaching in a few years? :lol:

I had completely forgotten that the church bell Pa helped pay for is still there. :cry: And I'm usually pretty stoic in cemeteries, I keep it all inside, but I will bawl like a baby when I see their graves. :cry:

Wonder how my headship will feel about going on a Laura pilgrimage when he retires from teaching in a few years? :lol:

My senior year of college, all the friends went to FL, but my mom & I went to Laura's farm in MO. We were in shock to SEE Pa's actual fiddle. It was mindblowing. I GOTTA order that CD for my mom- she named my sister Laura Elizabeth after Laura.

I love Laura, but my heart is with Anne Shirley. The headship and I are going to PEI next year (his suggestion!) to make the pilgrimage. I can't believe I'm going to see Green Gables for real!

Chapter 20. Exploding Surprises

Kids have finished school for the year and they are organising a celebration. I think it is meant to be a surprise because Mollie is going to make sandwiches in the bathroom (yes, you read that correctly, the bathroom) and Max is going to bake the brownies at Grandmas. Mom sends Mitch to Grandpas to borrow a dozen eggs. Mitch is worried. They are preparing a special lunch and now Mom is going to spoil it by preparing a special lunch. Grandpa and Dad sort it out. Now Mom thinks Dad is bringing home a treat. Kids are worried it will rain and their picnic will be spoilt.

Mollie makes peanut butter sandwiches in the back bathroom. Max & Mitch cut up apples and carrots. Grandpa brings over brownies.

Dad comes home. Kids set up a blanket on the lawn. Thunder - hope it doesn't rain. They lead Mom outside with her eyes closed. Surprise! Kids feed the twins so Mom can relax and eat her peanut butter sandwich. They have forgotten something. Mollie runs inside and comes back with a box and some cards. They have made Mom eight chocolate truffles.

Thunder storm. The mailman arrives with a package which Dad must sign for. Everyone races inside. Tornado sirens sound. Dad suggests the mailman shelter with them but he declines. The dog chases after the mailman. Max tries to chase after the dog but Dad calls him back. Dad gets the family into the house then goes to catch the dog. He has to carry her to the house. Dad is very wet. The picnic food is still outside but they have saved the truffles. Dad turns on the radio. There will be large hail stones but the tornado warning is cancelled. (Is it normal for a tornado siren to sound and then have the warning cancelled by the time you get inside? Sounds unlikely to me but I'm willing to be educated by someone who lives in a tornado area.)

"Praise The Lord everything's ok here. Since our lunch is ruined, I'm going to call and order pizza." (Thanks Dad! We're all safe inside. Let's get the poor pizza delivery guy to come out in the storm. Ugh. Fundies really don't go in for empathy, do they?)

They decide to look at the package that Dad signed for while they wait for their pizza. It's a toy plane sent by Aunt Olga from Colorado. She has sent them the money to go and visit her in Colorado. (Ah, the topic of the next book.)

Chapter 20. Exploding Surprises

Kids have finished school for the year and they are organising a celebration. I think it is meant to be a surprise because Mollie is going to make sandwiches in the bathroom (yes, you read that correctly, the bathroom) and Max is going to bake the brownies at Grandmas. Mom sends Mitch to Grandpas to borrow a dozen eggs. Mitch is worried. They are preparing a special lunch and now Mom is going to spoil it by preparing a special lunch. Grandpa and Dad sort it out. Now Mom thinks Dad is bringing home a treat. Kids are worried it will rain and their picnic will be spoilt.

Mollie makes peanut butter sandwiches in the back bathroom. Max & Mitch cut up apples and carrots. Grandpa brings over brownies.

Dad comes home. Kids set up a blanket on the lawn. Thunder - hope it doesn't rain. They lead Mom outside with her eyes closed. Surprise! Kids feed the twins so Mom can relax and eat her peanut butter sandwich. They have forgotten something. Mollie runs inside and comes back with a box and some cards. They have made Mom eight chocolate truffles.

Thunder storm. The mailman arrives with a package which Dad must sign for. Everyone races inside. Tornado sirens sound. Dad suggests the mailman shelter with them but he declines. The dog chases after the mailman. Max tries to chase after the dog but Dad calls him back. Dad gets the family into the house then goes to catch the dog. He has to carry her to the house. Dad is very wet. The picnic food is still outside but they have saved the truffles. Dad turns on the radio. There will be large hail stones but the tornado warning is cancelled. (Is it normal for a tornado siren to sound and then have the warning cancelled by the time you get inside? Sounds unlikely to me but I'm willing to be educated by someone who lives in a tornado area.)

"Praise The Lord everything's ok here. Since our lunch is ruined, I'm going to call and order pizza." (Thanks Dad! We're all safe inside. Let's get the poor pizza delivery guy to come out in the storm. Ugh. Fundies really don't go in for empathy, do they?)

They decide to look at the package that Dad signed for while they wait for their pizza. It's a toy plane sent by Aunt Olga from Colorado. She has sent them the money to go and visit her in Colorado. (Ah, the topic of the next book.)

On the tornado thing: The warning is usually issued when conditions are good for a tornado (often because a funnel cloud has been seen forming on radar or something similar), and it usually lasts for a few hours, ime. That means you keep an eye on the weather conditions, but you still go about your day. When the sirens sound, that means take cover immediately. If they stop sounding, that doesn't mean the warning has been cancelled -- just that the immediate danger has likely passed. That's how it works here, anyway.

And there's no way I'd run out to chase after a dog if tornado sirens were blaring. I'd probably be worried sick, but the odds are good that the dog will find shelter and be safer than I would running around trying to find him.

Bless you for reading this Miggy. You deserve some sort of Free Jinger award for reading the most boring fundie fiction book ever.

Awww. I'm sad it's ended. I can't wait for thrills and hijinks of the next one.

(Who's volunteering? :shifty-kitty: )

What in the hell would possess Sarah to write that the food was prepared in the bathroom? That is just stupid. She couldn't think of anywhere else? Like a bedroom? Outside? An office? Come on!

And how special, PBJ sandwiches. Such a special treat. Yikes.

Note that there are 8 truffles (that the kids made....when? and in the bathroom?). There are enough truffles Mom, Dad and kids - but not the grandparents, who, it sounds like, attended the picnic.

Archived