IGNORED

Memorial to the Missing

nomoxian

I thought this tread was about the missing plane, or the 9-11 victims...

No, our fundies can't be concerned with actual people who were once living, breathing, and making plans.

How about a memorial to the actual born, sentient, desperately wanted and loved children who've died in the past year from hunger or dirty water or everyday childhood diseases?

Even if you believe in abortion - why not do something to help them first?

Or, better yet, people who are actually missing, like kidnapping victims, runaways, people with memory problems who wandered away, etc.

Why pennies though? Surely they could have represented all the abortions with any visual that wouldn't be a slap in the face to poor people who have to walk by it. Not to mention, many women who have abortions do so out of financial issues. So really, if these jackasses wanted to stop abortion, they'd take those pennies and put it towards providing health and human services. But I guess that is too pro-life for the pro-birth crowd.

I think you could get underneath it and put a hole in it to get the pennies out. What about a shop vac? Or ten? Suck the pennies out through a hole in the ground in the middle of the night, then wheel the shop vacs home. As someone said above, take the pennies to the grocery store change machines, then donate the money to Planned Parenthood or something.

If anyone steals those pennies for real, we may become suspects.

What is the big deal about abortion??? I don't agree with it and can't imagine having one, but if a woman wants to get an abortion who the hell cares. It's not my body nor my life that's being affected. Why can't we focus on things that matter. Donate that money to help save babies lives not moan and bitch about abortion. :pull-hair:

I don't know, I think there is a pretty common desire amongst pro-choice women to assure everyone that they're ok with other people's abortions but "can't imagine having one". I'm not trying to attack you, but I think that can be pretty damaging. I try to shift the conversation whenever possible to the idea that maybe abortion isn't as damaging as everyone is lead to believe. Yes, some women have horrible experiences and live with their decision in a troubling way, but many don't. A simple google search will lead you to many women who say that their abortions were as minimally upsetting as a medical procedure can be, and there isn't anything wrong with that. I don't know, I don't like how we look at abortion as something that will affect a woman negatively- that just isn't the case across the board, there's no reason to act like it is except to appease people who don't like abortion.

So I'll say it this way- if I ever find myself pregnant and feel that abortion is the best way to handle the pregnancy, so be it. That's what I will do.

I don't know, I think there is a pretty common desire amongst pro-choice women to assure everyone that they're ok with other people's abortions but "can't imagine having one". I'm not trying to attack you, but I think that can be pretty damaging. I try to shift the conversation whenever possible to the idea that maybe abortion isn't as damaging as everyone is lead to believe. Yes, some women have horrible experiences and live with their decision in a troubling way, but many don't. A simple google search will lead you to many women who say that their abortions were as minimally upsetting as a medical procedure can be, and there isn't anything wrong with that. I don't know, I don't like how we look at abortion as something that will affect a woman negatively- that just isn't the case across the board, there's no reason to act like it is except to appease people who don't like abortion.

So I'll say it this way- if I ever find myself pregnant and feel that abortion is the best way to handle the pregnancy, so be it. That's what I will do.

And I'll say it this way - if I ever find myself pregnant, I will have an abortion.

It's mind boggling that in Germany the public healthcare system won't pay for an abortion, but they do pay to allow women to stay at home to take care of the baby. :cray-cray: I don't think women should be forced into the workplace while their baby is taken care of by someone else, but I do think abortion should also be covered. No wonder so many people here have kids!

They could have donated the money to help pregnant women living in poverty care for their children. That would be the the truly pro-life thing to do.

There was a time I was almost faced with the problem. I was over two weeks late for my period (I wasn't pregnant, thank god) and trying to figure out what I would do. Especially since the baby was planned by my partner but not me (he purposefully destroyed the condom in hopes I would end up pregnant and then he could force me to marry him). After many sleepless nights, I realized that while I'll never stop a woman from having an abortion, I couldn't do it myself. But, unlike other women, I have options. My parents wouldn't have disowned me, my grandparents wouldn't have disowned me, my best friend's son was adopted by wonderful people who are looking to adopt again, etc. There are many people who aren't as fortunate as I am (one of my friends is currently 6 months pregnant; her family told her to get an abortion or she wasn't welcome around them anymore; she's keeping the baby and they're not going to be part of her life).

It's absolutely ridiculous to say that if all 50 million abortions had not gone ahead there would be 50 million more people alive today. In fact, if no abortions had occurred for that period a huge number of people currently alive today would not be here. If I had not had a miscarriage, my youngest daughter would not be here. It would have been physically impossible for her to have been born as I conceived at the time I would have been 5 months pregnant with the miscarriage. If my friend hadn't had an abortion as a 17 year old, she would never have been able to go away to college, marry her soul-mate and have the 3 children she currently has. This display is hopelessly naive and does nothing to further the intellectual debate.

It's absolutely ridiculous to say that if all 50 million abortions had not gone ahead there would be 50 million more people alive today. In fact, if no abortions had occurred for that period a huge number of people currently alive today would not be here. If I had not had a miscarriage, my youngest daughter would not be here. It would have been physically impossible for her to have been born as I conceived at the time I would have been 5 months pregnant with the miscarriage. If my friend hadn't had an abortion as a 17 year old, she would never have been able to go away to college, marry her soul-mate and have the 3 children she currently has. This display is hopelessly naive and does nothing to further the intellectual debate.

They don't care about an intellectual debate. They care about manipulating emotions and shaming people.

Archived