IGNORED

Egalitarian Christians Who Condemn Homosexuality: Thoughts?

fiery redhead

Looking into The Junia Project sparked this interest. This movement states in their About page:

We believe that when interpreted correctly, the Bible teaches that both men and women are called to serve at all levels of the Church, and that leadership should be based primarily on gifting and not on gender
Their side of the controversial Junia debate, which is rather taboo among the wide spectrum of Christians that I have seen, is that Junias, an apostle mentioned in Romans 16:7, was really a woman, hence the name, The Junia Project. In regards to women submitting to their husbands (Ephesians 5:22-23), they believe that this was not
implied
by Paul, but merely
inferred
(The way the article http://juniaproject.com/male-authority-implied-bible/ that explained this was a bit confusing to me but I'd LOVE to hear someone's thoughts. It was the closest thing on the website that to directly refuting the infamous Ephesians passage on the website) I cold go on, but you get the idea; here's the main point: towards the end of their statement reads
◾We believe in the family, celibate singleness, and faithful heterosexual marriage as God’s design.
(emphasis mine) I guess when Paul listed homosexuality as part of the sinful nature he wasn't implying or inferring :doh: Thoughts?

Paul did not list homosexuality. The Greek word for that is "omofilia", and it is a modern Greek word for homosexual. The term Paul uses is "arsenokoitis", which translators sloppily imply means homosexual. The truth is most linguists will tell you they are not sure what exactly Paul meant by that term, but that the best guess is catamite or male prostitute.

Homosexual relationships between two equals with an agape, or spiritual love component, was not the practice of Graeco-Roman men. Upper class Greek men formed mentor relationships with teenagers, but it was an understood unequal relationship. Also, being the "submissive" partner was considered being conquered.

Their side of the controversial Junia debate, which is rather taboo among the wide spectrum of Christians that I have seen, is that Junias, an apostle mentioned in Romans 16:7, was really a woman, hence the name, The Junia Project.

There was no Junias. The name is given as 'Junias' in only a minority of manuscripts. The vast majority have 'Junia'. Whether Junia was male or female is not stated anywhere but a man called Junia would have been a bit odd. There are multiple women in the New Testament who have very prominent roles and are highly regarded by Paul, so Junia (if female, which I'm sure she was) is not a rare specimen.

Archived