IGNORED

Shining stars - magazine for fundie girls

djibouti

Wow I didn't know Sarah and Teri went to visit them in Alaska. That really surprises me. The maxwells don't usually have friends like that

Maybe it was before they became so extreme? I think they users to have at least surface friends before that.

And here is a MIND BLOWING FACT: Papa Pilgrim and family, while on a road trip, actually stopped and visited STEVE MAXWELL AND FAMILY many moons ago.

No way!!!! :shock: I'm not sure what to make of the Maxwells after reading this. Disturbing.

Also, I am in no way a fan of fundies or their lifestyles, but I think in this case, the Hales being taken in by the Buckinghams was one of the best possible outcomes. I think for those kids (especially the older ones) to have to adjust to living secularly would be too stressful and traumatic. Now at least they are living the way they know without the abuse.

No way!!!! :shock: I'm not sure what to make of the Maxwells after reading this. Disturbing.

Also, I am in no way a fan of fundies or their lifestyles, but I think in this case, the Hales being taken in by the Buckinghams was one of the best possible outcomes. I think for those kids (especially the older ones) to have to adjust to living secularly would be too stressful and traumatic. Now at least they are living the way they know without the abuse.

Just think of how much therapy Sarah Maxwell alone would need to even function in the fundie lite world let alone the secular one.

I don't think the Maxwells ever had anything to do w Pa Pilgrim. I think they knew the other bloke from way back but they've only known the Hales kids since the rwo families amalgumated.

I don't think the Maxwells ever had anything to do w Pa Pilgrim. I think they knew the other bloke from way back but they've only known the Hales kids since the rwo families amalgumated.

Yes, he knew Mr Buckingham from the military.

I got a detail wrong earlier - it was two Buckingham girls marrying Hale sons, not vis versa. They had the traditional uber fundie no touch courtships, and when one of the daughters wrote her article for shining stars she had four kids under four with one on the way. The last comment she made on the article she had five under six and another coming.

Her comments about Mama Pilgrim disturb me - the Buckinghams have pretty much taken her younger children from her because they didn't consider that she was raising them correctly.

Now Country Rose was surely traumatised when she finally got away from Papa Pilgrim, who had married her and knocked her up at 16. She may have been incapable of parenting. But the impression I get from the few comments by the Buckinghams I have read here and there make me think she simply didn't want to be an extremist fundamentalist anymore, especially as that lifestyle had damaged her and her children so badly.

It's lovely the Buckinghams took in the Hales and helped them when they were obviously desperate. I'm in no way minimising that. But the Buckinghams are Maxwell style fundies - to the point that Steve allows Sarah to be friends with and visit the daughters and one of the daughters illustrated some Moody books.

In the Shining Stars article, Sharia Hale nee Buckingham talks about how she had made an idol out of a friendship with another Christian girl and had to burn anything that reminded her of that girl and cut off contact to make God her priority again.

The Buckinghams may not be sexually assaulting their children and dragging them round the country in old buses, but they are still scary isolationists.

Ending with some good news - the daughter who was repeatedly raped by Papa Pilgrim has since married.

There's so much horrible stuff in this thread! I can hardly believe it. Looked at the "about" page on this site and this jumped out at me:

We believe that we should walk in obedience to our Heavenly Fathers instructions/commandments; those found in the Tanach (Old Covenant), as well as the Brit Chadasha (New Covenant). We observe the Biblical feasts spoken of in Leviticus 23, the dietary laws of Leviticus 11 and the seventh-day Sabbath. We also prefer to use the Hebrew Names – YHWH and Yeshua.

So they're essentially wannabe Jews... keeping the feasts and dietary laws (wtf!), using only the Hebrew names of God. They also call the "New Covenant" by a Hebrew name, disregarding the fact that the New Testament was actually written in Koine Greek. They also disregard the entire point of the New Testament by saying they have to keep the Mosaic law - "no longer live as gentiles" - nope! It actually says you shouldn't touch the mosaic law with a 10-foot-pole (see Galatians 5 - and yes, pun intended, if you know the text). Very mixed up people. Definitely a step beyond most VF-style fundies.

There's so much horrible stuff in this thread! I can hardly believe it. Looked at the "about" page on this site and this jumped out at me:

So they're essentially wannabe Jews... keeping the feasts and dietary laws (wtf!), using only the Hebrew names of God. They also call the "New Covenant" by a Hebrew name, disregarding the fact that the New Testament was actually written in Koine Greek. They also disregard the entire point of the New Testament by saying they have to keep the Mosaic law - "no longer live as gentiles" - nope! It actually says you shouldn't touch the mosaic law with a 10-foot-pole (see Galatians 5 - and yes, pun intended, if you know the text). Very mixed up people. Definitely a step beyond most VF-style fundies.

Exactly what I don't understand... we have celebrated some feasts in the past, but as Christians we know that we are not bound by the old testament. And yes that part about the Hebrew names... :think:

Looks like she has 6 kids now

facebook.com/profile.php?id=1810844594&ref=ts&fref=ts

What a life :(

Going through there you can easily find Joshua's page too. He really looks like he has come a long way from his horrific upbringing.

Interestingly enough, the Maxwells are friends with the Buck-Hales family(the combined family that formed after Pa Pilgrim was arrested).

The Buckinghams were stationed in Kansas and homeschooled there during the years that the Maxwells were the leaders of the local group. I remember Sharia as a little girl--very bright and sweet. I think her mother was a missionary kid and her father was a career military officer--maybe West Point, if I remember correctly. I believe both parents had at least a bachelor's degree and the father a master's. I know nothing about the Hales, except what has been published.

She reminds me a bit of Esther Shrader.

I wonder why they named her Sharia? Isnt that a Muslim thing?

Her given name was Tischaria, if I remember correctly.

Archived