IGNORED

God Is Not Dead-- Persecuted Christian Film (Merge)

rhianna

http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/

I just found some info about this on another forum I read. Does anyone know anything about this movie? Is it being financed by fundies we know of?

Apparently the premise is that a college professor demands that all his students, on the first day of class, write "God Is Dead" on a slip of paper and pass it forward. Righteous Young Christian refuses to, and over the course of some days convinces Evil Atheist Professor that he's wrong. As a former attendee of a Evil Secular College, I can assure you this type of scenario happens on a daily basis, in between fornication and baby-murdering sessions.

Anyhoo, it's got a decent cast, with some people I have heard of before (Kevin Sorbo, Dean Cain) . . .

This sounds like one of those campus urban legends, like the religious studies professor who failed his class for ignoring a homeless man that was really himself in disguise, or the philosophy test where the only question was "Why?" and a student got a B- for answering "Why not?"

• 5 weeks later...

They're showing trailers for this in the UK, heaven knows why. I can't imagine our nice moderate Christians doing anything other than roll their eyes at this dreck.

God's Not Dead! - a heartwarming movie about one persecuted Christian student who takes a brave stand against the atheists who persecute Christians, because that's how we roll.

Links to two super reviews and plot synopsis from following this link: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lookingclo ... -not-fair/

I'm sure as hell not spending a tenner of my own money on seeing this, but the plot seems to be: American student is taking philosophy classes in America, a country pretty well known for his high number of feisty religious believers and commitment to freedom of belief.

Atheist philosophy professor requires students to write 'God is Dead' so that they don't need to waste class time discussing whether God exists, because that's what philosophy courses consist of. You don't write it, you fail the course.

Now imagine the firestorm if that happened in real life - fury in the national news, protests descending on college, lawsuits, death threats, retraction and abject apology from the college, and (unless tenure stopped them) removal of professor for unethical behaviour and quite right too (and I'm a hardcore atheist).

But no! In the world of the film, everyone in the class meekly does what they're told - except for one brave Christian student, who single-handedly takes the professor on, wins round the whole class, demolishes the prof's arguments, converts the non-Christians etc etc.

Turns out the prof actually believes in God but is angry with him. Then God kills him in a car crash.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone seen this?

There has been a lot of talk about this since it was released last month (at least it was released here last month). The general consensus that I have seen is that the movie is a big pile of one-sided shit. It is unrealistic with cardboard characters who fit a very specific stereotype (religious = good, atheist = evil). It is 1.5 hours of absolute confirmation bias. The worst part about it is that the main character is played by Hercules and he is a terrible actor.

Sounds like this.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/chalk.asp

Versions of which I have been hearing for decades. Very popular glurge with the believer crowd, well some of them. It's one of those 'a friend of a friends cousin's brothers uncles grandfather...." kind of stories.

Wasn't there a Chick track along these lines as well?

My aunt made a post of Facebook stating that she has just watched the film. She's a hardcore evangelical but nothing close to a fundie. Still, I can't wait to be grilled about my own personal faith when I see her next. I'm working in my PhD and hoping to teach someday so I can only guess that her whole side of the family will start fearing for my soul, lest the dirty atheist cabal of academia convert me. Too late! I stopped going to church before I even left for college.

My cousin, who is 13, sent me a text message that said, "God is not dead." Apparently the movie encourages viewers to do this after watching, because there's no better means of evangelizing than a group MMS, right? I had no idea wtf she was talking about, so I replied, "Oh really? How do you know this?" Apparently the movie says so, so it must be true. BRB, I'm going to my private island to hang out with Jeff Goldblum and the dinosaurs I cloned from amber fossils.

This sounds like one of those campus urban legends, like the religious studies professor who failed his class for ignoring a homeless man that was really himself in disguise, or the philosophy test where the only question was "Why?" and a student got a B- for answering "Why not?"

Or the one where a prof assigns the essay question asking for ten ways to combat communism, and an unprepared student writes down the Ten Commandments, and gets an A.

I have zero intention of seeing this movie, but I thank you for mentioning upthread that the reason the prof made people write the notes was so they wouldn't discuss it for the rest of the semester. I read a synopsis of the movie elsewhere and couldn't figure out why the prof would care if others believed in God or not.

Because the whole point of tertiary education is to turn young ppl into pinko atheists, don't you know?

My cousin, who is 13, sent me a text message that said, "God is not dead." Apparently the movie encourages viewers to do this after watching, because there's no better means of evangelizing than a group MMS, right? I had no idea wtf she was talking about, so I replied, "Oh really? How do you know this?" Apparently the movie says so, so it must be true. BRB, I'm going to my private island to hang out with Jeff Goldblum and the dinosaurs I cloned from amber fossils.

That explains my Facebook newsfeed for the past 6 weeks. Man, evangelicals have to worst taste in movies.

A delightful podcast taking the movie apart point by point: http://read-weep.com/#!/episode.php/gods-not-dead

Not breaking link because they're on our side. 8-)

Hey, RIAW! I've fallen way behind on their podcast. For anyone who doesn't already know, they did an episode on 19KAC. http://read-weep.com/#!/episode.php/19- ... d-counting

Movie like this and the "Left Behind" series are proof to me that Christianity is dying in the US, despite the presence of noisy outliers like the quiverfull/patriarchy crowd. If your cultural output consists of kitschy morality plays that only appeal to the converted, you're irrelevant. People of all faiths and no faith at all can enjoy the Sistine Chapel or Milton's "Paradise Lost." No one outside of the self-imposed evangelical ghetto will enjoy "God is Not Dead."

Of course it's not dead. Something needs to have lived in order to be dead, or, at a stretch, to have existed in order to cease existing.

But, if god's not dead then who's manning the judge-a-thon in heaven?

As a college professor at a Christian school who tries every day to teach my students that faith and deep thought can and should coexist, this film makes me so angry. As if Evangelicals needed more reasons to further anti-intellectualism. Ugh. My students have already started raving about the film, and I just can't.

DO NOT USE THE PORT A POTTY!

Archived