IGNORED

Best/Your Favorite News Sources

Janes Heir

What news sites/channels do you folks read/watch?

My phone just updated its Newstand app, so I'm figuring out what to subscribe to. My leanings are definitely to progressive commentary (Thom Hartman on RT, activist blogs like Waging Nonviolence, some Rachel Maddow) but I might benefit from some more range.

Also I'm wondering if any of our Canadian members have thoughts on the best Canadian sources. Any news-related podcasts would also be interesting.

I try to read/listen to both progressive and conservative sources. Lately (always?), the progressive sites are kind of circle jerky with how progressive they are and how the conservatives are so evil/misguided/ignorant and the conservatives are the same with their anti liberal propaganda. I can't stand 24 hour TV news because it's boring and ratings driven. (not that tv and web aren't). So.. NPR? That's probably my favorite.

On the podcast front, everything the BBC World Service puts out is generally awesome. Very well researched and globally orientated.

On the podcast front, everything the BBC World Service puts out is generally awesome. Very well researched and globally orientated.

Oh, great idea. Will look that up.

All I need is the BBC. Most American news sources are complete crap when you're looking for international news!

I read Slate Afrique (exists only in French) http://www.slateafrique.com/ , it's a website who give information about Africa. Really interresting.

If I'm on a news site, I see if it is "holistic", it is not concentrated in my country (no information on the weather), and that there is not trivalities, misceleanous, local news (murder, etc ...), or buzz (like "the president cheated on his wife") for the rest, I check this site is pro-choice, anti-death penalty, and preferably anti-capitaliste, where people interviewed are not always white cisgender heterosexual old men. For this last point, I have no found website really good at this :/

, where people interviewed are not always white cisgender heterosexual old men. For this last point, I have no found website really good at this :/

It's quite US centric (based in Portland) but have you tried Bitch Media?

Courrier International is fairly good news wise. Translates Global articles into French, an interesting idea.

I also like The Economist, although it can be pricy, simply because they keep the fluff to a minimum and provide a bit more global balance.

I also like The Economist, although it can be pricy, simply because they keep the fluff to a minimum and provide a bit more global balance.

If you use IFTTT (ifttt.com) and Pocket- or I assume any other RSS reader facility- you can get all the content of the print edition sent your way for free. Just saw it in a Lifehacker article today.

Article here: http://lifehacker.com/keep-up-with-brea ... 1534913719

IFTTT recipe here: https://ifttt.com/recipes/126817-econom ... nt-edition

Hope this is of use.

Archived