IGNORED

Couple's second child dies from failed faith healing

Cleopatra7

I know that there are some who say that some children will need to die to protect the first amendment, but I think that this couple deserved to get more than 3.5-7 years in prison for this:

http://news.yahoo.com/pa-couple-sent-pr ... ZJUDI2NF8x

(link not broken because it's a news site)

Why is it that when a child dies from straightforward abuse or neglect, the book is thrown at a couple, But mention that your religion forbids medical treatment for children or that the Lord has laid it on your heart to use a "rod of correction" to beat the demons out of your child and you're treated with kid gloves. I guess I should be glad that they got prison at all... :cray-cray:

Their pastor, Nelson Clark, blamed Kent's death on a "spiritual lack" in the parents' lives

:( pastors can be so influential in a person's life. No wonder these parents were withholding treatment (not excusing it) - they've probably been raised to think they'll go to hell if they do.

The father's lawyer simply needs to learn these two word: No Comment. The video on this article about the case shows him saying but for these two incidents he's the perfect dad. Considering these two incidents resulted in the death of children he's not dong his client any favors but trying to defend him in this manner.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 24671.html

They should have both been sent to prison after the first child died. Since they were not, the children should have been monitored by Social Services. Since even this did not happen (just an order to get the kids yearly checkups with no one following through to see if it was done), now a second baby is dead. That is NOT enough jail time for these "parents".

At least their other children are in foster homes, going to public school, and getting medical care NOW. These parents need to be crushed and made an example, but they won't be because religion gets waved around like a bloody shirt. :disgust:

The pastor also should be doing time.

A-fuckin'-men. That pastor has no right to give medical advice. And how many other parents at this church are refusing to seek medical treatment for their children because of what this man preaches? I hope we never find out.

Ugh. This makes me sick. I have a friend who almost died because of a "faith healing" for appendicitis when she was a child. Her mother finally stepped in (I think!) and told the father that, no, they were taking my friend to the hospital.

If an adult makes the decision to pray rather than seek medical care for their own illness or injury, go for it. To make that decision for a child is wrong on many levels. The law should be clear that the practice of faith healing should apply to adults only and not to children who are unable to speak for themselves. How they and their pastor can condone a child suffering is beyond my ability to comprehend.

If an adult makes the decision to pray rather than seek medical care for their own illness or injury, go for it. To make that decision for a child is wrong on many levels. The law should be clear that the practice of faith healing should apply to adults only and not to children who are unable to speak for themselves. How they and their pastor can condone a child suffering is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I believe the supreme court said exactly that. Jehovah's witnesses can refuse blood but not for their kids. These two clearly broke the law. And the bible doesn't guarantee anyone an illness or death free life. Even the snake handling preacher took his baby to the hospital when she was sick!

Along with the parents, someone needs to investigate how the courts dropped the ball and basically allowed Kent to die on their watch.

Yes, these parents were crazy. We KNEW that already, since there was already a dead baby. How the hell did this not automatically become a child protection case? Why were the surviving children left with those parents, and why was there no social worker making regular visits to check up on them? The existing probation order was completely inadequate. The state knew that these parents would not seek medical assistance, no matter how serious the situation. Once a year medical check-ups wouldn't do a thing to ensure that a child would get care if they suddenly got sick. There was no other "pair of eyes" on these kids that would have reported if a child was ill or absent, and alerted a social worker to make sure that the child was rushed to medical care.

There needs to be a complete investigation into the bureaucratic incompetence.

and defrocked though I doubt his education goes past watching preachers on tv.

It would be like trying to defrock the pissing preacher...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm shocked the pastor hasn't been indicted.

why? he is free to say what he wants that is not illegal. just like the pearls. not that I think what he is saying is good but those homegrown preachers are pretty free to say whatever they want.

Ah, here's that old joke about a man trapped on his roof during a flood. Refuses the assistance of a man with a boat. "No, God will save me." Refuses the assistance of a plane. "No, God will save me." Flood rises above the roof and drowns the man. "God? I prayed, why didn't you save me?" "Well, I sent you a boat and a plane, what more did you want?"

Honestly, I think some of these fundies are going to make it to heaven and accuse God himself of being wrong.

I believe the supreme court said exactly that. Jehovah's witnesses can refuse blood but not for their kids. These two clearly broke the law. And the bible doesn't guarantee anyone an illness or death free life. Even the snake handling preacher took his baby to the hospital when she was sick!

It's Jahi McMath a JW whose parents wouldn't consent to blood? I thought I heard something about that, but the hospital doing it anyway.

Along with the parents, someone needs to investigate how the courts dropped the ball and basically allowed Kent to die on their watch.

Yes, these parents were crazy. We KNEW that already, since there was already a dead baby. How the hell did this not automatically become a child protection case? Why were the surviving children left with those parents, and why was there no social worker making regular visits to check up on them? The existing probation order was completely inadequate. The state knew that these parents would not seek medical assistance, no matter how serious the situation. Once a year medical check-ups wouldn't do a thing to ensure that a child would get care if they suddenly got sick. There was no other "pair of eyes" on these kids that would have reported if a child was ill or absent, and alerted a social worker to make sure that the child was rushed to medical care.

There needs to be a complete investigation into the bureaucratic incompetence.

The answer is in the article.

After the first death, she and public defender Mythri Jayaraman agreed that the couple's beliefs were so ingrained that their children remained at risk. They asked the earlier judge to have the family supervised by a Department of Human Services caseworker. Instead, the judge assigned them to probation officers, who are not trained to monitor children's welfare.

Even the defender said the parents remained a risk and that a social caseworker needed to be assigned. The judge in that case disagreed, and that judge needs to be held accountable. When the defendant's own representation is asking for more than the judge agreed to, something is wrong. Defenders never ask for less than they think appropriate or necessary.

It's Jahi McMath a JW whose parents wouldn't consent to blood? I thought I heard something about that, but the hospital doing it anyway.

Jahi's family appear to be Baptists. I've never seen a news article indicating they were JW. The prayer service for her was held at a Baptist church.

Archived