IGNORED

The "gay agenda" in Disney's Frozen - Merge

ADoyle90815

This isn't the first time I've seen the coming out analogy with Frozen. I don't really think that specifically is what they were going for in the movie, but the story is very relatable for anyone who feels like there is something about themselves that they need to hide and suppress, which is a feeling very common for gay people but certainly not exclusive to that situation.

I'll admit that I do love the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk]"Let It Go" song[/link] (especially the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQP9XZc2Y_c]French version[/link], which is a bit different but, I think, better) because I do really relate to the Elsa character (I feel silly for saying that, as I don't usually get into kids movies like this). I've been playing it a lot lately. I suppose some of it does relate to having to have hidden being gay for years, but that's certainly not all of it or the first thing I think of when I hear the song.

I think it's just something that a lot of people can relate to in different ways. My younger siblings, for example, have decided that the lines

"Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know.

Well now they know.

Let it go, let it go.

Can't hold it back anymore.

Let it go, let it go"

refer to farting. :D

Um, that was my impression too!

My 14 yr old tells her friends that it was her 9 yr old brother who thought that up, to save us both from embarrassment. So there, I have the mind of a 9 yr old boy!

I think that it was the Botkins anti Tangled piece that made me decide to watch that movie. :lol:

This.

This is my favorite Frozen analogy: thethirdglance.wordpress.com/2013/12/21/disneys-frozen-and-autism/

I think Mormon lady is a wee preoccupied with luscious lesbian action.

Several of my gay friends have been on Facebook citing examples that Elsa is gay since the movie came out. I doubt she came up with these ideas herself.

I didn't watch the movie that closely, because it didn't hold my interest and I just didn't think it was that good.

For crying out loud! I thought love and close (non-sexual) relationships between siblings was something fundies promoted?!!! And the girls in the movie even wear long dresses. How are they even finding a way to complain about this?

Lonely girl, who has no control over who she was born as, ends up being loved and accepted? I can see that as a metaphor for coming out of the closet. Read like that it actually makes a pretty good argument for what she's arguing against.

Yes, but it could also be a metaphor for a mentally or physically challenged person, a person with a physical deformity, or someone born of both genders. It's a pretty general message: love and accept others despite their differences. I don't see why this is being made into an LGBT-specific issue.

Yes, but it could also be a metaphor for a mentally or physically challenged person, a person with a physical deformity, or someone born of both genders. It's a pretty general message: love and accept others despite their differences. I don't see why this is being made into an LGBT-specific issue.

Because Queen Elsa, unlike any other disney heroine/princess figure, did not have a male romantic interest, which left the possibility distinctly open in a literal as well as metaphorical way.

Also, no such thing as someone born of two genders. I think you mean someone who is intersexed.

SOME SPOILERS AHEAD

From the first time I saw Frozen, I saw the parallels to growing up as a closeted gay. About half my friends were gay and from very religious families. Many of them came out to their parents first and many of those parents tried vainly to "cure" their child and/or hide the truth from others (particularly family members). That kind of behavior put strains on relationships, made some of my friends hate themselves, etc. All of which, Elsa is subjected to when her parents shut her away. In the end, my friends generally found acceptance and happiness, even if it didn't come from their family members, much like Elsa.

Does that mean Elsa is gay? No. That just proves, yet again, how good Disney is at creating stories with morals that apply to teens/adults. The moral of her struggles with her powers is not to fear someone and/or cause them to fear themselves over a trait they had no ability to choose, whether it's: sexual preference/gender identity, race, etc.

She also has a moral relating to freedom. Elsa thinks she's free when she escapes the presence of anyone who might judge her, but she doesn't actually gain freedom until she confronts those same people and exposes them to the truth. She's no more free to practice her magic in the middle of the movie than we are to fun around naked: we can be naked in our houses with the blinds drawn all we want, but we don't have the freedom to walk down the street naked. Which, again, can be seen as a parallel to the LGBT community. In many areas, you are "free to be gay", so long as no one has to be "subjected to your lifestyle." Meaning, you aren't actually free to be gay; you're condemned to live a life of lies to make those around you feel more comfortable.

Because Queen Elsa, unlike any other disney heroine/princess figure, did not have a male romantic interest, which left the possibility distinctly open in a literal as well as metaphorical way.

Also, no such thing as someone born of two genders. I think you mean someone who is intersexed.

Um you can be a hermaphrodite.

I totally agree. It can be read in so many ways. That's why I said "I can see that as a metaphor for coming out of the closet". The blogger made it an LGBTQ issue. But, whichever way, you're right, it's a message about love and acceptance.

edited for clarity

Um you can be a hermaphrodite.

Which is the outdated term for intersex, which, as Anise correctly identifies, does not necessarily mean you'll have any particular gender identity.

What blows my mind is that she thinks that if a child watches this. They would see it as she does. Does she really think a child is going to watch this movie and think " Oh this movie is about gay people. encouraging me to be gay!".

Do these people not realize that kids brains do not stop developing till the age of 20? Do they not realize that kids do not think on the same level as adults do?

Drives me insane! They need to take a child development class or two! :angry-banghead:

Her daughter posted this on Facebook yesterday:

Laura Skaggs Dulin

To whom it may concern: I am the lesbian daughter of Kathryn Skaggs, the author of the recent blog post condemning the Disney movie Frozen for having "a liberal gay agenda." I am also an active, believing member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as well as a mental health professional. After much personal debate and inner turmoil, I feel it is important to state publicly (just as I have many many times privately) that I do not support the vilifying of the gay community that occurs through much of this blog post and has also been a part of other posts made by my mother in the past. Perpetually stigmatizing and demonizing the LGBT community has been shown to contribute to serious mental health problems within this population such as depression, anxiety and suicide ideation that tragically at times has ended in death. Such attitudes and language also continues to foster isolation and unnecessary wedges between LGBT people and their families and within communities and I can no longer sit silent as I am fully aware that these things continue to be experienced as harmful not only to myself but to some of the most vulnerable within the Mormon population and in society. I pray my fellow members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will collectively continue to move forward in following the teachings our church leaders on this matter as they advocated on mormonsandgays.org which specifically calls for sensitivity, thoughtfulness, compassion, love and being at the forefront of outreach to lesbians and gays. " As a church, no one should be more loving and compassionate." - Elder Quentin L. Cook - I hope and pray that might truly be so.

Sincerely, Laura Skaggs Dulin

https://www.facebook.com/laura.skaggsdu ... eam_ref=10

I didn't watch the movie that closely, because it didn't hold my interest and I just didn't think it was that good.

[whispers] I thought I was the only one.[/whispers]

According to Sunshine Mary aka SSM, the movie has a hidden feminist agenda, too: sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/how-feminism-spreads-from-a-few-unhappy-women-to-many-previously-happy-women/

t’s interesting the way that the two girls from Frozen, which is based on Hans Christian Andersen’s tale The Snow Queen, are being portrayed as Disney’s new feminist princesses. However, if you’ve actually seen the movie, you know that Princess Elsa messes everything up and runs away, while her sister Anna needs a man’s (Kristoff’s) help to come and get Elsa and set everything right again. Isn’t that just like feminists, to proclaim their independence but then to need so much help and support from other people to actually do anything?

Watch as a discontented Princess Elsa is the vector for spreading feminism to the other cheerful, happy princesses. Notice in particular in the second stanza that she begins to criticize each princess’ prince and sow the seeds of doubt. Tearing down a woman’s man is a critical step in persuading her to accept feminism. The princesses start to argue with Elsa but then realize that they really don’t have all the freedom that unattached (and unclaimed) Princess Elsa has and they start to wonder what they are missing out on:

edited to break link.

I don't know why, but these posts about the newest "evil" movies with "agendas" always make me so angry that I have to stop reading them at some point. Pehaps it's because they take something good and innocent and use it for their own fucked-up agenda. Disney puts a lot of love and care into their movies, they're good kids movies, they can be watched by adults and children because the themes in them are universally human. I hate to see disregard and ignorance towards any kind of art. You don't have to like Disney, but stop taking something popular and beloved at the moment and spread lies about it to further your own cause. Aaaargh.

[whispers] I thought I was the only one.[/whispers]

I haven't seen it, and probably won't. I kinda grew out of Disney animation about the time the last Junior Junebug did (roughly, Robin Hood). I heard Frozen described as a breakthrough for Disney in that the "princess" was not questing for her prince, but instead for her family, and felt very very good about that. Hetero- , homo- or a- sexual, for some people, Finding THE One is less important than a host of other things in life.

Bravo/a, Disney.

Have the sisters Botkin eviscerated this, in their usual attack-upon-Disney? I no longer listen to conservative Lutheran radio guy Todd Wilken so don't know if he has, nor if the one lady guest, who sometimes comments on popular media/Disney, has done, either. That guest who used to (gasp!, clutch) teach middle school but she now is a devoted SAHW&M except for when she's on speaking engagements or writing articles. Can't remember her 3 names but they're not Jennifer Roback Morse. There's another one. If I think of it or find one of them has weighed in, I'll report.

Such silly stuff ...

Princess Elsa (and possibly Merida) is the closest I will ever get to an asexual princess, something I've been looking for all my life.

For this reason, I prefer to think of Elsa as asexual.

Just because someone doesn't display heterosexuality doesn't automatically mean they're gay. There are other valid orientations out there. I wish these people would recognize that. (By the which I mean fundies, not fjers)

Much more fun than the homosexuality hating crazies is the 'Frozen' singing traffic reporter. "Just don't go!" Not breaking in the link because it's yahoo.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/traffi ... nopharma=1

And for the full number, also not breaking because it's from a TV news broadcast and on youtube now.

http://youtu.be/jWw0WEtZJRQ

"The snow blows right on the roads overnight. Not a lane stripe to be seen."

"All the traction's goooooooooone!"

I like the "According to Google Translate" version too.

Archived