IGNORED

The "gay agenda" in Disney's Frozen - Merge

ADoyle90815

I came across this blog post, and this is probably the craziest thing I've heard about some Disney Princess movie.

wellbehavedmormonwoman.blogspot.com/2014/02/movie-frozen-gay-homosexual-agenda.html#.UwKkN4X-aNo

Them's some purty fine mental gymnastics right there. I'm about as gay-rights as they come, and even I couldn't tease out any clue of a mention of homosexual expression or attraction in this movie.

Of course, because this nutbar writes so eloquently and SOUNDS intelligent to her intended audience, they're going to buy this and demonize the movie.

Like practically all Disney princess movies, "Frozen" is the usual paean to heterosexuality.

On the other hand, if the story IS meant to be a metaphor for coming out as gay--or as any other manifestation of one's true self--good on em.

Lonely girl, who has no control over who she was born as, ends up being loved and accepted? I can see that as a metaphor for coming out of the closet. Read like that it actually makes a pretty good argument for what she's arguing against.

I agree Samari Sarah! I doubt the movie intended a gay acceptance message... But it could be looked at that way and what a positive and wonderful message that would be!

She is sick. She claims that the character of Oaken obviously has his boyfriend in the sauna- it was very obviously Oaken's teen son, wife and small children. The character was drawn to look like his father! It is nice not to be demented.

Oh, how silly. Clearly it's about bestiality -- Kristoff and Sven are such a cute couple!

And, in a three-way with Olaf -- hot!

Oh, maybe getting hot with Olaf is not a good idea, even if he thinks it is. :D

There's a fairly good argument that some of the songs in the Disney film of Beauty and the Beast were based somewhat on lyricist Howard Ashman's experience as a gay man and not only as a gay man, but one who had AIDS. (e.g., There are a lot of pleas for tolerance of things you don't understand.) Howard died four days after the film premiered and it is dedicated in his memory.

This isn't the first time I've seen the coming out analogy with Frozen. I don't really think that specifically is what they were going for in the movie, but the story is very relatable for anyone who feels like there is something about themselves that they need to hide and suppress, which is a feeling very common for gay people but certainly not exclusive to that situation.

I'll admit that I do love the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk]"Let It Go" song[/link] (especially the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQP9XZc2Y_c]French version[/link], which is a bit different but, I think, better) because I do really relate to the Elsa character (I feel silly for saying that, as I don't usually get into kids movies like this). I've been playing it a lot lately. I suppose some of it does relate to having to have hidden being gay for years, but that's certainly not all of it or the first thing I think of when I hear the song.

I think it's just something that a lot of people can relate to in different ways. My younger siblings, for example, have decided that the lines

"Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know.

Well now they know.

Let it go, let it go.

Can't hold it back anymore.

Let it go, let it go"

refer to farting. :D

Here is Oaken's (adorable) family. Not an adult woman to be seen, at least in that shot. And if Disney wanted to spend two seconds of Frozen affirming families with same-sex parents, a demographic that is rarely (if ever) depicted in mainstream movies, good for them.

24.media.tumblr.com/348b3b40ca3380c82007a6992c600f2c/tumblr_mw7rgggXY91szqcbeo1_500.png

A friend told me about the so-called "homosexual subtext" in Frozen after she saw the movie, because Elsa's storyline reminded her of her own coming-out experience. She came from a conservative family, and had absorbed the message that something was wrong with her - that she would hurt her family and sisters by expressing who she was. While that's not the only message to be gained from Elsa's character arc, it is one way that viewers might relate to her. And it doesn't seem coincidental that the first Disney princess without an obvious prince is one whose story revolves around the love and self acceptance required to share a "dangerous" part of herself with the outside world. Viewers who don't see themselves reflected in traditional "boy meets girl" storylines may find it easy to relate to Elsa.

Some critics - babbling Mormon blogger lady included - might find this message problematic. But that has more to do with her own serious and deep-seated issues than it does with the movie.

She has the gall to claim she doesn't hate lgbt folks. She just wants them to be self loathing and celibate

Come to think of it I remember conservative s thought merida from Brave was gay because she didn't want an arranged marriage and liked riding horses and archery

This isn't the first time I've seen the coming out analogy with Frozen. I don't really think that specifically is what they were going for in the movie, but the story is very relatable for anyone who feels like there is something about themselves that they need to hide and suppress, which is a feeling very common for gay people but certainly not exclusive to that situation.

I'll admit that I do love the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk]"Let It Go" song[/link] (especially the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQP9XZc2Y_c]French version[/link], which is a bit different but, I think, better) because I do really relate to the Elsa character (I feel silly for saying that, as I don't usually get into kids movies like this). I've been playing it a lot lately. I suppose some of it does relate to having to have hidden being gay for years, but that's certainly not all of it or the first thing I think of when I hear the song.

I think it's just something that a lot of people can relate to in different ways. My younger siblings, for example, have decided that the lines

"Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know.

Well now they know.

Let it go, let it go.

Can't hold it back anymore.

Let it go, let it go"

refer to farting. :D

My granddaughter loves to sing Let It Go. I hope she can get to one of those sing-along showings of the movie.

I'll have to tell my daughter (granddaughter's mom) about the farting thing.

My granddaughter loves to sing Let It Go. I hope she can get to one of those sing-along showings of the movie.

I'll have to tell my daughter (granddaughter's mom) about the farting thing.

"Let it go. Let it go. I'm one with the WIND and sky." :whistle: Does it get any clearer? Lol!

If you asked a room full people if, sometime between ages 2 and 20, they had ever felt like they didn't fit in, like there was something wrong with them, like their parents had ever been overly careful or strict, like siblings or friends rejected them, like they accidentally hurt anyone, and/or like their body did weird things they couldn't control, I think most would say yes to at least one, if not all, of those things.

To me, that's what films like Tangled and Frozen address (BTW, I have not seen either movie all the way through, but I think I've gotten the gist from clips, and what I've read about them - feel free to correct me if I'm talking nonsense :D ).

Most of us can relate to such characters because most of us have felt similar doubts and fears. Depending on what made us "different" and how our families and communities reacted, this feeling could have been a brief blip on the radar or a true tragedy.

This blogger sees Frozen as being all about "the gay agenda," but it could just as well be addressing adolescence in general, or anything physical, social, emotional or cognitive that makes a kid feel different.

I bet one could re-write her post (well, the last part, where she finally stops going on and on and on about how evil the movie is, and actually explains why she thinks it's about being gay), lining everything up with a child feeling different due to being smart, or athletic, or unusual-looking, or, for that matter, Mormon.

That makes me want to see it, thanks wacko woman!

I think that it was the Botkins anti Tangled piece that made me decide to watch that movie. :lol:

Now that HuffPo has picked this up and it's started to go viral on social media, I wouldn't be surprised if ticket sales for Frozen suddenly go up because of this crazy person, making it another Terry Rakolta "Married With Children" moment. I'm going to see this movie now, even if I don't take my niece to it, thanks to her.

You might want to get yourself a nice cup of tea before sitting down and clicking on the link below. I must have lost half an hour of my life to gawking at this blog. Please don't stop at the post explaining how some song in Frozen is a sinister gay plot, there is so, so much more where that came from.

wellbehavedmormonwoman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/movie-frozen-gay-homosexual-agenda.html#.UwUXiGJ_u8F

Someone posted this blog a couple days ago. The Frozen thing is insane

Archived