IGNORED

ATTN: UK.... Botkins!

Kimerical

Were they dressed up as the Grand Duchesses Tatiana and Anastasia, looking wistfully off into the distance while posing in front of some former Tsarist castle? I can totally see this.

Me too! Their fur coats would be epic.

And I just realized who Geoff Botkin has always reminded me of (physically): Vladimir Lenin.

(Actually he looks exactly like a cross between Lenin and a soft-spoken Mormon man I used to work for, which makes his appearance very disconcerting for me.)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too! Their fur coats would be epic.

And I just realized who Geoff Botkin has always reminded me of (physically): Vladimir Lenin.

(Actually he looks exactly like a cross between Lenin and a soft-spoken Mormon man I used to work for, which makes his appearance very disconcerting for me.)

He does look like Lenin.

Well,it seems that Mark Robinette's page is public if you want to go look. I guess that they are there with the "Slavic Reformation Society". I'm not entirely sure how to break links, but it shows up right away in google. Off to read up.

This is the web site for The Slavic Reformation Society

slavicreformationsociety.com/home.htm

Here is their facebook page

facebook.com/slavicreformationsociety

It looks like everyone that is on the board of directors is American.

This is the web site for The Slavic Reformation Society

slavicreformationsociety.com/home.htm

Here is their facebook page

facebook.com/slavicreformationsociety

It looks like everyone that is on the board of directors is American.

I've actually heard of this group. Some folks from the church where I grew up mentioned it in prayer letters. From what I understand, they have a seminary over in Russia and they plan to train up reformed pastors who are Russian and then turn the leadership over to them. Their goal as I understand it is to plant protestant reformed churches.

Robinette is not someone I know personally, but I know he is a friend/associate of RC Sproul, Jr. Hence, folks from my old church knowing him. Quite a few in leadership at my old church had ties to the Sprouls.

Mark Robinette has been posting YouTube videos of his trip to St. Petersburg on his public Facebook page, including this one - a walk with Geoff, Anna Sofia and Elizabeth from the subway to the Hermitage Museum. The ego on Geoff really is just flat-out astonishing. In his "non-stop commentary" (Robinette's words), he pontificates about Stalinist art in the subway; the "great monstrosity" that is the Narva Triumphal Arch (it makes Greek gods into idols, folks); and the "spiritually oppressive" Hermitage Museum. Oh, and just in case you didn't know, the rococo style is "sissy architecture."

Robinette makes no secret of the fact that he's impressed by the Hermitage - but never fear, Geoff sets him straight, saying that the Winter Palace of Peter the Great is "like putting a fancy suit on a pig."

Oh - and we never hear a peep out of A-S and E. They can't get a word in edgewise.

HBe5L6pX7hE

Mark Robinette has been posting YouTube videos of his trip to St. Petersburg on his public Facebook page, including this one - a walk with Geoff, Anna Sofia and Elizabeth from the subway to the Hermitage Museum. The ego on Geoff really is just flat-out astonishing. In his "non-stop commentary" (Robinette's words), he pontificates about Stalinist art in the subway; the "great monstrosity" that is the Narva Triumphal Arch (it makes Greek gods into idols, folks); and the "spiritually oppressive" Hermitage Museum. Oh, and just in case you didn't know, the rococo style is "sissy architecture."

Robinette makes no secret of the fact that he's impressed by the Hermitage - but never fear, Geoff sets him straight, saying that the Winter Palace of Peter the Great is "like putting a fancy suit on a pig."

Oh - and we never hear a peep out of A-S and E. They can't get a word in edgewise.

HBe5L6pX7hE

Good God, they're more sanctimonious than I ever imagined.

And in the few moments in which the videographer actually speaks to A-S and E, they manage to be even more cold, aloof, and superior than even the reputation the precedes them (and I speak as a fellow cold and aloof labeled person). Ladies, it's normally polite to smile and say thank you when someone gives you a compliment. :roll:

Robinette makes no secret of the fact that he's impressed by the Hermitage - but never fear, Geoff sets him straight, saying that the Winter Palace of Peter the Great is "like putting a fancy suit on a pig."(snip)

Wow, Geoff just pissed on several hundred years of European art, culture and history. He sounds like the stereotype of the "ugly American", with apologies to all culturally sensitive Americans. If I were Russian and open to his message, I'd still find that really off-putting.

Since Geoff is an expert in Marxism, Music, Politics and Duck Biology, why is anyone surprised he feels qualified to critique Russian Art?

I'm pouting because the video is now private.

Thanks for the hilarious commentary on it though! Geoff Botkin's hubris knows no boundaries!

I'm pouting because the video is now private.

Thanks for the hilarious commentary on it though! Geoff Botkin's hubris knows no boundaries!

It's the ghost of Peter the Great - hearing Geoff describe the Winter Palace as "sissy architecture" pissed him off! :lol:

IN WHAT WORLD is the Hermitage "spiritually oppressive"?!?! For heaven's sake! It is expansive, and exquisitely detailed, and a little intimidating, and definitely impressive - sure. What even does spiritually oppressive mean here? It's a house! A ridiculously over-the-top house, with lots of world-class art and unbelievable details! There's no spiritual overtone! UGH shut UP Botkin!

IN WHAT WORLD is the Hermitage "spiritually oppressive"?!?! For heaven's sake! It is expansive, and exquisitely detailed, and a little intimidating, and definitely impressive - sure. What even does spiritually oppressive mean here? It's a house! A ridiculously over-the-top house, with lots of world-class art and unbelievable details! There's no spiritual overtone! UGH shut UP Botkin!

Well, in the video he went on and on about the importance of "building from the heart." Apparently he thinks the Russians didn't, and he could have done it better. That's why he's so well-known these days in international circles, after all... :roll:

Geoff Botkin: Father, husband, author, filmmaker, entrepreneur, mentor, educator, pastor, shepherd, historian, duck biologist, art and music critic, expert on Marxism and on all things Slavic, architect and general contractor . . .

What did I leave out?

Geoff Botkin: Father, husband, author, filmmaker, entrepreneur, mentor, educator, pastor, shepherd, historian, duck biologist, art and music critic, expert on Marxism and on all things Slavic, architect and general contractor . . .

What did I leave out?

Speaks for God.

Well, in the video he went on and on about the importance of "building from the heart." Apparently he thinks the Russians didn't, and he could have done it better. That's why he's so well-known these days in international circles, after all... :roll:

Can you build from it while you're guarding it?

What did I leave out?

Tool.

What did I leave out?

When did he become a duck biologist? :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I don't know if the videos actually did go private at one time, or if you guys just experienced a glitch, but that guy's whole page, including videos, is public. I was bored and watched. When they go into the art museum area, he mentions the Botkins are working on a documentary about "culture" so they have special permission to film inside. I haven't caught wind of this before....has anyone else?

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I don't know if the videos actually did go private at one time, or if you guys just experienced a glitch, but that guy's whole page, including videos, is public. I was bored and watched. When they go into the art museum area, he mentions the Botkins are working on a documentary about "culture" so they have special permission to film inside. I haven't caught wind of this before....has anyone else?

IIRC, when I was at the Hermitage last year, I could film if I paid to do so.

Archived