IGNORED

Ken Defends Cabinetman/ Ken & Cabinetman, Superheros! MERGED

If Lori and her husband (and the Cabinetman) are so proud of their beliefs and behaviours why don't they put a link to her column on his business web site under the category of "mission statement"? Or do their convictions not withstand the monetary test?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

OMG, ILoveJellybeans, I can not stop laughing. Homeless werewolf!

Jellybeans you are awesome! I have a friend who hates the Pearls. I'm trying to get her to join FJ and I must make sure she cruises by this thread once she's on! Mods- can we add this to the description of the Pearls in the SOTDRT?

Maybe we should email a link to Kens disciplining wives post to all the dentists featured on his Millennium page?

As much as I hate these oxygen pirates that is crossing the line. It is kind of frowned upon around here.

I always thought Bill Gothard was what happened when the evil cult members finally succeeded in reviving Dracula in the old horror movies.

I always thought Bill Gothard was what happened when the evil cult members finally succeeded in reviving Dracula in the old horror movies.

"I want to suck your blood...and touch your feet!"

Lori:

Our country has actually become significantly safer over the years. Crime is down, domestic violence and child abuse are frowned upon (by most normal people), cars are safer, etc. The perception that things are awful is false and is largely driven by better reporting and instant access to news from all over the world. I know fundies hate actual facts and data, but they are so wrong in this perception.

As much as I hate these oxygen pirates that is crossing the line. It is kind of frowned upon around here.

This. I'm really uncomfortable with any sort of targeting of Ken's business. It's totally secular as far as we know, and has nothing to do with Lori's blog or their personal beliefs. I say leave it alone and keep our snarking to the blog. Just my two cents.

Our country has actually become significantly safer over the years. Crime is down, domestic violence and child abuse are frowned upon (by most normal people), cars are safer, etc. The perception that things are awful is false and is largely driven by better reporting and instant access to news from all over the world. I know fundies hate actual facts and data, but they are so wrong in this perception.

Agreed. I hear people like them talk about how much worse and how it's so much more dangerous now. It's not. It's actually better. Crime has dropped significantly in recent years. The media just makes it seem that way. But don't bother telling the Alexanders this...they refuse to listen. Ken even tried to show statistics to prove everyone wrong...but the statistics backfired as they ultimately proved him wrong and he still plugged his ears up.

Facts, they don't exist in Ken and Lori's little bubble world.

This. I'm really uncomfortable with any sort of targeting of Ken's business. It's totally secular as far as we know, and has nothing to do with Lori's blog or their personal beliefs. I say leave it alone and keep our snarking to the blog. Just my two cents.

I will chime in and agree...I get very uncomfortable when this crosses over into real life interaction (unless a child is in danger and we are reporting to CPS)

The comments were a perfect illustration of why the Pearl's style of parenting advice is dangerous.

Bad parents don't have EVIL tattooed across their foreheads. It's possible to both love your child AND to make some huge parenting mistakes that can seem horrifying. That's why I think it's dangerous to pretend that abusive parents are a different species - it allows us to dismiss risks and think, "well, normal people would NEVER do that!"

I don't think that women like Cynthia Swenson and Brit wake up in the morning and think about how to be evil. I believe that they honestly wanted to do the best for their children - but the messages that they learned about physical punishment and the need to confront defiance and the idea that loving parents discipline their children instead of giving into soft-hearted emotions short-circuited their thinking.

Lori is telling parents not to trust their own parenting instincts and emotions. They are encouraging a mindset that sees children as little sinners. Ordinary childhood behaviour is seen through a lense of "defiance". Painful punishment is seen as the default response. All of that literally shapes how someone is going to think about their child's behaviour.

They are empty, powerless bitches who enjoy lording the little status they have within their families on their helpless children. Simple and sick as that.

I think this is a very good point. I've noticed that when folks aren't allowed to own their legitimate power they end up abusing the legitimate power of other people.

I think this is a very good point. I've noticed that when folks aren't allowed to own their legitimate power they end up abusing the legitimate power of other people.

I think that describes Lori in a nutshell. She was a know-it-all control freak with Ken, by her own description. She stopped being like that with HIM, but then simply directed her controlling tendencies toward others.

I wonder what she would have been like if she had an opportunity to use those tendencies well?

I also have to wonder about all these enraged, out-of-control women that Ken and Lori seem to know. How much of that is simply frustration?

Yeah, I wondered about her statement.

30 years ago = 1984, a time when violent crime in the U.S. was approaching its all-time high.

Here's a table showing the dramatic decrease in violent crime rates since 1992. Of course, it's from the FBI, not from Ken and Lori's friends.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/cr ... es/table-1

Article on crime drop from the Christian Science Monitor. Yes, the crime rate is lower now than it was 30 years ago.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/20 ... -safer-now

Nothing like teaching a child to equate love with pain and humiliation. I see a future abused wife in this poor child's future, only she'll never think she deserves better. What's that old song? He hit me and it felt like a kiss? I just googled it and here's what came up:

(Gerry Goffin and Carole King) were inspired to write it after their babysitter Little Eva told them about her relationship with an abusive boyfriend who beat her almost on a regular basis. When they asked her why she tolerated the abuse, she answered that it symbolized how much he loved her.

Hole do an amazingly raw cover of that song.

Archived