IGNORED

MERGE Kirk Cameron Movie: Mercy Rule/ Kirk Mad at Grammy's

DomWackTroll

I've never seen the movie or read the book (Fireproof) but a few people on line swear by whatever the book (love dare???) was that the movie promoted...but I am developing a theory on fundie marriages and that is that most of them truly suck, based on all the moaning and whining about marriage.

Since the entire meaning of fundie marriage is for each partner to shove themselves into a box of certain behaviors based on rigid gender roles, it has to be miserable. No one (male or female) is allowed to be themselves, use their own gifts, or truly grow and thrive. How can that not suck?

The lessons for my confirmation kids this month have been about God creating us with unique gifts and how we should grow in those gifts to become who we are meant to be. Fundie marriage teaching tells people basically the opposite--if you are male: these are the only gifts you can develop and if you are female, these things over here are the only gifts you are allowed to use...and if you don't even have those gifts as part of your natural inclinations or abilities--too bad for you.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm friends on FB with a former teacher of mine that became a role model in so many ways when I was forced into attending a fundamental Baptist church and school growing up. She was the only person who quietly encouraged me to read new things by taking me to the local - not school- library, and to think outside the box my classmates and I had been sandwiched into. I was shocked to see her share on her wall the Kirk "Choo-Choo" Cameron post about Macklemoore, Madonna, Queen L and the weddings at the Grammys. She said he was a warrior for God. I keep telling myself that she's much older now and she might not be the same mentally now as she was back then. She also fell in love and married one of the deacons in the church, so I'm going to tell myself that he finally broke her down to build her back up in accordance to his beliefs. I have to believe that otherwise I might start crying. Damn, Mrs C., what did they do to you? :cry:

Aw, Laura. I'm sorry to hear that. People change sometimes :( I hope you can focus on the good she played in your life when you most needed it.

Mercy Rule sounds like it could be the title of a gay leather daddy BDSM movie. That trailer was awful.

Now that's a movie I'd watch.

The trailer sucked, so I just had to watch the Bruno Mars' video to his song "Treasure" to cleanse the palate.

Archived