IGNORED

Phil Robertson reinstated -- Praise de LAWD!

Rainytown

FFS....

They're holding a Chic-Phil-A Day in support of him :bangs head:

Chic-fil-a wants to make sure they make money off the controversy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This incident helps bring into sharp relief how "Balkanized" the US has become. A&E knows their audience and is playing to them, which is fine. It appears we have and will continue to have programming that is aimed primarily at Southern (not literally but in spirit) White Christians. To me, this group represents people who are striking out at the very rapid changes in our society. The more open and accepting the nation becomes, the more they will use their clout in numbers, as well as government Representation, to boycott and obstruct. We will reach a tipping point some time in the future where their influence diminishes and then it will be interesting, if not scary, to see what transpires. In the meantime, I will avoid Duck Dynasty and the clones that are sure to follow.

this really sums it up better then I can write it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noah-mich ... 09998.html

You can say whatever you want, including that gay people are sinful and full of "murder, envy, strife, hatred" and are in the same league as those who enjoy being penetrated by barnyard animals and that black people were "happy" and were not "singing the blues" when Jim Crow laws ruled America, and as long as you later tack on "I love all of humanity" and I would "never incite or encourage hate" and throw around the word "tolerance," and as long as there's enough money and publicity swirling and more ready to be made, you will face absolutely no consequences and if anything you'll be celebrated as a hero and lauded as an icon of freedom -- some will even go so far as to call you the "Rosa Parks" of our generation -- while the people you were talking about will still be vilified and will have to fight even harder against society's belief that they are -- even in the 21st century, even in a country that is not supposed to be ruled by religion or heartless, hateful zealots -- at their very core all of those vile and (let it be said once and for all) patently untrue things that you said about them.

You know what is coming next...he will be urged to run for political office, either local or on the Federal level. And then the Tea Party will have succeeded in putting a cartoon character in office.

You know what is coming next...he will be urged to run for political office, either local or on the Federal level. And then the Tea Party will have succeeded in putting a cartoon character in office.

and the duggers will latch on and it will be over :cracking-up:

Today when I stopped at a gas station I noticed they were selling Duck Dynasty scratch off lottery tickets. These people will seriously put their faces on anything.

Today when I stopped at a gas station I noticed they were selling Duck Dynasty scratch off lottery tickets. These people will seriously put their faces on anything.

I was pretty horrified when I saw their faces on tubes of lip gloss in makeup gift sets targeted to tween girls. Seriously, the faces of Duck Dynasty do not belong on children's cosmetics. That's just wrong.

I was pretty horrified when I saw their faces on tubes of lip gloss in makeup gift sets targeted to tween girls. Seriously, the faces of Duck Dynasty do not belong on children's cosmetics. That's just wrong.

That is seriously creepy. Is there anything these Duck people will not throw their face on? Are they purposely trying to annoy the crap out of everyone by saturating the market? I mean, I saw they even had a flower arraignment to send to mom for Christmas. Flowers with bearded guys on the vase screams "Merry Christmas, Mom!" Really?

Say what now? That's just plain creepy.

Yup they will. They are basically the redneck version family of The Kardashians. I saw this on my fb feed yesterday.

33fgcvo.jpg

This incident helps bring into sharp relief how "Balkanized" the US has become. A&E knows their audience and is playing to them, which is fine. It appears we have and will continue to have programming that is aimed primarily at Southern (not literally but in spirit) White Christians. To me, this group represents people who are striking out at the very rapid changes in our society. The more open and accepting the nation becomes, the more they will use their clout in numbers, as well as government Representation, to boycott and obstruct. We will reach a tipping point some time in the future where their influence diminishes and then it will be interesting, if not scary, to see what transpires. In the meantime, I will avoid Duck Dynasty and the clones that are sure to follow.

To me seems like A&E was trying to cover all it's bases. Suspend him in case it blows up into a Don Imus situation and people start calling for blood. Once they realized that there was a swell of support, reinstate him so "the people" can "win."

Whether it was a planned PR stunt or A&E brought him back because they didn't want to lose their viewership for that show, it still comes down to the same thing - it's all about money. At first I really thought A&E was going to stand for principal over all else and say "no, this is wrong, and we won't promote these vile opinions," but unfortunately I was wrong. Principal doesn't matter to big business, it's all about profit and profit only. Well fuck them.

Can we start an online petition for A&E to rename the channel? Of course, the problem is that TLC should have first shot at being called the "Trashy Reality Show Channel".

I like to picture this -- in 50 years, a show that features people who collect obscure ephemera will have an episode in which something with Duck Dynasty images on it is found in an attic.

The host will have to explain that they were a flash in the pan, a fad that everyone forgot in a year. Audiences will shake their heads and laugh at the crazy things people would buy in 2013.

If it is a show on which the value of the item is discussed, the person who owns the house will find out that it is not of interest to any collector.

Yeah, I saw the make-up kits at Wal-Mart. I had thought the Duck Dynasty chia heads were the absolute height of poor taste until I saw these guys' faces in cosmetic sets. :(

Whether it was a planned PR stunt or A&E brought him back because they didn't want to lose their viewership for that show, it still comes down to the same thing - it's all about money. At first I really thought A&E was going to stand for principal over all else and say "no, this is wrong, and we won't promote these vile opinions," but unfortunately I was wrong. Principal doesn't matter to big business, it's all about profit and profit only. Well fuck them.

The networks would air live, nude executions if they thought there was an audience for it and if they thought those viewers would be licensed merchandise.

I just saw this in my FB feed and my head literally exploded. What the ever loving fuck? The comments are equally full of WTF.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Sorry, I don't know how to add an image to a post.

Wow, that's... I think the word I'm looking for is sacrilegious? I'm just going to settle for 'wow', that works. It seems like the comments are starting to swing towards "how over the top," which is a little bit of consolation.

ETA: In order to match all the posts on their Fan Club site, I would like to revise my above comment to say "wow, Jack."

Archived