IGNORED

When Boob and J'chelle were in San Francisco

Seven Severn

They drove through The Castro (or Casto as Boob called it) on Halloween night. I think I might kill to see footage of this if it exists. Were they huddled in the back of the TLC van with their eyes squeezed shut praying for jebus to save them from the evil homosexuals? Was Boob taking the occasional quick peek? Was their reaction so extreme that TLC couldn't use the footage?

I have this whole scenario in my head that TLC drove through The Castro on purpose (there were probably other viable routes to their destination) in order to get their reaction, but didn't anticipate Boob and J'chelle's extreme negativity. Or maybe my imagination is a bit too active. Anyway, I've wondered this ever since the episode aired.

I guess I wasn't clear - I want to see footage of them driving through The Castro on Halloween night like Boob said they did. They walked around in the daylight on Nov. 1 after the debauchery was over. Boob made a comment in a shop along the lines of them driving through a big party, IIRC (which I might not be). And J'chelle made the comment about how they're always having parties at their house.

No, they don't have footage of them going through the Castro, but two things worked against the Duggars seeing the full monty (so to speak) that night.

1. It was raining cats and dogs.

2. The city tried to confine all the revelry to the ballpark, so they wouldn't need a huge police presence in the Castro. Because of the rain, admission fees and lack of vendors, the experiment was a dismal failure.

At any rate, teh gheys pretty much stayed inside that night. Going to the headshop in the Haight (I think they actually bought a skirt for Joy there) was good enough for me. Considering they were actually speaking at a church in Lodi, which is about 75 miles away in the red part of the state, the side trip to SF was a total TLC producer set-up.

From this native Oaklander, the episode was still eminently snarkable, even without any footage of them in the Castro (but man, I would have loved to see the look on Boob's face when he saw his first 6'6" drag queen in full regalia).

Was that the episode where the Duggars visited a bong shop and were blissfully ignorant? Or possibly not so ignorant and just smoking something.

That's the one. Boob said something about all the "unusual glass" that was hysterical. Then he handed out those tracts with the brood to the homeless. Yeah, they're going to emulate your fine example there, Boob. I don't think a street person is going to give two shits about a guy who had, at the time, 17 kids with the 18th on the way.

Forget Halloween. I'd like to extend a personal invitation to the Duggars to visit during the Folsom Street Fair. Chaps optional.

I want them totally overwhelmed. Pride it is! SF's is the original (and I think still the best). They can show up with some Westboro-worthy signage while they sneak peeks at the queens. dykes on bikes and of course, the dudes in the backless chaps. :gay-umbrella:

Isn't San Francisco on the Gothard/quiverful list of "sinful cities" that need to be "reclaimed for God'?

That's the one. Boob said something about all the "unusual glass" that was hysterical. Then he handed out those tracts with the brood to the homeless. Yeah, they're going to emulate your fine example there, Boob. I don't think a street person is going to give two shits about a guy who had, at the time, 17 kids with the 18th on the way.

I remember that episode, it was hysterical when Boob said something about the "unusual glass." :gay-umbrella: :lol: :laughing-rolling:

I wonder if Michelle enjoyed catching a few glimpses herself. Jim Bob is the only man she's seen naked for 20+ years. And a lot of gay guys take really good care of themselves.

I wonder if Michelle enjoyed catching a few glimpses herself. Jim Bob is the only man she's seen naked for 20+ years. And a lot of gay guys take really good care of themselves.

:lol: Yep and they also have better hairstyles than Boob's awful aquanet crapdo.

"Hmm, that's sure funny looking glassware, isn't it?" HAHA one of my favorite moments in all of Duggar history! :) And the look on Michelle's face right afterwards when Sean asks what she thought of the headshop. "The... WHAT? WHAT DID WE VISIT?!" Haaaa!

Oh, and as a Who fan, I appreciated them noticing the "The Kids Are Alright" t-shirt up on the wall.

I couldn't even finish the first clip - so not in a Duggar-watching mood at the moment. But oh my goodness they look so young! Also JB used more hairspray there than I EVER do, and spent way more time on his hair too. I don't even always brush mine in the morning...

Also, way to not be able to actually explain what you don't like about Halloween, Michelle. Pretty sure what you wanted to say is "Gothard told us Halloween is the Devil's holiday, so we decided not to celebrate it." (Not sure Gothard says that, if a former fundie wants to fill me in I'd be grateful, it just sounds like the sort of nonsense he'd spew.)

In my church, we still have Nov 1 as All Saint's (= souls/hallows) Day, and we remember those who died in the last year the following Sunday with bell-ringing. Pretty sure dressing up in a silly costume on Oct 31, All Hallow's Eve, and eating candy with my friends does not make me a Satan-worshipper. Sure, definitely influenced by pagan traditions. So are many other "Christian" holidays. Isn't what actually matters how you actually approach these things in your own mind/heart?

In my church, we still have Nov 1 as All Saint's (= souls/hallows) Day, and we remember those who died in the last year the following Sunday with bell-ringing. Pretty sure dressing up in a silly costume on Oct 31, All Hallow's Eve, and eating candy with my friends does not make me a Satan-worshipper. Sure, definitely influenced by pagan traditions. So are many other "Christian" holidays. Isn't what actually matters how you actually approach these things in your own mind/heart?

No, that would be entirely too logical.

I would also love to see that footage. I can Boob being horrified by the sight of two men holding hands and kissing.

You don't know how badly I want to imagine him being secretly turned on.

Oh, and as a Who fan, I appreciated them noticing the "The Kids Are Alright" t-shirt up on the wall.

Oh how I wish I could buy those for all of the Duggar kids. Except for Smugger, though.

I've always wanted to wear a Nike tshirt and my fundie approved denim skirt if I met the Duggars. I'm going to change that to a "The Kids are alright" tshirt instead of the nike one.

The Duggars' buddy, Doug Phillips, gave an award to the documentary Shaky Town (made by the creators of The Monstrous Regiment of Women) back at the 2004 SAIFF. I haven't seen it, but apparently, it's about how Christians are persecuted by militant gays and their supporters. So yeah, I think that the Duggars probably felt ill at ease in San Francisco. It's got to be tough to be a Christian 'cause Christians are obviously a persecuted minority. Heh.

The Duggars' buddy, Doug Phillips, gave an award to the documentary Shaky Town (made by the creators of The Monstrous Regiment of Women) back at the 2004 SAIFF. I haven't seen it, but apparently, it's about how Christians are persecuted by militant gays and their supporters. So yeah, I think that the Duggars probably felt ill at ease in San Francisco. It's got to be tough to be a Christian 'cause Christians are obviously a persecuted minority. Heh.

Doug doth protest too much.

Was that the episode where the Duggars visited a bong shop and were blissfully ignorant? Or possibly not so ignorant and just smoking something.

I think they were trying to seem ignorant and to a degree they were... But I'm fairly certain from JB's "interesting glassware" comment that he at least knew more than he was letting on. Michelle seemed genuinely confused as to what a head shop was though, which made me laugh seeing as I grew in a Province where pot is the largest cash crop.

Forget Halloween. I'd like to extend a personal invitation to the Duggars to visit during the Folsom Street Fair. Chaps optional.

Amen, sister!

And yes, for the record, I once wore a denim "frumper" to Folsom.

Archived