IGNORED

Elmer Gantry movie

lizziesmom

I just saw this for the first time and it is so contemporary in its portrayal of fundies even though it is set in the 30s I'm guessing, at the latest. Anybody else see it?

I've seen Elmer Gantry, but I haven't seen the whole movie in years. I agree that it hits hard in its portrayal of fundamentalism and opportunistic preachers. The character of Sister Sharon is based partly on Aimee Semple McPherson.

I saw it for the first time last year. What's amazing is that every Free Will Baptist preacher I ever saw preached exactly like Elmer Gantry. It must be reqiured viewing for them. (Some IFB preachers are almost as bad, but for the most part they aren't as flamboyant, just angry.)

I'm trying to read the book right now (ordered it for my Kindle after seeing the film). There is a lot more plot -- the book begins with Elmer in a Baptist college where he is a big football hero. He opts to study religion rather than law because he thinks it will be an easier life.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the book as a teen (went through a Sinclair Lewis binge), and have seen the movie many times. I have the book on my Kindle and am hoping to re-read it soon.

I think it's something that would interest a lot of FJers.

Burt Lancaster, swaggering, charming, athletic and handsome, does a great job in the title role.

And Shirley Jones is wonderful - "Oh, he gave me special instructions back of the pulpit Christmas Eve. He got to howlin' "Repent! Repent!" and I got to moanin' "Save me! Save me!" and the first thing I know he rammed the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old man's footsteps!"

This is the first time I've looked at the QFoWD section, BTW -- hi, all!

I just saw this for the first time and it is so contemporary in its portrayal of fundies even though it is set in the 30s I'm guessing, at the latest. Anybody else see it?

I didn't even know there was a film!

Elmer Gantry is one of my favourite books ever (along with Babbitt, by the same author). I want to see the film BADLY.

I didn't even know there was a film!

Elmer Gantry is one of my favourite books ever (along with Babbitt, by the same author). I want to see the film BADLY.

JFC, you can whet your appetite with clips, here:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/16632/Elmer-Gantry/

ETA - the 1936 film of Lewis' Dodsworth is also good.

• 1 month later...

Turner Classic Movies is showing Elmer Gantry this next Wednesday/early Thursday at 12 midnight. TCM is also showing it in December, January and February. Burt is TCM's Star of the Month so they showing many of his films.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.h ... mer-Gantry

I remember catching Dodsworth on TCM one day and just being blown away by how good it was. I try to catch it whenever it airs now.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/73332/Dodsworth/

Turner Classic Movies is showing Elmer Gantry this next Wednesday/early Thursday at 12 midnight.

Just a reminder -- that's tonight!

I may not stay awake, though -- must get up early tomorrow.

Archived