IGNORED

Grrrr....email forward re Target

2xx1xy1JD

Why, oh why, would anyone who knows me think that it's a good idea to do an idiotic "forward this message to everyone you know" of a rant claiming that a corporation is "Muslim owned" and "anti-Christian"? Two seconds of googling "snopes Target Muslim" nicely debunked the rumours.

It was sent to me by a friend's mother, who is a nice lady in her 70s. My reply was "This is a vicious and FALSE rumour", with a link to the snopes piece. I hit reply all. I really don't want to embarrass an older lady, but I can't let this stand, and maybe people will think twice about doing mindless email forwards.

I have an aunt and a cousin who are constantly posting crap like this on Facebook. I try to just ignore most of it because FB is our only method of contact (they live far away and I haven't seen them in almost forty years, so it's been great to reconnect via teh internetz). Occasionally, though, I will try to gently correct the misconception.

why would every business have to be christian owned?

This. As a Christian I have no problem frequenting a non-Christian-owned establishment. I don't care if it's Jewish-run, Muslim-run, or whatever. In fact, most of the time I have no idea what the religious affiliation is of the owner, and don't particularly care. All I care about is whether they have or can do what I need at a reasonable price.

Update: she thanked me for the correction, said she usually checked snopes but didn't this time, and we wished each other a Happy New Year. All good.

Archived