IGNORED

What's the "too many cats" tipping point?

Rowan

I am currently "owned" by two moggies (12 and nearly 4 years old). And I fell in love with a gorgeous little girl at the store tonight (she's through an adoption agency, not for sale by the store).

There are logistical issues - where I'd put another litter box for one, and hoping and :pray: that they would all get along together.

But I'm also 34 and single. Would love for that status to change. I'm thinking three cats may be one to many when it comes to many guys though. But WOW was she a beauty and the way she looked at me! I couldn't even consider adopting her until after Labor Day so there is the very likely situation that she'd find a home with someone else before then. But if she doesn't.....

Am I insane? Would it kill just about any prospect I have? (Please note that it's not like I'm going out on several dates a month - heck, I'm lucky to end up with 2 in a year!)

Depends. How well do you think your other cats will adjust? Is the older cat in ill health, what are the personalities at play? How big is your place? I only have one cat (an obese male) but he can overpower our 4 bedroom house because his litterbox habits aren't too top notch.

TBH I don't see a huge difference between 2 and 3 cats but if it tips some fragile balance between swinging single lady on the town and lonely spinster (even if its just in your own head) it might not be worth it.

At one point we had 6. For 2-3 years, we had 5. All males. We always had two big litter boxes and cleaned them every day.

Right now we have 3 females. The youngest doesn't get along with the middle one; when 19yo son moves out (probably in the next year or two) middle one will go with him.

Signed,

Crazy Cat Lady :wink-kitty:

ETA: My husband is a total cat person, he had two when we married.

For most people, three isn't it! If you cannot take care of them all adequately (and that is a huge concern when one or more of them are older cats), then you have too many. If you can, though, then you are not at the tipping point.

As far as I am concerned, you want a guy who wants you, right? Warts, cats, and all!

I had three at one point. It was a bit much because two were very elderly (19 & 23) & their little sister is sweet, but stupid.

Now the elderly cats have passed on I just have their sister & an insane 3 yr old ball of muscle (& fat). They don't hate each other, but they don't curl up together very often either.

If all the cats are young & able to look after themselves i'd say 5 would be my tipping point. The crazy cat lady thing is funny but silly a bit sexist & harking back to the days when you were married or an old maid, no in between. Nobody bats an eyelid when a single man has a dog or two.

The same with children-as many as you like as long as you can look after them all correctly and afford to give them food and medical care.

I know someone who has five awesome cats, including the fluffiest kitten I have ever seen.

I was thinking about getting Eli a little playmate, so I had my sister bring over his littermate Lizzie for a play date. That did not go over well at all. Eli wanted her off the premises. So, that was my tipping point. Some cats thrive in multi-cat households, and others want to be the only child. If you're existing cat(s) can get along with another housemate, there's also the economics to consider....the cost of extra food, vet care, etc. and whether or not you can actually devote the time needed for the number of cats you want to have.

What RosyDaisy said. :)

My situation: One 12-year-old boy kitty in overall good health but a touchy digestive system and asthma. I've thought about getting him a friend, but the lat time I did he wasn't amused. And my other (now dearly departed) kitty developed diabetes and kidney disease (I adopted her when she was a senior); it ended up being really expensive and I was already poor.

Anyway, if you're financially comfy enough and your cats are amenable to company, I don't think 3 is at all unreasonable. You could always foster a cat from a shelter, and if he or she is a good fit, adopt.

For me, too many cats would be, well...there could never be too many ! I'm slightly obsessed and as long as I had the resources, as well as the time to cuddle them all every day I would want to make my house a cat refuge :lol:

On a more serious note, I would say, as many as you can afford and care for properly, and also, how well they all get along with each other. Sometimes adding another cat can tip the balance, but it can also be hard to know that before you actually add them.

I wouldn't worry about what people think- lots of people have multiple dogs, birds, snakes,rabbits etc. Break the stereotype and be awesome happy cat lady :mrgreen:

Anyway, if you're financially comfy enough and your cats are amenable to company, I don't think 3 is at all unreasonable. You could always foster a cat from a shelter, and if he or she is a good fit, adopt.

Fostering for a shelter or rescue group is AWESOME. I've been doing it for a while, and my specialty is special-needs cats who are old, ill, or just need time and TLC to get them into adoptable condition.

I also have my own cats, a couple of whom started out as fosters but were 1) a really good fit with my existing cats, and 2) had health/age/appearance issues that made them unlikely to get adopted. But I've been able to let the others go when their time with me was up far easier than I thought I would. I do get attached, but it's gratifying to to see these hard-luck cats go on to find permanent homes. Plus, there's always another cat who needs my help.

Other foster parents specialize in kittens, or socializing semi-ferals, or working on behavior issues. But most just give healthy, normal adult cats a break from life in a shelter, and improve their chances of getting adopted by getting to know them better. My first foster was a really shy cat who completely shut down in a shelter environment, but blossomed into the most wonderful, intelligent, sweet fellow once I got him home. He'd spent months at the shelter being passed over for more sociable kitties, but my description of what he was really like convinced a couple to take a chance and adopt him. Things like that make fostering so gratifying to me.

And the great thing? The shelter pays all the vet bills. They'll also provide food and supplies. If a cat isn't working out in your household, they'll take it back. So if for any reason you're not up to cat ownership (or adding another full-time resident), but are able to house a foster kitty, I can't recommend it enough.

We had three up until one of my beloved kitties died unexpectedly last October. We now have two, but will be going up to three again soon when we adopt a kitten :).

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. :-)

I did go back there tonight to see if I could interact with her. When we were walking back, the employee thought I was a volunteer from the adoption agency and warned me that Sugar was a little tempermental today. She was the one I was there to see. Because of her history (found cold and starving on her foster mom's porch), she's slightly skittish and tetchy. I was able to pet her and she enjoyed it but I was completely on guard doing it. So, no go after all. If she was going to be an only kitty, that would be different. I hope she finds a good home.

Of course the one below her was clamoring for attention so when I was done with Sugar, the employee opened her cage and she went running right out to the "get to know you room" and up on the bench. When I sat down, she came right into my lap. Little lovebug. Sure, make the decision I made 2 minutes before that my two are enough for now that much harder! I hope she finds a family soon - she will be a wonderful family cat. I haven't ruled her out but I'll wait until after Labor Day (can't even consider it before then) and see what her status is then - hopefully she'll be already established as the pampered goddess she is in her new home. :-)

And I have long thought about fostering - but I'm in an apartment so that's a no-go for the time being. I do love reading the blogs and watching the different kitten cams, and I have much respect for the people who are able to do what they do. :-)

Three is my personal tipping point. By that, I think that unless you live on a farm and some are outside cats, four seems like way too many. One is lonely, two is fine, three is ok, and four is just too many cats. Plus in many cities there are laws.

My friend once joked that the number of cats that belonged in one home should be equivalent to the number of floors in that home. So since we had three floors (basement, main floor, upstairs floor) we were OK having three cats :wink-kitty:

For me, the point where it would get a bit weird would be 5 or more cats, I think. But don't worry about it.

I used to live near a place and they had at least 20 cats. They were always sitting out there in the garden. Some of them were really beautiful! I wonder who those people were, though.

My grandfather had about 40 cats although they all lived outside in the barn. He did love his cats, though.

Does anyone remember the story in James Herriot's books about Mrs Bonds and how she had all these cats, one of whom was named Boris. Boris was quite a handful, jumping all over the Bonds' cottage and scratching Mr Herriot terribly. It took Tristan and his ability to wrap a cat in a bed sheet so that only the area the vets needed to examine was exposed that saved the day. People would say about Tristan that by, gad, he could wrap a cat.

One of my grandcats has to be wrapped.

this is when you have too many cats

5147_zps29b72265.jpg

I don't think that person has too many cats. After all, there's still plenty of window space for more cat figures. :wink-kitty:

I have 5 cats. The oldest 2 are 9 y.o. siblings, the middle cat is their bio brother but 2 years younger, then 2 unrelated cats. The youngest just turned 1 and is the kitty in my avatar. He is a feral I rescued last summer. If I could fine the right calico I would have one more so 6 is my tipping point. If I had my own house I'd probably have a few outside cats. I do find it hard to keep up with vet bills. I had big expenses last year when one of my cats became suddenly very il and subsequently died. I had an autopsy done because I felt it important to know what she died from in case my other cats were at risk.

My cats are all neutered/spayed. I'm not in favor of owning cats who aren't.

I think space is an important factor in terms too many. Growing up we had four cats at one point along with two dogs but we had a decent size house so it didn't feel too crazy however in my SIL's two bedroom apartment four cats feels like a lot.

Archived