IGNORED

What do you call your family?

JesusFightClub

I call my husband by his first name usually. I avoid pet names for him because I come up with the weirdest shit. Sometimes I call him G-Dawg. I don't know why.

This makes me laugh because I make up weird nicknames, too, but I do use them. I call my husband G-Funky, which is funny to me because he's very laid back and rather un-funky. I've been calling him Moose since we were newlyweds, too. Sometimes Moosie, Mr. Moose-tastic, or if he's in a bad mood, Moose-olini.

My nicknames are all versions of my first name (it's Heather, like 75% of other girls born in my same decade). My husband calls me Heathella (like Cruella) or Aunt Heater (because when I was little I always forgot that my name had the 2nd H).

We call my oldest daughter Snoot. Can't remember how that started. Second daughter is call Bat or Batty, which is a really roundabout play on her name. Oldest son is Levitate, based on a text autocorrect. Second son is Tito, the Spanish language nickname (his first name plus -ito). The baby is Guppy, because he used to make fishy faces. The girls call him El Guppino. There are about a hundred other versions of that nickname. Poor kid just refers to himself as "baby," anyway. He may not know his real name.

I call my Mom "Moo" when I'm being silly, and she occasionally signs her emails that way in return. One of my nephews is called "Salad," because we went to a restaurant once that had a salad with a version of his first name. It started as calling him (firstname) salad, but salad is what stuck.

This has made me very aware that I don't have nicknames for my family. My mom is mom, dad is dad, rarely daddy, stepparents go by their names, grandparents are grandma/grandpa lastname (only when relating them to other people... I just use grandma/grandpa with them). Aunts and Uncles are aunt/uncle name. This is sad because I want to use cool nicknames.

Even with my best friends, we all call each other by our normal names. I guess I do have one friend I used to play video games with and I stole the work husband/work wife thing from Grey's Anatomy and sometimes he still calls me Work Wife. Does that count?

Oh wait, one of my grandmas calls me Josephine (not my name). And my best friend's sister and I have nicknames for each other because her phone autocorrected my name to something else, and in my drunk state at the time I decided to change her name slightly too. Those have stuck for a good six months.

My dogs, cat, and fish do have about three dozen nicknames though. Abigail is partly Abby, Ab, Gab, Gabby, Gabigail (so original), Evelyn is Evie and Pea/Pee/P, Sophie is sometimes nanny, nanner, or nan, and my fish is Gary Sinise but he mostly gets called Gary or Lieutenant (Dan).

My grandparents on my dads side were Grandpa and Nana and Nonna and Nonno on my moms side. My aunts and uncles we always just called them by their first name. To my niece I am E. My baby has many nicknames so far Mona, Romi, and Mo are the most popular.

I call my mom and dad "mom and dad". I do not have any grandparents anymore, but they were just gran when they were alive. Both my grandfathers died before I was born.

My dad is remarried, and now has two granchildren and 3 step granchildren, and lots of in-law little kids, so everyone just calls him "Chrispa" (his name is Chris) and my step-mom is "Gogo" which is Zulu for grandmother.

I call my daugher Flinky. I have no idea why as it not even close to her actual name, but there it is.

She used to call me Wawi when she was little (and still does sometimes now when she is batting her eyelashes at me!)

My niece calls her mom "Nani" and her dad "Fader-daddy".

My daugher calls her step mom by her name.

My only Aunt is either called "Aunty her-name" or just her-name depending on what mood I'm in.

I called my mom's parents "grandma and grandpa" and for the longest time I thought that was the only thing to call grandparents. I never know my dad's parents but I've always called my dad's aunt "Nana" because her grandchildren did. At some point I dropped the uncle and started just using their first names. I occasionally will call my dad by his first name when he starts to ramble and ignores me saying Dad.

• 2 weeks later...

To differentiate between other grandmas, my mother's official title is, "Grandma with the dogs" and my kids always use the whole thing. Let's call grandma with the dogs, here you got a card from grandma with the dogs.

And now one dog died so it's just grandma with the dog.

My grandma was known as Chief, or The Chief. Everyone called her that. My grandfather gave her that nickname since she was from Seattle (Chief Seattle). They were Papa and the chief. Miss them :(

Since papa was still alive when ny kids were born, my dad (papas son) became known as Poppy. That's what we all call him now.

Archived