IGNORED

What do you call your family?

JesusFightClub

Um, that sounded a bit shit :embarrassed: I mean, what nicknames etc do you give them?

Small and Smaller (my nieces) get nicknames off me which are just shortenings of their real names. My brother (their dad) calls them by their real names with "-es" or "-ey"on the end which makes them sound like football players. I've also been known to absentmindedly address them as "comrade" just cause I use that so often with other people. This confuses them greatly. :lol:

They usually call me by my real name or Auntie (my real name) but Small, who can write, cannot spell my name at all. :lol: It's not that tough but if you're taught spelling via phonetics, it really doesn't make any sense...

They have a Grandma (my mum) and a Papi (my dad). On the other side of the family they have a Granny and a Nana (with her partner who is Papa Bill). Granny's partner is usually called by his full name, she's not got one at the moment. My one remaining grandparent is Grandpa to me and Granddad Jim to them. My grandparents when I had a full set were Granny and Papa (dad's side) and Grandpa and Grandma (mum's side). Their dad is either Daddy or if they're really annoyed with him, he gets his full name. :lol:

I wondered about what FJists called their family members. Or if you have any cool stories about how they got their names!

My dad is Father or Crazy. The nickname started as Crazy Pierre, when he was driving us around New Caledonia in a little Peugeot like a rally diver.

My mum is Mother, Marmee, Maman or Mothership. Her nickname was started by my sister, no idea why. I called my parents mummy & daddy until I was about 16. :embarrassed:

I call my grandparents Nana or Grandpa, it used to be with their surname at the end, but as we only have one of each now there is no need.

My aunts & uncle are all by their given name. But I call my grandpa's Irish cousin & his wife Aunt & Uncle, they are more like grandparents though.

We refer to my stepmom as Stanny for my son. She chose it (a combination of step granny) because her other children are so much younger than me that she didn't want to be called grandma yet. My mom and her husband are Mema (mee-maw) and Pops. My husband's parents are just grandma and grandpa (sometimes with last name attached). I always refered to my grandmothers as Grammy and Gram.

My dad is Dad or Daddy, my mom is Mom or Mommy Dearest Can I Please Borrow Your Car I Won't Scratch It. Sometimes my sisters and I call my dad by his first name - I made the mistake of doing this in front of my fundie-lite employers once and they just about had a stroke. Grandparents - all deceased by now - are Grandpa B, Grandma, Grandpa C and Nana, while my parents go by Poppa and (first name) with the grandchildren, as my mom is not their grandmother. Aunts and Uncles and non-related godparents all go by Aunt and Uncle. Everyone else is just plain first name, maybe a common nickname (like Billy for William). But do you think my own nieces and nephews and godson call me Aunt? NOPE!

I call them Fucking Nuts. There's probably a clinical term that is a better fit.

ETA: Sorry, don't mean to derail. It's really the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title. Carry on.

I rarely call my husband by his name, just Honey. I call my kids Sugarbear, from the Elton John song Someone Saved My Life Tonight (I'm an Elton fanatic). My parents are Grandmom and Grandad, my IL's are Nonny and Poppy.

My grandmothers were Nana and Tot (hard to explain, but it just fit her perfectly). A cool coinkidink is that my best friend's daughter calls her grandmother Tot also, and she totally came up with it on her own. My grandfathers were Papaw and Pop, and we just called my Nana's second husband by his first name. My great-grandmothers were Damma and Data - don't ask, I have no idea.

When I am a grandmother, I want to be Nana.

ETA: with a nod to Lemonhead's brilliant answer, sometimes I call them batshit crazy.

My husband and I have lots of silly pet names for each other, most of which are plays on our names. Dinaberries is one of the first ones he started calling me. We usually call each other baby, babe, honey, my love, etc. We are pretty gag worthy!

Our son is named William but everyone calls him liam. For nicknames we call him lee lee, liam cub, squee-um, squilliam, etc. When I was pregnant, we called him nugget.

My sister and I used to call each other by plays on our names, some of which are pretty rude, but we usually call each other sis these days.

I call my aunts and uncles auntie or uncle so and so. I do the same for people who are more distant relatives and family friends in hawaii. It's a respect thing in my culture.

I call my mother mom, mama, and very occasionally mommy. My son will be calling her grandma herfirstname to differentiate from my father in law's partner, who liam will also call grandma.

I call my step father by his first name. If my son ever meets him, he will call him by his first name as well.

I called my grandparents nanny and papa. Well, I still call my grandmother nanny but my grandfather has passed.

I call my father in law by his first name, which feels weird to me but he prefers. I'm used to calling older people mister and miss/ms/mrs.

For our parents it was always "Mom" and "Dad."

Brother Claddagh will sometimes call me "Sis."

Most of the time I call him by his given full name. We never really developed nicknames for one another.

My daughter is "Bum" and variations thereof, bummers, bummie, etc. My son is "Boo" and also boogers, boogie, boogie-woogie, boogie-boo, looly-loo, and so forth...

I have no idea why and I promise I'm sane otherwise.

My family doesn't do a lot of nicknames... I'm the only one who really has one. My mom's parents and sometimes my mom call me "Princess" which is a combo of my love for the book/movie A Little Princess and a joke that I am the spoiled child. My brother has a name with a common nickname which he goes by at school and work but my parents won't call him that, so I don't think I ever have either.

Grandparents are both Nana (pronounced Nanny) and Poppa. Aunts and Uncles are Aunt/Uncle haha, except I usually just call my youngest uncle by his first name because otherwise it's a little weird, he's only a few years older than I am. My parents are Mom and Dad although my sister now calls my mom "Mother" occasionally, when she's annoyed or being sarcastic.

My best friend's family is Filippino and I have occasionally been called "Ate (Firstname)" or just "Ate" by younger kids in her family or at her family's parties. It means older sister.

I call my mom Mom usually. Sometimes Mama or Mommy (if I want something, haha, or I'm whining at her). I like calling her Mamalou for some reason. Mumsy or Mummers when I'm being annoying. I also occasionally call her by her first name, just to annoy her a little. I got that from my brother.

I call my dad, Dad. Maybe Pater if I'm being weird.

I call my husband by his first name usually. I avoid pet names for him because I come up with the weirdest shit. Sometimes I call him G-Dawg. I don't know why. He calls me by my name, Babe, or Baby.

I call my cats all manner of weird names. I'm amazed that they seem to know their actual names. My favourite one (for both of them) is probably Boo. Sometimes Booington. Occasionally Littlebug or Buggleboo/Bugaboo. Bugbear, Little Bear, Little Duck, Ducky, Lovebug, Mr. Snugglepants, Mr. Littlepants, Bunny, Bunnyboo, Bunnybear, Plum, Snuggleducks, Googlebot, Goober, Boodlebug, Duckleberry Pie (I don't know...this is not even the worst one). I have tons, and if I were to list them all, it would take me forever. I call the neighbour cat down the street "Little Mr. Portlypants." I don't know his name, or even if it's a "him," really, but he's super-friendly and quite portly. If I don't see him for awhile (his humans often put him out on the step, which he seems to find quite insulting), I assume that his feet can't reach the floor and he'll be out again once they can. You know, like when Garfield eats too much. :lol:

My grandmother raised me and she is Napoo. Not sure where the name came from but it stuck. My mother is ma or mom. We call my brother bubba or bubbles. He has a real name but we are rednecks haha.

My family all go by weird arse nicknames that we dreamed up when my brother and I were in primary school. We had a secret language to go along with if all.

My kids get diminutives of their names or just "chooky" or "possum".

Dh gets his own name-the shortened version for the most part unless I'm trying to get his attention. Terms of affection are only used when I'm being a sarcastic birch.

I get called by the shortest (very) common diminutive of my given name. I absolutely hate it, but given this is Australia (where even the shortest names are shortened further, to a single letter if need be), it's not going to change anytime soon.

I call them Fucking Nuts. There's probably a clinical term that is a better fit.

ETA: Sorry, don't mean to derail. It's really the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title. Carry on.

Lol. That was my first thought too.

My grandmothers are both Nana. My grandfathers were Grampie and Pop. My parents are Mum and Dad.

I don't have kids, but I have a three year old niece who calls me Auntie. My partner is Uncle (name). Mum is Nanny to her and Dad is Papa. I call my niece a wide variety of nicknames. For the longest time, she was (name)-boo. I just kept her for a week while her parents were at an out of town wedding. She was everything from Snickerdoodle to Tubby Tooter, after a particularly musical bathtime :lol:. She thought Tubby Tooter was hilarious.

I call my husband Ratnose and Whiskers. Ratnose just kind of happened somehow, and Whiskers because before we have sweet fellowship he has this look like he wants to pounce on me like a cat pounces on a mouse :lol: My daughter is called Stinkle and my son is Bubba or Bobo. I call the rest of my family a nest of vipers, because they're some really ruthless creatures. My late mom was called Granny or Gigi by my kids, and my late MIL was called Gamma. They were wonderful women. I call my BIL Sally because he hurt his hand and whined like a little girl, and he calls me Rainbow Bitch. We kid because we love :wink-kitty:

ETA When BIL is single he calls himself The Lone Wolf.

My dad was dad or baba. My mom is ma or mama. My grandmother were "Yiayia AreteJo" and "Yiayia Penelope" if we were referring to them in the third person, both just "yiayia" if we were addressing them directly. Grandfathers were "Papou Petro" and "Papou Socrates". Papou directly. On my mom's side of the family, all aunts were TheaFirstName and TheoFirstName. Great-uncles got the honorific of "BarbaFirstName". On my dad's side, his siblings all insisted we address them by their given names, no honorifics (can you tell we have a higher than average concentration of Leftists on that side of the family?).

Niblings so far are addressed by their full names because we don't seem to do a lot of nicknames, other than the occasional "peanut" or "pumpkin" with babies. I am Thea AreteJo to them, because that is their parents' preference.

My dad grew up in the cusp of the part of Greek society that used French as a second language, and some terms carried over in his generation. He and his siblings would refer to their mother as Mrs or Madame AreteJo in the first person, or Madame My Mother or Madame Your Grandmother when speaking in the third. Same thing for her peers- "Madame, your aunt Penelope sends her love".

My parents and in-laws are both Mom and Dad, though I will sometimes revert to Daddy for my dad after dealing my FIL's crazy crap (distancing them). Siblings get names, sometimes silly nicknames. Husband gets either his childhood nickname or his "professional" name, along with honey, baby, sweetheart, etc.

The kids are where I go wild. Daughter's nickname theme is "chicken"... so chicken, Chickie, chick, nugget, nuggetbutt, chickiebutt, etc. Son's theme is "puppy", so a lot of the same variations as above, plus variants on Sonny Jim: jimmalette, Jimmy Dean, jim-jim... they also both get variants or rhymes on their names. I'm terrible and going to embarrass them so badly someday

My mother is helpfully marrying another man named Mike after the spectacular failure of her second marriage. The good news is my kids can just call this one Pop Pop Mike also. No need to learn a new name!

She is of course just crazy Mom mom.

The wedding theme will be "The triumph of hope over experience."

But that's generally a given whenever my family attempts any sort of large get together.

Nothing weird with my family except my sister and I both call each other "Sister." I rarely use her name, just call her by the word sister.

I most always call my husband Baby.

Mother = Mama (deceased)

Father = Daddy

Sister = Sister or her name

Grandmother = Mammy

Eli (my cat) = Little Lucifer (when he's being mean)

SO (he's not my husband, maybe one day though) = Sugar

Edit to remove something I should not have said

My oldest kid started saying Baba (for my FIL) and Tata (for my MIL), since that was how she pronounced Saba and Savta (Hebrew for grandfather and grandmother) as a toddler. The terms stuck, and are now the official terms used by all of their grandchildren.

My parents are Bubby and Zaida to them (Yiddish for grandmother and grandfather).

My husband's late grandmother was Nana.

My son is sometimes Yoyo, and my middle daughter is sometimes Ni-ni.

We used to use Aunt and Uncle before each of our siblings' names with our kids, but we got lazy and just use their first names now. They are all younger than us.

That was my first thought as well, as my dad's side of the family really is fucked up. The most fucked up member is the mentally unstable uncle, and verbal elder abuse isn't considered a reason to force him into treatment. Unfortunately, my grandma is now isolated because she's enabled him his whole life, and he lives with her. Basically, the reason people won't visit my grandma is that nobody can stand to be around that uncle. Home healthcare nurses even quit because of that uncle. My dad started having symptoms of high blood pressure due to the stress of that whole clusterfuck, and it's been almost a year since he's visited.

On my mom's side, my great grandma was called Momo since my mom and siblings were children. Her husband was called Dado but he died years before I was born.

My mom is Mema and my father was Papa to my kids - my eldest started calling them that on his own. Her other grandchildren DON'T call her Mema, and it bums my mom out. :) My husband's parents are Grandpa (first name) and Grandma (first name) Don't know how that started.

My maternal grandmother was Nana, and maternal grandfather was Grampie. Paternal side I had Grammie and Granddad. Aunts and uncles are aunt (name) and uncle (name.)

I called my mother "Mum" (she's English Canadian so that is always how she said it although we always spell it Mom.) My father was Dad.

Nicknames for my sons, monkey, sweetheart, darling, various names of nuts, Filk for the youngest (because my eldest said he should be called filk because he filled up on milk.) Lots of people call him Filk or Filkie actually, esp'ly if they knew him when he was little. And whatever springs into my head. I call them Sir when I'm ticked with them, and if I am calling them both, I say "Gentlemen!" which gets every adult man turing around too with quizzical expressions on their faces.

Until certain members died off, I called my family Dysfunction Junction. When people would ask me what I was doing at holidays, I'd say "Flying back to Dysfunction Junction." I even had my own alternative sets of lyrics to the Schoolhouse Rock tune ("Conjunction Junction") that inspired it.

My father was "Dad" to my siblings and I. My younger sister occasionally called him "Daddy," even as an adult, but I stopped by the time I was about 5 or 6 because it just didn't fit. When he was being a condescending ass, he'd call me "Daughter," and I'd call him "Father" in response.

My mother is "Mom." Sometimes, she's "Mother," usually when she's needlessly worrying over something. When it's really dire and I am reduced to eyerolling, she's "Motherrr." I also call her "Kittycat" because she's kind of like a grumpy old calico cat who only wants to be petted by certain people and on her terms. And if she's up past her bedtime, she's also "Scrunchyface" or "Scrunchy" because when she's tired her face scrunches up. She calls me "Kid" or "Kiddo" on occasion.

My paternal great-grandparents were Grandma [firstname] and Grandpa [firstname]. My grandparents on both sides were Nana [firstname] and Grandpa [firstname]. To my sister's kids, my mom is "Grammy [short version of name, never used by anyone else]". She's also "Grammy in the Box" because she Skypes with my sister and her kids every Sunday morning. I'm not sure what they call my BIL's mom--she's either Grammy or Grandma. My father would have been Grandpa; my stepdad is "Papa [first initial]."

Our grandmother's sisters, my mom's sister, and their husbands are all Aunt/Uncle [firstname].

To my sister's kids, I am Auntie Jezebel. I get the extra distinction because I am their Crazy Auntie, the one who will one day introduce them to bacon and motorcycles, and buy them drum kits. I call my nephew Wee Man, Mister, Monkeyboy, and (more often) Bubba. His sister just arrived in June, so she's just the Wee Girlie right now.

My kid sister calls me Sister, and I call her Kiddo, and we call our older brother Brother, but they're casual greetings--we usually stick to first names, and none of us has a nickname.

As for animals, dogs are all "Dogger." I'm the only cat owner, and the all-purpose nicknames are "Booger," "Stinkface," and "Catto." I'd get into individual nicknames, but wit 10 resident cats and three fosters on hand right now? Nah, no need to tl;dr like that...

My Mom, upon becoming a grandmother, went through a stage where she wanted to be called "Gramsy". My sister and I quickly changed it to "Grimsy". We still get mileage out of that one.

Archived