IGNORED

Engaged on first date

fun2beme

Another one who got engaged the first time she her saw her now-husband. She's not too snarkworthy, though I get the impression that she thinks pretty highly of herself:

racheletcetera.com

In a way they were somewhat engaged even before they met, given her now-husband emailed her saying he knew he wanted to marry her, didn't even have to meet her to know that!

Okay, so getting engaged this first time you meet is strange, but I can see how they could have known a lot about each other through emails and phone calls.

And I admit we celebrated a lot of "little anniversaries" but that we didn't advertise each on a blog or FB, etc.

Okay, so getting engaged this first time you meet is strange, but I can see how they could have known a lot about each other through emails and phone calls.

And I admit we celebrated a lot of "little anniversaries" but that we didn't advertise each on a blog or FB, etc.

I get celebrating "little anniversaries" as we did that a lot and still do but it's just between us. Nobody else out there is going to care.

I can see feeling like you know someone after emails and phone calls, but still it's a little chancy to me. You still need to get to know the person IRL.

This reminds me of a friend that did get engaged on a first date. Seriously. She was recently divorced and floundering around quite a bit. She met this guy who was a FOAF who immediately asked her out. Next the day they went out and he proposed before the date was over. Married two months later.

I think we'll see more of this (among everyone; not just fundies) as a natural result of internet/long distance dating.

There's a pretty big difference between being in a relationship with someone and thenhaving to do long-distance for a while and just doing a correspondence-type relationship from the beginning. Although she did say that she had known his family for several years.

On the plus side, she has a job of her own. Also, both she and her husband come from families with only 4 children.

I also have a friend who did this. They divorced after 2 months.

I fully expected my friend to divorce in short order but as far as I know, she's still married to the guy and it's been over 20 years. She got pregnant after a year and while I lost contact with her after she moved (I got annoyed with her new husband jumping on the line every two minutes, demanding to know who she was talking to during our phone calls) a mutual friend of ours reported that the first year or so was pretty difficult. I can see how it would be difficult, not knowing him that much and he turns out to be a control freak. He was wealthy and she was struggling financially after the divorce so I think easing financial hardship was a factor but I wonder if she ever thought that was a good trade. Oh well, back to topic.

I get celebrating "little anniversaries" as we did that a lot and still do but it's just between us. Nobody else out there is going to care.

I can see feeling like you know someone after emails and phone calls, but still it's a little chancy to me. You still need to get to know the person IRL.

This reminds me of a friend that did get engaged on a first date. Seriously. She was recently divorced and floundering around quite a bit. She met this guy who was a FOAF who immediately asked her out. Next the day they went out and he proposed before the date was over. Married two months later.

I was more or less engaged to another guy (had no ring but a tentative date) met guy at next door neighbor's post game party, stayed up all night talking, went to breakfast the next morning and started talking about marriage before they brought our eggs. Met the last of Sept, married the first of the following June, he lived in another city so we called (when Long Distance was NOT free) and wrote and drove back and forth. 35 years since we met (speaking of little anniversaries) this fall.

Here's her parents talking about the engagement. Oops, I mean, here's her father (and mute mother) talking about the engagement.

The thing that bothers me about her blog is that she doesn't seem to do anything. She travels back and forth to Africa, where she hands out tracts and gives informal Bible classes to anyone who wants them. The rest of the time, she's hanging out with her family. It'd be different if she was actually a teacher*, teaching math, language arts, typical elementary school stuff. Or if she worked in a health clinic, offering real help to a community. How do they afford all those plane trips to Africa, as well as traveling around the U.S.?

* she has a master's degree from an unaccredited Bible college, not that that means anything

Maybe the trips to Africa are funded through a church group?

Otherwise I have no idea. I have a friend who is in Africa and I would love to visit her but the plane ticket is just too much.

My grandfather proposed to my grandmother on their first date, and they remained married until they died. It can work, but I would be wary

I was more or less engaged to another guy (had no ring but a tentative date) met guy at next door neighbor's post game party, stayed up all night talking, went to breakfast the next morning and started talking about marriage before they brought our eggs. Met the last of Sept, married the first of the following June, he lived in another city so we called (when Long Distance was NOT free) and wrote and drove back and forth. 35 years since we met (speaking of little anniversaries) this fall.

Congrats on 35 years! That's an interesting story and parts of it rings similar with me and Mr. N. We didn't get engaged after the first date (more like six months) but I was seeing another guy when I met him. Long story short I decided it would be a mistake to let Mr. N. get away.

Here's her parents talking about the engagement. Oops, I mean, here's her father (and mute mother) talking about the engagement.

Mom needs a bra with some support. Her low hanging boobs match Dad's gut.

Archived