IGNORED

Raped? Go to jail!

treehugger

I didn't see a thread for this yet... if there is one, forgive me :pray:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... dubai.html

I cannot believe that someone would be sent to jail for being raped in 2013 - but then again... This is the kind of world the fundies want, isn't it? :angry-banghead:

You know, I was thinking. The thing that bugs me the most about this story (besides the obvious victim blaming, rape culture, complete stupidity, etc...) is you just know that some patriarchal headship is going to read the story and then tell his wife and daughters that it really was the woman's fault because she went on a trip to a different country with a male co-worker :angry-steamingears:

Honestly, the story doesn't surprise me - but it pisses me off that this is the world my daughter is going to grow up in.

I'm not at all shocked this happened in a Gulf State. There is practically no legal recourse for a woman sexually assaulted in places like Saudi Arabia and Dubai. This woman was actually quite lucky, believe it or not. She is from Norway and they have a considerable amount of diplomatic pull. They were able to get her released. If she was a Filipino maid? Forget it. I don't even like to imagine what happens to many of those women while working in the Gulf as servants from a poor country with no influence.

They don't charge anyone with rape unless they confess or if it was witnessed by four Muslim men.

She was also fired by her boss got illicit behavior. He is wissam al mana, Janet Jacksons husband.

This makes me so angry, that any woman should have to go through that on top of being assaulted. I can't say I'm surprised, though. The world's a pretty messed up place sadly.

There was a case a while back of a Saudi rape victim who was sentenced to...I think it was 300... lashes for being alone with the man.

There were also a teenage girl in Iran sentenced to be hanged for killing a guy who was in the process of assaulting her.

What a world.

Not surprised, but still horrified. Oh, this world can suck sometimes.

She has been pardoned by the Sheik.

cnn.com/2013/07/22/world/meast/uae-norway-rape-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Since its as if no crime were ever committed, her alleged rapist was also set free.

She has been pardoned by the Sheik.

cnn.com/2013/07/22/world/meast/uae-norway-rape-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Since its as if no crime were ever committed, her alleged rapist was also set free.

Yeah, this was very bad publicity for Dubai's "brand". They may not give a damn if women are sexually assaulted, but they wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat at the thought of rich European countries keeping back investments. I'm glad she was pardoned and can go home, but nothing has changed there.

Boycotts by western companies/nations until this sort of thing stops are the only way anything will really change. Personally,as a woman, I wouldn't go near one of these countries.

Yeah, this was very bad publicity for Dubai's "brand". They may not give a damn if women are sexually assaulted, but they wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat at the thought of rich European countries keeping back investments. I'm glad she was pardoned and can go home, but nothing has changed there.

"In December 2012, a British woman reported being raped by three men in Dubai. She was found guilty of drinking alcohol without a license and fined.

In January 2010, a British woman told authorities she was raped by an employee at a Dubai hotel. She was charged with public intoxication and having sex outside of marriage.

An Australian woman reported in 2008 that she was drugged and gang-raped. She was convicted of having sex outside marriage and drinking alcohol, and she was sentenced to 11 months in prison."

Boycotts by western companies/nations until this sort of thing stops are the only way anything will really change. Personally,as a woman, I wouldn't go near one of these countries.

Never gonna happen....to much $$$$$$ at stake. :evil: I agree, I won't step foot in one of those countries.

Archived