IGNORED

Amusing Rant on Flip Flops

gustava

On the Russian draft thing. My Mother was not allowed to wash her hair when she had her period. She actually has no idea why. I wonder what they thought would happen?

I think that was a very common custom. I know all sorts of girls who were told that while growing up.

OKTBT, I had hip problems in high school from running on hard surfaces, and I was advised to run on dry sand as much as possible, because it's shock-absorbing but unstable enough to strengthen muscles that don't usually get attention. I discovered I love running / walking barefoot on dry sand-- the sand makes the most perfect arch support there is. (Also, working all those little stability muscles in the lower leg and foot is good for preventing sprains, I think.)

That was actually a popular trend at my high school for like a year when I was in 9th grade. Never did it myself, but that's because I didn't like things between my toes back then.

No no no, walking on a cold floor will chill your uterus and ovaries. I swear I heard this from my Russian grandma. But drafts were also very dangerous, especially in the freezing tundra that is Israel. I rebelled by walking barefoot and not drinking scalding hot tea first thing in the morning.

Oh that's right, I forgot about that! You're also not supposed to sit on anything when you're outside unless you've got a lot of layers on because the cold will shot right up through your vagina into your uterus and ovaries and freeze them forever.

Last time I was in Russia, I stayed with my mom's best friend. There was a record heatwave on - 95 degrees or more every day! In Russia! I slept with my window open, but the dear woman would sneak in after I fell asleep and close it, because God Forbid she sent (27 y/o at the time) me "home to my mother with a cold!" :lol:

OKTBT, I had hip problems in high school from running on hard surfaces, and I was advised to run on dry sand as much as possible, because it's shock-absorbing but unstable enough to strengthen muscles that don't usually get attention. I discovered I love running / walking barefoot on dry sand-- the sand makes the most perfect arch support there is. (Also, working all those little stability muscles in the lower leg and foot is good for preventing sprains, I think.)

Makes sense. It certainly worked for my kid. Not like it's a hardship to go to the beach, especially as we are very lucky geographically that way. Spent that whole summer there :)

I wore flip flops during the summer as a kid. They were kept in the little laundry room at the back door, and we would slide our flip flops on any time we needed to run outside - to the pool, to feed the chickens, whatever. They were cheap, easy to clean, and convenient. We probably also wore them when going to the store, etc. It was my parents' way of saving money on shoes - we got new shoes right before school started each fall.

I can't blame flip flops entirely - but years of wearing shoes that didn't provide good support for my feet have led to me being unable to wear most shoes. The shoes I wear most often are a pair of New Balance walking shoes that provide good support for my arches, as well as cushioning for my entire sole. I've tried many, many varieties and types of shoes trying to find something even slightly more dressy that will also provide comfort for my feet during the day - to no avail so far. I've wasted so much money on shoes that are allegedly supportive, yet end up causing me pain.

So I'm against flip flops and other non-supportive shoes on principle, because I know how miserable it can be when your feet finally rebel and you end up paying for all those years of crap shoes.

I am very sad that I can't even wear a pair of pretty sandals for an hour, say to a party or other event. If I have a dressy function, I have a pair of low heeled black shoes I wear (they aren't particularly attractive, but they look better than athletic shoes). But I will pay for wearing them with foot pain that requires heavy duty pain medication. Oh well, at least I've got one style of shoes that do work, which is better than none!

I wore flip flops during the summer as a kid. They were kept in the little laundry room at the back door, and we would slide our flip flops on any time we needed to run outside - to the pool, to feed the chickens, whatever. They were cheap, easy to clean, and convenient. We probably also wore them when going to the store, etc. It was my parents' way of saving money on shoes - we got new shoes right before school started each fall.

I can't blame flip flops entirely - but years of wearing shoes that didn't provide good support for my feet have led to me being unable to wear most shoes. The shoes I wear most often are a pair of New Balance walking shoes that provide good support for my arches, as well as cushioning for my entire sole. I've tried many, many varieties and types of shoes trying to find something even slightly more dressy that will also provide comfort for my feet during the day - to no avail so far. I've wasted so much money on shoes that are allegedly supportive, yet end up causing me pain.

So I'm against flip flops and other non-supportive shoes on principle, because I know how miserable it can be when your feet finally rebel and you end up paying for all those years of crap shoes.

I am very sad that I can't even wear a pair of pretty sandals for an hour, say to a party or other event. If I have a dressy function, I have a pair of low heeled black shoes I wear (they aren't particularly attractive, but they look better than athletic shoes). But I will pay for wearing them with foot pain that requires heavy duty pain medication. Oh well, at least I've got one style of shoes that do work, which is better than none!

You need STV shoes. I have STV shoes after my Aunt told me the secret.

You arrive in your killer amazing shoes. Do a turn or to around the room. Make sure everybody has seen your killer amazing shoes. Then dig out your old comfy standbys.

Shoe to venue shoes. My biggest love :lol:

I was diagnosed with fallen arches at a very young age, so I prefer more supportive shoes. I have 4 or 5 pairs of Crocs. Some are the really cute ballet flats, but a couple of pair are the ugly ones I just use to go in and out of the backyard. All are very comfortable.

As for flip-flops, they are really popular where I live. I say if they are comfortable, wear them. I've seen some really cute pedicures showcased in flip-flops here recently, and sometimes I will stop and ask about the nail colors so I can do my own nails the same way. :)

Archived