IGNORED

Christians will play atheists in charity volleyball match

lilwriter85

June 20

By TREY WILLIAMS

The Kansas City Star

Believers and nonbelievers will go head to head this weekend, but not in an Old Testament battlefield throwdown. Instead, it will be a volleyball showdown.

Order Reprints

More News

First day of summer is here, so is the heat

Two charged in theft of Independence pioneer statue

Couple charged with child abuse was investigated in 2009

Wyandotte County commission deadlocks 5-5 between finalists for vacant commission seat

Merriam can’t hush trains

Read more News

Members of Abundant Life Baptist Church in Lee’s Summit will face off against the Kansas City Atheist Coalition on Saturday in an atheists vs. Christians charity volleyball tournament.

Ed Croteau, a Sunday school teacher at Abundant Life Baptist Church, has taken the lead in putting the event together. He said this is an opportunity for groups with opposing views to come together and benefit a common cause.

The tournament begins at 2 p.m. at the church, 414 Persels Road in Lee’s Summit. It is open to the public and costs $5 to get in. All proceeds will go to the Drumm Farm Center for Children.

Croteau said the idea came about through a Facebook group the two groups use for discussion and debate. He said someone posed it as a joke and he ran with it.

“I said, ‘Let’s play some volleyball so I can smash some people in the face who don’t believe like I do,’� Croteau said lightheartedly.

Sarah Hargreaves, president of the Kansas City Atheist Coalition, said they wanted to make it worth everyone’s time, so they decided to do it for kids in foster care through Drumm Farm.

“People think think this is a cute, fun idea,� Hargreaves said. “So far we’ve had no negative feedback.�

Croteau and Hargreaves said the relationship the two groups have is great and the discussions are respectful and knowledgeable.

They hope to turn this tournament into a yearly event.

“This is the first time anyone’s tried something like this,� Croteau said, “and I really don’t know what to expect.�

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/20/43 ... rylink=cpy

“I said, ‘Let’s play some volleyball so I can smash some people in the face who don’t believe like I do,’†Croteau said lightheartedly."

--Haha, Oh, that's so funny! What a swell fellow. I'm glad he's keeping it lighthearted.

Good grief, writing skills in the field of journalism are a thing of the past, aren't they? I can't remember the last time I read an article that didn't make me cringe.

This is actually rather refreshing in the fact the two groups are coming together for a good cause. I have heard a lot of atheists in the news as of late saying charities are turning down their money. When I hear this I get a little stabby and go what the heck do you want to have help or not.

Archived