IGNORED

Judge tells female lawyers what to wear to court

2xx1xy1JD

Yeah, I have to agree w/ Meda and others who, IMO correctly, stated that it is about respect for the courts and your clients. Although I don't have a horse in this race (as I will never be a litigator - knock on wood), I remember being appalled by some of the outfits I saw when I did have to make a court appearance/go to court with an attorney in law school. When you aren't dressed as nicely as your client, or when you are wearing a dress that is much more appropriate for a club than court, you're doing it wrong.

The skirt/pantsuit debate for women is misogynistic and antiquated, certainly, and don't get me started on hose, but judicial proceedings should be respected and dressing appropriately is one way to convey that respect - not JUST for the judge but for opposing counsel as well as your client(s).

I am guessing youth court has different rules. Unfortunately had some business there with my son (charges dropped, thank God - pot possession) and while the defence apologized for not having a jacket (the judge waved it off with a "no problem) I don't even think the Crown had a jacket. I did want to kill my son's lawyer for bringing two interns with him - both wore mini skirst with open jackets showing low-cut blouses. Cleavage is not for the courtroom or any place of business IMO

We also have a judge here who likes to see a wedding ring on a female lawyer. He is uncomfortable with unmarried female lawyers, apparently. I am married, but my single colleague always switches a ring over to her ring finger when she appears in front of him!

That's crazy! [i'd say it's hard to believe, but I've been in front of my share of crazy dinosaur judges.]

I had no idea that we had so many Canadian lawyers on the board.

I don't know WHO'S place it is to say but there have always been at least "unspoken" codes of dress for various occasions. The only reason this judge is speaking up is because not everyone knows that or cares. But I do agree with dress standards, not to the point of "sleeves below elbows" perhaps but yes, a golf shirt in court is probably not your best bet. Either would be an Alley McBeal type invisible skirt. Sometimes it's just the general public who begs for a spanking like this, then everyone gets offended by the obvious.

Archived