IGNORED

Kids do fine with working mothers...

alysee

My mother worked my entire childhood. I thrived. My parents had a non-traditional marriage. Both worked outside the home and shared chores at home. Imagine how surprised I was when I found out this wasn't the norm for most families.

My mother worked during my entire childhood. My sister and I both turned out fine. My husband and I both work full-time too and our children are quite happy and well-adjusted. Fundies need to remember it's the quality of time spent together and not just the quantity.

I truly believe I would have been better off if my mom had worked. I was sheltered & shy, & had a hard time interacting with other kids, because I was always with my mom. I was also exposed to constant fighting over money (or the lack of it) which would have been solved if she simply went to work.

My mother loves to guilt me & my sister - "I sacrificed to stay home with you, I only stayed with your dad because of you." The truth is she did nothing but sleep all day, especially after I started school. She would drive me to school in her nightgown, go home & sleep all day, then pick me up (usuall 10-20 minutes late) still in her nightgown.

Looking back, I'm sure she suffered from depression, which she self-medicated with over-the-counter sinus meds to make her sleep. Once she divorced my dad when I was 20, she went back to college, became the first female CNC machinist in our area, & had a great life.

My mom was an evil working mother! Somehow, she took all of her roles and kicked ass at all of them. She doesn't feel this way and often feels guilty for being gone so much, but it was beneficial to my childhood. Having said that, I am a SAHM. I don't know HOW my mom did it, and give props to working moms everywhere.

I'm sure children would prefer a mother was employed outside the home to one who stayed home all day to beat and starve them half to death in the name of Jesus. :cry:

I'm sure children would prefer a mother was employed outside the home to one who stayed home all day to beat and starve them half to death in the name of Jesus. :cry:

Agree!

I've mentioned before that my maternal grandmother was one of those evil working mothers, but in her case, she was widowed when my grandpa was killed in a car accident when my mom was 2. My mom also worked the entire time my brother and I were growing up, and we both turned out just fine. I also think children benefit from having a working mom instead of a mom who beats them and lets them go hungry because she won't work, and because God needs that 10% of her husband's meager income.

I'm an educator for the the French Juvenile Justice Department.

I work in a prison with young people aged 15/18. Most of them come from large families with SAHM.

They mostly come from underprivileged backgrounds, but still, they didn't became delinquents because of their evil working mothers :twisted:

BTW, my Mom worked all her life, even with 4 children, and all of us are successful adults !

I think it's healthy and beneficial for children to know that they are not the only important thing in their mother's life. Whether that's a career or some other interest that they pursue while being a SAHM. It's important for them to understand that their mother is an individual and doesn't just live to serve them and/or police them.

[list=]

I also think children benefit from having a working mom instead of a mom who beats them and lets them go hungry because she won't work, and because God needs that 10% of her husband's meager income.

Agree

My mother worked a day job, then three nights a week she went to night school, Sundays she worked another job. i grew up just fine, am happily married for decades and have a great work ethic. Michelle's kids have...what? The ability to cook for twenty?

Mine is almost six months old (wow, already?) and she is doing just fine. She has one main sitter and a couple others who I call wheb the main one can't make it. They also enjoy taking her for a night so I can sleep or clean or wjatever. She loves her care takers, but she has not lost sight that I am her mothet. She always has a special smile for me, and at bedtine, she just wants to snuggle with me in the rocker. She is happt, healthy, and well adjusted. She seems to enjoy getting right in the middle of things and has no problems getting along with everyone. Also, dogs make her laugh and my babysitter has a dog. I think she will do just fine.

Archived