IGNORED

How Should a Christian Date- fundie light style

SpeakNow

My fundie light friend posted this lovely blog post written by a single man that dictates how Christians should date.

"In a day when people are marrying later and later and more and more are resorting to online matchmaking, we probably need to be reminded that marriage really is less about compatibility than commitment. After all, there has never been a less compatible relationship than a holy God and his sinful bride, and that’s the mold we’re aiming for in our marriages."

"It simply isn’t that hard to imagine what your children would look like or where you would vacation together or how family holidays would work or what kind of house you might buy. And just like sex, all these things could be really good and safe and beautiful, but in the context of your covenant. Satan wants to subtly help you build marriage and family idols that are too fragile for your not-yet married relationship."

"Dating is a matter of doing your best to discern a person’s ability to fulfill God’s vision and purpose for marriage with you. While you might be the one with the final say, you might not be the best person to assess at every point. Just as in every other area of your Christian life, you need the body of Christ as you think about who to date, how to date, and when to wed."

Although I believe there is some argument about what the difference is between dating, dating with a purpose and courtship....and just hanging out....or not.

After all, there has never been a less compatible relationship than a holy God and his sinful bride, and that’s the mold we’re aiming for in our marriages."

I don't want a mouldy marriage thank you!

But seriously, what a misogynistic vision- a holy man and a sinful woman!! Are you sure this is fundie-lite?

But seriously, what a misogynistic vision- a holy man and a sinful woman!! Are you sure this is fundie-lite?

My friend that posted it is fundie light (I knew her before she started becoming fundie). She wears pants and recently broke up with a boyfriend who she *gasp* had kissed numerous times. The author of the blog might be more fundie than fundie light. I didn't really look into it that carefully.

"In a day when people are marrying later and later and more and more are resorting to online matchmaking, we probably need to be reminded that marriage really is less about compatibility than commitment. After all, there has never been a less compatible relationship than a holy God and his sinful bride, and that’s the mold we’re aiming for in our marriages."

This reminds me of a really old joke

My Husband and I divorced over religious differences. He thought he was God and I didn't.

My fundie light friend posted this lovely blog post written by a single man that dictates how Christians should date.

as someone who was part of a broken engagement (and it was broken BECAUSE we weren't compatible, and he was a controlling asshole), I know that this is NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!

I have an Orthodox Christian friend who insists that ANY two people can be married if they work hard enough at it and have faith.

Of course, she has only been married for a year, to a man that she was best friends with for years before they fell in love.

Wow, I don't think I've ever actually seen one of these fundies just come right out and admit that marriage isn't about compatibility. I've heard that marriage shouldn't be about being in love, i.e. you should work through the hard times and not divorce your spouse just because you no longer feel that 'spark'... but I'd say compatibility is pretty damn important! If you marry without it and you have a happy marriage, guess what? You got lucky, because you turned out to be compatible anyway.

Can you imagine being married to someone you can't stand? Even in college for roommates they attempt to find compatibility...and there is ALWAYS drama there;)

Standards for marriage are so high in some areas (purity, family, etc) and so low in others (compatibility!)

Archived