IGNORED

For the Fashion-Forward Christian

Phillymama

A few look like early 70s hippe and the rest are plain awful! What is it with fundies, frumpy and denim?I've seen a lot of sites for Muslim women that have beautiful clothes. If you want to be covered, you can be covered and still not look hideous.

A few look like early 70s hippe and the rest are plain awful! What is it with fundies, frumpy and denim?I've seen a lot of sites for Muslim women that have beautiful clothes. If you want to be covered, you can be covered and still not look hideous.

In the Muslim Quarter in the Old City in Jerusalem, I was definitely captivated by the stalls of modest women's clothing - they had these absolutely stunning long coats that could go either over pants or a dress. I'm not the tall, willowy type, and most of them looked like they would suit that body shape best - but I wanted one! (Mentally kicking myself now for not trying some on when I had the chance.)

I like many of those outfits, since I tend to be a pretty conservative dresser anyway (not because of conviction-- I'm a fashion idiot and conservative is easier than daring :lol: ), and I'm positively in lust with many of those boots. But the kapp has to go. What denom is this girl? Between the cape dresses, prairie moderns, kapps and the tichels, I'm getting confuzzled.

I actually know this one! I don't usually snark on her because she seems kind of sweet and innocent. My cousins are blog/online buddies with the owner of that polyvore. She's pretty young (about 19/20) and she describes her polyvore as "nondenominational." Since my cousins are allowed to email her, I'm guessing she's some variety of reformed though she might be pentecostal (my aunt is a little easier with female friends than with possible courtship interests.) I know she runs a group on polyvore that is frequented by some Mennonites, so that might explain the kapps.

For Plain dressers (or ones who like the Plain style, like here), beautiful clothes would be missing the point entirely. The whole point is to NOT have beautiful clothes, because they believe that one should look at the person and not the clothes. This is a particular group of fundies, though.

I really like about half those outfits. And I want most of those shoes. I've always liked to wear long swishy skirts though, so there's that.

I also wish headscarves weren't so damn fundy because I think they're beautiful. Not so keen on the kapps but that brown woolen hood thing? I want one so bad, it'd be perfect for the cold winters here. And I like that white scarf thing. I like things that flow and drape, and I find it a little tragic that I can't just wear a shawl all the time :confusion-shrug:

I like things that flow and drape, and I find it a little tragic that I can't just wear a shawl all the time :confusion-shrug:

Just wear them if you like them! Nothing wrong with that!

Just wear them if you like them! Nothing wrong with that!

It's partly a practicality issue. I wear a backpack most days, and I imagine a shawl would get a bit tangled in the straps. Plus, no pockets. I need my pockets :D

For Plain dressers (or ones who like the Plain style, like here), beautiful clothes would be missing the point entirely. The whole point is to NOT have beautiful clothes, because they believe that one should look at the person and not the clothes. This is a particular group of fundies, though.

The tricky thing is, if you're wearing Plain clothes out of conviction, that minimalism is a recurrent fashion trend. At least cyclically, your clothing won't set you apart. Edna Woolman Chase, the first female editor of Vogue, was raised Quaker and talks in her memoir about how much of her aesthetic (and thus, Vogue's aesthetic during the time she was editor) she drew from her Plain-wearing grandparents-- not silhouette, but color palette, general distaste for frippery, and emphasis on buying things you would want to wear for many years.

Giggles.

That one top could be cute without the fugly sleeves.

And that one cardigan looks Old Navy-ish. I like it.

Honestly, I love a lot of these outfits. Especially the boots and the jackets. I love an ankle length skirt too, but haven't worn one in years since nowadays my calves are my best asset. I loved outfits like these in my late teens, early twenties when I had more of a hippie-ish look.

I'm curious to see what some you FJers typical outfits consist of. I'll take a stab and post a photo of my typical outfit which is usually yoga pants and a top if I'm staying home and if I go out something a little more dressy like skinny leg jeans and a cute top with a sweater or zip up over it and if I'm going to the bar or clubs (big fundie no no) a strapless dress or a small skirt.

981384_505996502782948_830843153_o_zpsc954cf57.jpg

318828_495942173788381_361972112_n_zps4817a6a2.jpg

419112_510751348974130_1849929843_n_zps7b6d2d3e.jpg

Some of these outfits I would wear, and some I wouldn't be buried in. But! I think this person actually has pretty good taste in putting outfits together, considering the very, very conservative aesthetic she's working with.

It's a strange denomination salad, but if it's done for a group of people from different denominations, I guess I see it. I like the long skirt and boots look a lot, particularly in winter (brrr Massachusetts winters) but I also like statement jewelry, which I imagine wouldn't fly in her circles.

Cape dresses and denim jumpers are the two least sexy garments imaginable, but if that's what their wearers are going for, more power to them!

Love the dress, fundiefun! I'm about 20 years old than you so I have to dress more like the costumes on that polyvore thingy. :lol: Not a denim frumper though, that's gross.

Love the dress, fundiefun! I'm about 20 years old than you so I have to dress more like the costumes on that polyvore thingy. :lol: Not a denim frumper though, that's gross.

Thanks it's a little edgy from my normal style since the front has spikes, but I surprisingly pulled it off.

Meh, with the exception of the tops and jackets/coats it's too little house on the prairie for me. Although, my mother would love these. She tried to get me dress like that before, but I resisted. It's just not my style.

It's partly a practicality issue. I wear a backpack most days, and I imagine a shawl would get a bit tangled in the straps. Plus, no pockets. I need my pockets :D

Ooooh, I have the answer! There are a lot of new shawls that you can wear as a scarf and then, shaken out, become shawls, for when you're not wearing your backpack! I wear a lot of these kind of shawls, because I lurves me some shawls.

Archived