IGNORED

Fundies and make-up, hair and jewellery

pimpom

Pacific islander men are hot as fuck. They also wear flowers and they are just HOT. They also wear colorful fabric skirts. And they are as manly and hot as they can get.

**I googled "tongan men". "Related searches: hot tongan men" :lol: Take that fundies.

tonga5.jpg

Oh so hot!

I love the fact that the men in the photo are just 'average' Islander men. They haven't picked out the best looking ones of anything. Because they are genetically predisposed to be hot & naturally have bodies that white men spend years & lots of Thai steroids creating.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fortheloveofgodcouldntyoucomeupwithablognameanylongerthanthaticouldbarelyreadit

Hee! Shades of Lydia of Purple (RIP)'s old url -- modestapparelchristianclothinglydiaofpurpledressescustomsewing.com/

These fundies are real wordsmiths, aren't they. :think:

Miffy, yes. The best looking ones regularly perform in hotels to entertain dinner guests, and they are mindblowingly good looking. These people have firm muscles, a good body structure, lovely skin, thick hair, handsome faces, they appear to be incredibly strong. They are true born hunters/fishers, warriors. And those tattoos... Oh. My. God. Point is, almost without objectifying these folks, that they are manlier with feathers in their hair and skirts around their hips than any patriarchal toolbag will ever be.

Last week I had an encounter of the fundie kind in the Netherlands, a family on the street, with (so it seemed) only two children (!!). Anyway, what struck me again is how OLD the wife looked. But then I realised she actually wasn't, she was about the same age as her husband. And she didn't look old because of the strain of a gazillion kids etc. (no matter how fundie they are, they're Dutch first, so pragmatic through and through), but because in Holland, true fundy women are not allowed to wear make up, dye their hair, or wear jewellery apart from their wedding ring. The reason being that you mustn't adorn yourself, for that is vanity bla bla bla calvinism sin sin sin etc.

And this got me thinking. When I think of US fundies clothes I know it's all about drab & dowdy & frumpers, but is make-up, cutting/dying your hair and jewellery also forbidden? I even got the impression that in some Southern churches make-up etc. is actively encouraged. Plz enlighten me?

It actually varies widely from family to family. I was raised in a fundamentalist home, and I was allowed to wear pants (but no shorts), T-shirts (but no tank tops or V-necks), and make-up (once I turned 13). I was allowed to wear necklaces and other jewelry from a young age (but not allowed to piece ears until 13, and was only allowed one set of piercings, and only on the ears). We had TV (but there were strict limits on what I could watch), computer with internet (which had filters, of course), and was allowed to listen to music other than traditional gospel (but it still had to be "Christian" music, and even then, some genres were off-limits). However, I knew several families, some in the same church, some in different ones, with much stricter rules. Women were only allowed to wear skirts/dresses, no make-up, no jewelry aside from wedding ring, no piercings, no TV, no computer/internet, only traditional gospel music, etc. So I guess all in all, I didn't have it as bad as some people. And I wouldn't complain if it weren't for my parents having brainwashed me my whole life, and the fact that they still try to control every aspect of me/my life, even though I am an adult with my own child. (I've been banned from our usual weekly lunch now, because I got my daughter's name tattoo'd on my arm. *Gasp* OMG, I'm evil now!)

Also, not all fundies do have an excessive amount of children. My parents only have two (probably partly due to my mom's infertility issues). But I know several other small/average sized fundie families. Although I also know several that breed like rabbits, lol. Growing up I was good friends with a kid who had 13 siblings.

The ear piercing thing is weird - I wasn't allowed to get mine done until I was 9 but my parents aren't even religious or conservative at all. I think it's just seen as trashy if on little girls here, or at least by my parents.

The fundies I went to school with (Plymouth Brethren) were not allowed to cut their hair but they were allowed to burn the ends. I have never really understood the reasoning behind this and never heard of another religious group that do this. I remember all the girls having very long and very ragged hair. The Plymouth Brethren where I live now keep their hair long but they are allowed to cut it. I am not sure if this is because of a change in church policy or just because it is a different community.

Even in the early frumper shots Michelle is wearing heavy eighties style makeup to go with her big hair, so I think they would always have done makeup - JimBob likes "his" womenfolk to pretty themselves up - but without TLC exposure and money and the advice of professional make up artists on the Today Show etc they would have even less skill than they do and probably stick with Michelle's overdone 80s Walmart makeup look instead of their current heavily applied products in modern colours.

An image permanently burned into my brain is my first encounter with the Duggars in 14k&pa: Michelle heavily pregnant, red frumper,, enormous red white collar, huge hair, bright red lipstick and a pink streak on either cheek. My first thought was that she had never used makeup before and had put some on because she thought it was necessary for television. (I have learnt a lot since then.)

The ear piercing thing is weird - I wasn't allowed to get mine done until I was 9 but my parents aren't even religious or conservative at all. I think it's just seen as trashy if on little girls here, or at least by my parents.

I didn't want my daughter to get her ears pierced til she was old enough to be careful of them when playing, climbing trees etc. I was thinking about eight, but a friend of mine took her off and got them done when she was six without telling me. I was scared of her tearing her earlobe.

I didn't want my daughter to get her ears pierced til she was old enough to be careful of them when playing, climbing trees etc. I was thinking about eight, but a friend of mine took her off and got them done when she was six without telling me. I was scared of her tearing her earlobe.

The class/status aspect of earpiercing is very interesting. Here in the Netherlands it's seen as very chav-y to have young children with pierced ears. Average is 8-10 yo, very posh is not until ín their late late teens (although that might have been more a thing 40 years ago). However, in a country like Spain, it's completley different. A Spanish friend and I were sitting in a cafe in the UK, and started cooing over a little baby. Then Spanishfriend said, "so weird how I can't see whether it's a boy or a girl here." I gave her a puzzled look, and she explained to me that in Spain it's really easy to see, as baby girls routinely get their ears pierced a few weeks after birth, which has nothing to do with class whatsoever, it's across the board. Funnily enough it was this conversation that finally led me to have my ears pierced two years later, at the vaguely ridiculous age of 31 :geek:

Jewellery is fine, although some groups do say that it should be "tasteful".

Here's a photo of one of my favorite kosher cookbook authors, complete with jewellery and make-up (and looking way too good after 5 kids):

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/10 ... 4230_n.jpg

Ok - question from a particularly dense mind: is she wearing a wig in that photo? It looks very un-wiggy.

Second q: would observant Judaism require a woman to only be photographed in a covering or wig?

TIA for enlightening me!

Also one sobering thought about Tongan/Samoan/etc body types -- when they put on weight, they put on MAJOR weight! No snark, just a reminder that there's a downside to every genetic gift. ;)

Interesting about piercings. I'm from Russia, and girls get their ears pierced very early. I got mine done at around 4, and I remember that that was the time that all the girls in the neighborhood started getting theirs done. (Russians are rather obsessed with gender differentiation, which I guess may have something to do with it.) I know in some Latin cultures, baby girls get their ears pierced a few days after birth.

In Orthodox Jewish circles, most groups allow makeup, although some will say that it shouldn't be overly showy. Styles of hair-covering vary, from stunning wigs to very plain scarves covering everything. Most (with the exception of Toldos Aharon) don't advocate "plain" dressing.

One of my friends is Orthodox and I went to Shabbat services with her in college. She told me a little bit about their beliefs beforehand, including the headcovering thing. We hung out with the rabbi and his wife after the service, and as we were walking home, I was like, "I thought Orthodox women wore wigs. What's up with D showing her real hair?" Um, turns out she just wears a SUPER expensive sheitl that's real hair and looks like it. I felt like an idiot.

Nit pick: Is jewellery an alternative spelling of jewelry?

I HATE pierced ears on babies. I think it's something that should be done later, when the child can decide if he/she wants to have bits of metal embedded in her/his ears. Unrelated note: I have my ears pierced but rarely remember to wear jewelry at all. It's just not something I got into the habit of doing/purchasing. I am not a fundie.

Nit pick: Is jewellery an alternative spelling of jewelry?

I HATE pierced ears on babies. I think it's something that should be done later, when the child can decide if he/she wants to have bits of metal embedded in her/his ears. Unrelated note: I have my ears pierced but rarely remember to wear jewelry at all. It's just not something I got into the habit of doing/purchasing. I am not a fundie.

"Jewellery" is just the British spelling of "jewelry."

And I'm yet another lonely voice in the wilderness, HATING pierced ears on babies and young children. When I let my daughter get hers pierced at age 12, she was literally the last girl in her class to have it done.

Me too. If I had a daughter, I would wait until she asked to have her ears pierced. And I would tell her it really hurts. Then if she still wanted pierced ears I'd let her do it. (I got my ears pierced when I was 5 at my request).

There is a blogger who belongs to the conservative holiness movement. She has written several posts on jewelry -specifically wedding rings- which they don't wear. I do remember a commenter asking why it was ok to braid their hair but not wear jewelry. 1 Timothy 2:9 – “In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array†is the bible verse usually cited. The blog is fergyfamforum.blogspot.com/. We have discussed them before briefly, that is how I found the blog.

I also support no ear piercing until the kid asks for it. When I was a baby, my parents moved to Mexico and kept getting asked when my ears would be pierced. My father refused because he was worried about infection and I appreciate that since my ears are very allergic and I can't wear most earrings.

The ear-piercing thing is very cultural. My mum wouldn't let any of us have it done until we did it ourselves in college as she felt it was very "common" (she was from a solidly working class upbringing too!). I don't like earrings on babies (I've seen a few ripped ear lobes in my time) and I'm making my daughters wait till they are eight but my in-laws kids were all pierced as babies. My MIL calls just before Christmas each year to ask if my daughters' ears are pierced. She knows I'm waiting till they're eight but she likes to remind me how strange I am!

In my fundie upbringing it was no jewelry except a watch and a simple chain with a cross if desired; No jeans but other modest pants were fine (far north ranch upbringing made pants essential); no makeup but bronzers were acceptable; no dyed hair but perms were okay; shorts on a hot day were okay and so were regular bathing suits but no bikinis.

Even in our church there were variations on the rules for modest dress. Lots of "look at the hussy in all the make-up" kinds of talking behind the backs.

At least we weren't as bad as the previous generation in the church. To them an exposed neck or ankle was scandalous and this wasn't Victorian era, this was the 60s - 70s.

I wasn't allowed to have my ears pierced, many of my peers ended having it done in their late teens/early adulthood as a form of rebellion, but mine still remain unpierced even though I personally don't have a problem with piercings. Part of me likes being the minority when it comes to being unpierced.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is about makeup. Why should women have to paint their face to be acceptable but not men? Why are normal 40yr old women ugly without makeup but 40 yr old men are not?

This. Although the answer is that society-at-large values men for something more than their looks, whereas women are supposed to be adornment.

This. Although the answer is that society-at-large values men for something more than their looks, whereas women are supposed to be adornment.

Which of course is contrary to how the rest of the animal kingdom does it.

And someone better tell these guys that it's the womenz who are supposed to wear the make-upz. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/humanplanet ... ls/gerewol (not breaking since it's news channel, this ok?)

bewiseandliveayounggirlsguidetograce.blogspot.com/2013/03/girls-are-you-wearing-un-feminine-makeup.html

This is...weird.

I wonder if the author is aware that men who are actors (whether or not they are homosexual) wear make-up on stage and screen.

I get what she was saying that a man wearing nude-colored makeup would still look like a man...but so would a woman still look like a woman! I mean, I already look like a woman when I am not wearing make-up, why would neutral/nude makeup change anything?

Unless she thinks women need makeup in order to look like women. In which case what she believes to be "femininity" isn't very inherent, is it?

When I first took our daughter to day care, at about 9 months old, most of the teachers all oohed and aahed over how beautiful she was (she was the only Asian in the school). But one teacher in particular, an African-American, used to quiz me regularly on when I was going to get her ears pierced. I would bring L. in in a cute outfit and the teacher would remark on how cute she was--and then say something like "She would be just GORGEOUS if only she had her ears pierced; that's all she's missing." It used to really bother me that this teacher wouldn't see past the lack of metal studs in my kid's ears; but I guess that is the culture she was brought up in. Well, it didn't influence me in the least, though. Like others here, I waited till my daughter asked, and then I still put her off for a couple of years, till she was about 9. She had a terrible time with them and had to let them close up and get them repierced later. Can't imagine dealing with that with an infant.

darareaksmey--How and where did you have her repiercing done? I had to let mine close years ago and have been considering repiercing them. I've had conflicting advice about it.

The fundies I went to school with (Plymouth Brethren) were not allowed to cut their hair but they were allowed to burn the ends. I have never really understood the reasoning behind this and never heard of another religious group that do this. I remember all the girls having very long and very ragged hair. The Plymouth Brethren where I live now keep their hair long but they are allowed to cut it. I am not sure if this is because of a change in church policy or just because it is a different community.

Oh, yeah, and then there was that. I was not allowed to cut or even trim my hair. Nor burn the ends. That was a common belief among all the families in that church.

No offense, but :wtf: Really, your entire hair could catch fire. It's absolutely dangerous. And smelly. Yikes. We used to burn horse hair in chemistry class - so that the teacher would show us that it's smelly... no comment... - and first it kind of curled up than it would spread like wildfire! I can't imagine how could burning hair result in something like an evenly cut hair.

Archived