IGNORED

Sexism and cultural appropriation -- Disney

thoughtful

If reports like this one are true, Disney managed a "twofer" of offensiveness, then backed off of both.

A report on Deadline.com cites anonymous Disney sources that a proposed redesign of Brave‘s Princess Merida does not match a widely publicized image that has drawn a firestorm of controversy, including sharply critical comments from Brave co-director Brenda Chapman (who was replaced as director late in the development process and is currently working for DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc).

Chapman described the redesign as “a blatantly sexist marketing move†that sent the wrong messages with its “sexy ‘come hither’ look and the skinny aspect of the new version,†in contrast to the way, “Merida was created to break that mold — to give young girls a better, stronger role model, a more attainable role model, something of substance, not just a pretty face that waits around for romance.â€

The Deadline.com report adds that Disney has backed away from a trademark application for “Dia de los Muertos,†the November Mexican holiday which is the inspiration for an upcoming Pixar movie. The trademark application drew strong criticism on social media platforms

Yes, I did get my news from The Daily Show tonight, why do you ask? :lol:

http://www.toonzone.net/2013/05/disney- ... ZWhYspAFco

While Disney can have some good moments, there are so many others that make me irate. My oldest son is starting to be interested in the old "classic" movies..some of those are just horrible! "Why is that old man trying to get those kids, mommy?" "Where's Bambi's mommy?" "Why does the mean lady want those puppies?" And so on. But the moments that irk me are little ones...on their little pirate show, character Jake always interrupts character Izzy to say " I'll fix" because she's some useless girl. The Merida makeover does not surprise me one bit, I am just surprised she even made it to the screen in her original state.

I struggle so much with Disney and how to approach it. I appreciate that they make kids' movies without constant obnoxious rude humor or the supposedly good characters being really snotty. I'm not the type to be offended by it myself, but I have a kid who is in that preschooler stage where they repeat everything and I'd rather avoid the rude humor or insulting comments until he's old enough to understand what shouldn't be repeated. So I appreciate that Disney/Pixar makes movies like Wall-E or Finding Nemo that really have nothing objectionable, but are also not mind-numbingly boring for mom and dad. That said, there are so many less than ideal things in the way their movies approach gender and race, and I worry about my son internalizing ideas without ever questioning them. I want to raise a son who respects women and sees them as his equals, and to that end I want to present him with strong role models of both genders. But sometimes, I also just want to chill with a kid friendly movie. Shame there's not one company that can do both, as far as I can tell.

I struggle so much with Disney and how to approach it. I appreciate that they make kids' movies without constant obnoxious rude humor or the supposedly good characters being really snotty. I'm not the type to be offended by it myself, but I have a kid who is in that preschooler stage where they repeat everything and I'd rather avoid the rude humor or insulting comments until he's old enough to understand what shouldn't be repeated. So I appreciate that Disney/Pixar makes movies like Wall-E or Finding Nemo that really have nothing objectionable, but are also not mind-numbingly boring for mom and dad. That said, there are so many less than ideal things in the way their movies approach gender and race, and I worry about my son internalizing ideas without ever questioning them. I want to raise a son who respects women and sees them as his equals, and to that end I want to present him with strong role models of both genders. But sometimes, I also just want to chill with a kid friendly movie. Shame there's not one company that can do both, as far as I can tell.

We love the Curious George movie.

We love the Curious George movie.

Thanks - we'll check it out on netflix! My husband has a business trip coming up, so I need something for a movie night just for me and kiddo. :)

I do think that Disney has produced some pretty powerful work and their movies are certainly entertaining and worth looking at from a cinematic perspective. They will be part of my future family's viewing, no question. But social commentary? You'd be better off with many, many other children's films. Hence why I hope my kids will view them with appropriate context in some way.

Doc McStuffins and her mom are pretty good role models for little girls. But why is her entire doctors bag pink and sparkly???

Here's the Daily Show clip -- it wasn't up yet when I posted last night:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-m ... d-the-p-r-

I wish he'd done more on the Dia de los Muertos stuff, actually. That strikes me as much more of a "WTF were they thinking?" item.

The Merida stuff seems right in character for Disney. Glad they got called on it, though.

I've been wondering about this firestorm of controversy since it began--were they planning on using the image of Merida on merchandise (the redesigned one) or just promotionally? Because ALL of the princesses got a similar redesign for promotional purposes. Not that I agreed with that (actually I was pretty disgusted by it when I purchased a Princess shopping bag and realised that the princesses had all been redesigned for the purposes of the bag) but I'm wondering why Merida's redesign got special attention over the redesigns of the other princesses--if it was because they were planning on using it on merchandise or what. Because despite the redesign on the promotional items (like shopping bag, etc) all of the character stuff (with the exception of Cinderella) looks the same.

I'd be really pleased if this particular controversy meant they un-redesigned ALL the princesses.

I've been wondering about this firestorm of controversy since it began--were they planning on using the image of Merida on merchandise (the redesigned one) or just promotionally? Because ALL of the princesses got a similar redesign for promotional purposes. Not that I agreed with that (actually I was pretty disgusted by it when I purchased a Princess shopping bag and realised that the princesses had all been redesigned for the purposes of the bag) but I'm wondering why Merida's redesign got special attention over the redesigns of the other princesses--if it was because they were planning on using it on merchandise or what. Because despite the redesign on the promotional items (like shopping bag, etc) all of the character stuff (with the exception of Cinderella) looks the same.

I'd be really pleased if this particular controversy meant they un-redesigned ALL the princesses.

I think the big deal is that Merida is like the anti-princess. She doesn't want to be rescued. She wants to do the rescuing. Plus, the whole movie is how she doesn't want to be a typical princess. She hated wearing princess-y clothes and doing princess-y things. She'd rather be out riding her horse and practicing her archery. That's the reason I love her so much more than the others. The redesign makes her into something that she isn't.

Is there anything Disney won't try to trademark?

I LOVE (most) Disney movies, but I'm so glad my husband & I don't want kids, because some of them would be HELL to explain or to try to explain away. The Little Mermaid for example - why does Ariel have to be so NEEDY?! I LOVE Merida the way she is in Brave - "curvy", loud, and confident. Why'd they have to try to sex her up?!

I personally hate the redesigns on all of the other princesses as well (have you SEEN Pocahontas? They couldn't have made her look LESS like herself if they tried! Also - where'd the gold for her necklace come from? Her tribe [is that the right word?] didn't have any gold!).

I think the big deal is that Merida is like the anti-princess. She doesn't want to be rescued. She wants to do the rescuing. Plus, the whole movie is how she doesn't want to be a typical princess. She hated wearing princess-y clothes and doing princess-y things. She'd rather be out riding her horse and practicing her archery. That's the reason I love her so much more than the others. The redesign makes her into something that she isn't.

No, I get why it's a big deal, I was just wondering if people realized that this is something that happened to ALL the princesses (and therefore would happen to Merida since she's being inducted into the official princesses) or if it was because they weren't going to use the "official" image of Merida on merchandise anymore (which wouldn't make sense for the reasons you mentioned). It's still a big deal one way or the other, but I think it's a big deal that ALL the princesses got the makeover, not just Merida. There was no need to "cutesy up" any of them, IMO.

Isn't Mulan the same though? Mulan was my favorite disney heroine when I was a kid. And she's not even a princess, dunno why Disney had to make her one.

Hayao Miyazaki has some great kids films. My Neignbor Totoro is probably in your son's age range, and is adorable.

The best (and most ethical) move Disney ever made was when they marketed and released Hayoa Miyazaki's Studio Ghilbi films in the USA. You want to see strong heroines? Check out "Spirited Away", "Howls Moving Castle" and "Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind" Those girls are not only tough and thoughtful, but so..... full of life. I saw "My Neighbor Totoro" in 1997 and have been sucked into his stuff ever since. The boys also act like gentlemen. Villians are given transparency so you feel actual empathy for them.

I guess I can't explain it. You either love or hate his films.

Also, when his films contain romance it is not portrayed as a noble, perfect ending. They are real and messy and complex. There is no riding into the sunset on a white horse. The most recent release "From up on Poppy hill" showed a boy and a girl who were unsure if the had the same father. It sounds campy, but it is set in postwar Japan and has a backstory of a club of intellectuals saving their clubhouse. The art alone is lovely.

^^ Miyazaki. That's what my children watch and enjoy.

I deeply dislike Disney and their not-subtle messages about families and women in particular. The Disney formula is often "kill off the mother, put the kid in a struggle for survival and identity, then have the Knight/Prince in Shining Armor rescue her, happily ever after...." Over and over and over. It's not realistic, it's not respectful, and it's not right.

Carl Hiaasen, a Florida-based novelist and columnist, wrote a very eye-opening book about the whole Disney thing. It crystallized my discomfort and helped me see exactly what wasn't sitting right with me. It's called Team Rodent, and it's an exposé on the company he's watched engulf his home state. Not pretty stuff.

Miyazaki, on the other hand: strong young women, good communities, work ethic, and the animation will literally take your breath away-- it's like watching a moving painting at times. That's what I want my children to remember when they grow up.

Archived