IGNORED

Young Homemakers

fundiefun

http://younghomemakers.blogspotdotcom/

I don't know if this blog has been discussed but these two sisters have been blogging since 2008 and have been doing the stay at home daughter thing. I believe the eldest Rachel is on her way to pushing 30 and they have blogged about courtship, but so far have had no prospects. It's sad that they pride themselves on being "a bread baking, laundry folding, bathroom scrubbing, outfit sewing, bible believing homemaker in training". I can't imagine years going by and having no accomplishments outside of housework and pushing close to 30.

I agree. That blog was a little depressing. On the one hand, it sounds like at least one of them works with an online journal, so at least she has that as a creative (albeit fundie) outlet. Even so, it's still pretty depressing.

And they're big Pollyanna fans? I didn't realize that had a fandom!

I started to read their blog but got distracted by the modest clothing links. As I looked through the selections I had an overwhelming desire to visit "Lydia of Purple" for old times sake, and BOOM!--wasted the baby's entire nap on the internet instead of cleaning like a good young homemaker.

I feel badly for them- their Christmas posts were especially depressing. I can't help but think how much better off their family would be if they both got jobs and stopped spending their days reading children's books. I would think they could babysit if nothing else. Even a fast food job at minimum wage would make a big difference to their family. They're like a bummer version of Rebecca Eleventy!!!1!!!!!1

Depressiing? Nowhere near it. I would go stark raving mad doing the SAHD thing. :pull-hair:

My PARENTS would go stark raving mad If my sister or me would do that SAHD thing. And they´re even old-school catholic! :D

I really don't understand why it takes years and years to master housework. These girls (and they will always be considered "girls") wash the same cotton-polyester clothing week after week. Once they understand how the washer and dryer work, they can move on. They're cooking the same meals over and over again. It's not like they're shopping at Penzey's Spices because they're trying Thai food this week. There's not much skill required to scrub a bathtub or push around a vacuum cleaner. Yet these girls are so grateful for the years spent under the tutelage of their mothers. Am I missing something?

So is this the first real generation of SAHDs? Because if it is, it looks like it's turning out to be an epic fail. Far too many of them remain unmarried way past what fundies would consider to be marriageable age, which in turn means they're also past their arrow-producing, er...childbearing prime. What does a fundie spinster do when it's all passed her by? There are no more siblings to raise, no more home schooling. Most don't have jobs, don't volunteer, don't do much of anything except clean and read the bible. I guess they just become caretakers for the parents now and hope there's someone left to care for THEM. It just doesn't seem like the strict fundie life will be sustainable for more than a generation.

Someone needs to tell the "author's" that simple "plural's" don't require "apostrophe's". :pull-hair:

I really don't understand why it takes years and years to master housework. These girls (and they will always be considered "girls") wash the same cotton-polyester clothing week after week. Once they understand how the washer and dryer work, they can move on. They're cooking the same meals over and over again. It's not like they're shopping at Penzey's Spices because they're trying Thai food this week. There's not much skill required to scrub a bathtub or push around a vacuum cleaner. Yet these girls are so grateful for the years spent under the tutelage of their mothers. Am I missing something?

Exactly. Unless you're always experimenting with new cuisine, which definitely has a learning curve, you can master homemaking in under 3 months. I mean, how long does it take to learn how to cook tater tot casserole, scrub a pan, throw clothes in the washer and push a vacuum cleaner around?

It would take about six months of training and a year or two of experience to become an expert* at running a household. I wouldn't boast about not having caught on after twelve years.

*I'm thinking full home ec here, budgeting, managing your pantry, stain cleaning, sewing, mending, gardening, car maintenance, woodwork, etc.

It would take about six months of training and a year or two of experience to become an expert* at running a household. I wouldn't boast about not having caught on after twelve years.

*I'm thinking full home ec here, budgeting, managing your pantry, stain cleaning, sewing, mending, gardening, car maintenance, woodwork, etc.

Car maintenance is for the menfolk!

Car maintenance is for the menfolk!

As is the woodworking. Budgeting is right out because women can't think or make decisions. :penguin-no:

At least they sew better than Lydia.

Well damn, they're not that homely. Couldn't dad arrange some kind of chaperoned and parental-approved courtship thing with the lanky, greasy kid who dusts the pipe organ at church? The older one especially looks like she'd make some lucky Christian fellow make a fine, strong, sturdy, wide-hipped helpmeet. I bet her teeth are in excellent condition.

Couldn't dad arrange some kind of chaperoned and parental-approved courtship thing with the lanky, greasy kid who dusts the pipe organ at church?

I can totally picture that kid. :lol:

But seriously, any guy can get married in fundie-dom. (I can think of two or three hideously ugly fundie guys who not only are married, but have attractive wives.) It should not be THIS DIFFICULT for fundies to pair up, considering they say it's their life's mission.

I can totally picture that kid. :lol:

But seriously, any guy can get married in fundie-dom. (I can think of two or three hideously ugly fundie guys who not only are married, but have attractive wives.) It should not be THIS DIFFICULT for fundies to pair up, considering they say it's their life's mission.

And considering how many children all the first generation parents have.

This exactly.

Also, younghomemakers.blogspot.jp/ for mobile device users :)

Apparently it was none other than Sarah Maxwell who influenced them to start being skirts-only. :( They blog about meeting her at the Christian Homeschool Association of Pennsylvania conference in 2011, and had seen the Maxwells at one of their conferences a few years before: younghomemakers.blogspot.co.uk/2011_05_01_archive.html

Oh gosh what a depressing read. Especially the one post about valentine's day decorations they made for their parents. Somehow makes me want to hug these girls.

What an incredibly boring, stifling life these girls live. And, yes, they are girls even if they're near 30. Man, was that ever a depressing read!

Why do fundies talk about intergenerational friendships as though they invented the idea? I guess they don't understand that if you are out in the world working or going to school you will necessarily meet up with people older and younger than you and friendships/mentoring will happen! This is a big issue with the Duggars who use it as one of their reasons for homeschooling (our kids get to interact with kids of all ages; kids in teh evil public schools only interact with people their own age). At my kids' school, the upper school kids come and read to the nursery kids and become their "buddy" for school special events. The middle school kids do the same thing for the K-2 kids. When we go in in the morning my 3 year old will shout "There's my friend" to her senior buddy. See fundies, this isn't a concept you invented nor is its application limited to your ginormous families.

As is the woodworking. Budgeting is right out because women can't think or make decisions. :penguin-no:

Until their father dies. Then who'll take the garbage out for the Misses Jones?

Oh gosh what a depressing read. Especially the one post about valentine's day decorations they made for their parents. Somehow makes me want to hug these girls.

The fact that they are this old and call themselves "girls" bothers me

See, this is why international travel is just SO FREAKING IMPORTANT. Or at least crack a National Geographic.

Depressing indeed. Paper valentines day decorations. Oy.

Squandering your most fertile years makes fundy baby Jesus cry, ladies (er, I mean "girls"). Think of all those unfertilized eggs that could have grown into righteous arrows! Tsk, tsk! : )

Archived