IGNORED

Sports and religion

2xx1xy1JD

I found an interesting article discussing whether sports is a religion, or if religion is a sport:

http://hjrabbi.wordpress.com/2013/05/06 ... n-a-sport/

I think that both statements can be true.

The faith of a Toronto Maple Leafs fan that the Stanley Cup will be won again seems, IMHO, to parallel the faith in the coming of the Messiah, both in plausibility and timeline.

I liked his reference to Halls of Frame as shrines or temples. When I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame, that was exactly what I thought. In a fairly secular city, there is reverence in that place. They have a movie about the 1972 Canada-USSR hockey series, which honestly comes across as some sort of fundie testimony about the power of faith.

OTOH, I also agree that in some cases, religion serves as a "team jersey" - a way of identifying who is on your team, and who you enemy is. You have an instant bond with your team members, even if you have never met them before. You have instant animosity toward your opponent, even if you have never met them. If the conflict gets heated, you can even get rioting and violence. [This is part of the reason that I don't naively believe that an end to religion would mean world peace. People would just identify their "team" on a different basis, and go on killing each other.]

Just in time :-) I was explaining the intricacies of Jewish dress to non-Jewish friends. I talked about the difference between a small crochet Kippa, a larger black Kippa, a fedora and a Shtreimel - which usually comes with the full-on Haredi outfit.

Then they asked my where on the spectrum would I put a Kippa with a large Flames logo.

LOL. Pretty sure my kid has one with the Leafs, poor deluded boy.

I guess it says that someone bought the kippa instead of having a girl crochet it for them. It also says that they are worldly enough to care about sports, and have a bit of a sense of humor. They may have bought it as a tourist, and may be wearing it for the novelty or as a Flames fan, and not just for religious reasons. I think that my sister bought some for my BIL, even though he's not religious, because they are cute.

The small crocheted vs. large black point is a good illustration of the "team jersey" approach, though. It has absolutely nothing to do with Jewish law, and is solely about identifying with a specific group in an identifiable way. See white shirt vs. blue shirt.

I remember reading a study that says sports and religion active the same bits in the brain, when I'm not on my phone I'll try to dig it up.

I remember reading a study that says sports and religion active the same bits in the brain, when I'm not on my phone I'll try to dig it up.

the need to concur and defeat the infidels.

I found an interesting article discussing whether sports is a religion, or if religion is a sport:

http://hjrabbi.wordpress.com/2013/05/06 ... n-a-sport/

I think that both statements can be true.

The faith of a Toronto Maple Leafs fan that the Stanley Cup will be won again seems, IMHO, to parallel the faith in the coming of the Messiah, both in plausibility and timeline.

I liked his reference to Halls of Frame as shrines or temples. When I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame, that was exactly what I thought. In a fairly secular city, there is reverence in that place. They have a movie about the 1972 Canada-USSR hockey series, which honestly comes across as some sort of fundie testimony about the power of faith.

OTOH, I also agree that in some cases, religion serves as a "team jersey" - a way of identifying who is on your team, and who you enemy is. You have an instant bond with your team members, even if you have never met them before. You have instant animosity toward your opponent, even if you have never met them. If the conflict gets heated, you can even get rioting and violence. [This is part of the reason that I don't naively believe that an end to religion would mean world peace. People would

just identify their "team" on a different basis, and go on killing each other.]

Blasphemy...the Blackhawks are getting the Cup. :D

I certainly do see the similarities, which is probably why I have sat through so many sermons about football or baseball or basketball. It's also interesting to think of post victory rioting in some cities in light of biblical armies celebrating a finished conquest.

"Jesus saves, but he's no Luongo!"

- seen all over Vancouver in the spring of 2011.

"Jesus saves, but he's no Luongo!"

- seen all over Vancouver in the spring of 2011.

Well, they're not saying that this year...or last year either.

Goalie graveyard-that's Vancouver.

I've seen this on a church sign in Edmonton a few years ago:

"God said: Pray for your enemies.

Go Flames Go!"

The Cubs haven't won a World Series since before the Ottoman Empire dissolved. PERSECUTION!!1!1

Interesting. I have next to no interest in sports and, while I love learning about religion, am very happy to remain areligious. I wonder if those parts of my brain are just into other things...

I grew up in Ohio. One of the priests who taught at my high school graduated from Ohio State University before he entered the seminary. When I told him I had been accepted at and would be attending the University of Michigan, he looked me in the eye for a good long time before he uttered just one word to me: Judas.

And he wasn't smiling when he said it.

The Cubs haven't won a World Series since before the Ottoman Empire dissolved. PERSECUTION!!1!1

Interesting. I have next to no interest in sports and, while I love learning about religion, am very happy to remain areligious. I wonder if those parts of my brain are just into other things...

My mom has retired from the ministry, but back when she was a preacher, she had a set of stoles made by my grandma. (Stoles are like long scarves that officiants in liturgical churches wear to mark the seasons of the church year.) The season of Ordinary Time, between Pentecost and Advent, overlaps with baseball season. My grandma, who knew that her daughter-in-law is a big Cubs fan, sewed a Cubs patch on the underside of my mom's stole for Ordinary Time. Mom felt very loved.

At any rate, Mom's typical sports analogy for faith is to talk about it as something akin to Charlie Brown believing that this time, Lucy will not pull the football away-- that people are indeed capable of significantly changing for the better, even though they mostly don't.

Archived