IGNORED

Sweet Journey

kpmom

As an Amazon Prime member, I've been able to borrow (for free) the Maxwell books that have been made into e-books.

I've borrowed Summer With the Moodys, Preparing Sons, and Sweet Journey.

IMO, the worst of these has been Sweet Journey. They really have a nerve charging for this book.

Teri spends the first four chapters talking about being "in the word" (aka, reading your bible) everyday. Four chapters. Seriously.

Really, are her readers so dense that they need someone to go over with them the best time of day (an entire chapter) for being "in the word"? Mornings are preferred, of course, but Teri's willing to let them move it to afternoon if they've been up with babies and young children all night. How sweet of her.

Each chapter is about 50% bible verses. She'll write one or two sentences, then throw in a verse. Of course these verses supposedly back up what Teri is writing about.

Then at the end of each (very short) chapter there are very superficial questions that the readers can use on their own or for a bible study.

The questions are like, "Why is it important to be in the word everyday?", "What does the above verse tell you about why it is important to be in the word everyday".

No deep questions whatsoever.

The book was such a snooze fest I just skimmed it.

I'm hoping no woman who really couldn't afford the $10 for this book was duped into buying it. There is absolutely nothing in it that you can't find on their web site, or a thousand other web sites that we talk about here.

Plus, she really pours on the guilt about women, who are probably overwhelmed with kids, babies, homeschooling, to find time to read their bible, pray, start a prayer journal, write in the prayer journal, blah, blah, blah, every day.

She has a smug, if I could do it you can do it attitude. In fact I think she actually says, if I could do it you can do it, at one point in the book. She fails to mention she had a mother's helper (Sarah) when the reversals were small. Many of her readers don't have an 8 year age difference in their children.

Has any one else read this book?

I'm sorry, I havent as i am not anAmazon Prime member but I do believe I will become one, just to be able to "steal" the info that Stevovah and Terified thus far have been able to keep out of free lending libraries!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the dastardly duo tell their faithful followers who are considering loaning out their Maxwell books are basically stealing from the Maxwells, and that their books will never be in libraries because people shouldn't read what they haven't paid to read?

You know who else demands you buy their books and courses to learn "the truth?" Scientology. How about that, H. Ron Maxwell?!

I'm sorry, I havent as i am not anAmazon Prime member but I do believe I will become one, just to be able to "steal" the info that Stevovah and Terified thus far have been able to keep out of free lending libraries!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the dastardly duo tell their faithful followers who are considering loaning out their Maxwell books are basically stealing from the Maxwells, and that their books will never be in libraries because people shouldn't read what they haven't paid to read?

You know who else demands you buy their books and courses to learn "the truth?" Scientology. How about that, H. Ron Maxwell?!

I pay for my library books. It's called Council Tax ;)

It does strike me as rather un-Christian to criticise people lending books. If you really want to share "important information" with others you should be glad that those who can't afford it have access to it. It's obviously not about the ministry for the Maxwells, it's about the money.

I've got it on my Amazon Prime list too. All of my Maxwell books were either bought used (dirt cheap) or borrowed through Amazon. Yeah, their books are pretty much the same. Pray, guilt, pray, pray, family bible time, personal bible time, guilt, walk with Jesus, guilt, guilt, guilt, bible time, bible time, pray, pray, pray, more guilt, shelter, shelter, shelter. I'm sure I won't be disappointed this time around.

Full disclosure: I have been dealing with depression since childhood. I am also a UU who self-identifies as Christian--that is, my moral and ethical attitudes are strongly influenced by the teachings of Jesus. I believe in God as the divine force that engendered all that exists--as something that goes far beyond male, female, or human--but am not sold on the idea of Jesus's divinity, no matter how hard I've tried.

Poor Terified (thanks, MamaJ!) is stuck struggling with her depression under a Jesus-microscope. Jesus is watching her All The Time, even when she's going to the bathroom, having Sweet Fellowship with Stevehovah, or blowing her nose. God forbid she spend a single second NOT focusing on Jesus-Jesus-Jesus.

According to traditional Christian belief, Jesus became Man in order to empathize with us. So it follows that a divine Jesus would WANT people to catch a break once in a while. I mean, Jesus went to parties and gatherings and made sure there was enough food and wine to go around, and who liked being with kids. And he HAD FRIENDS, like Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. As I recall, there is nothing in the New Testament about Jesus watching/judging you when you jerk off or demanding that you spend every spare minute polishing the cabinets.

I didn't know you could do that with Amazon Prime. Now that has opened up a new fundie reading list for me!

I wonder if the Maxwells know you can do that with Amazon. I would doubt that they do as they don't seem to approve of people reading their books if they haven't personally bought it from them.

It aggravates me to no end that I can't use the Kindle app on my android tablet to access the Amazon lending library. I'd like to read a few of their ebooks but I"m not about to pay for them. Something about having a physical copy in my house icks me out.

It aggravates me to no end that I can't use the Kindle app on my android tablet to access the Amazon lending library. I'd like to read a few of their ebooks but I"m not about to pay for them. Something about having a physical copy in my house icks me out.

Ditto! It's like having cooties on the bookshelf!!

A friend gave me some extremist media in wrapped, mint condition. I really don't want to view it, tho I should. When I run across it, ew. Don't want to just give it away, though, without first giving the recipient both sides of the cultural/moral divide so they can make an informed choice.

Hand, I'm where you are except I do believe Jesus is God and human. Even so, I have never ever ever believed, nor will I ever believe, that He and His Father watch our every moves with judgment in mind.

That may be the modus operandi of the gods of other religions, but not God as I've been taught about God.

I do believe Jesus is God and human. Even so, I have never ever ever believed, nor will I ever believe, that He and His Father watch our every moves with judgment in mind.

But that's what poor, depressed Terified is stuck with. Every damn day of her life.

Full disclosure: I have been dealing with depression since childhood. I am also a UU who self-identifies as Christian--that is, my moral and ethical attitudes are strongly influenced by the teachings of Jesus. I believe in God as the divine force that engendered all that exists--as something that goes far beyond male, female, or human--but am not sold on the idea of Jesus's divinity, no matter how hard I've tried.

Poor Terified (thanks, MamaJ!) is stuck struggling with her depression under a Jesus-microscope. Jesus is watching her All The Time, even when she's going to the bathroom, having Sweet Fellowship with Stevehovah, or blowing her nose. God forbid she spend a single second NOT focusing on Jesus-Jesus-Jesus.

According to traditional Christian belief, Jesus became Man in order to empathize with us. So it follows that a divine Jesus would WANT people to catch a break once in a while. I mean, Jesus went to parties and gatherings and made sure there was enough food and wine to go around, and who liked being with kids. And he HAD FRIENDS, like Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. As I recall, there is nothing in the New Testament about Jesus watching/judging you when you jerk off or demanding that you spend every spare minute polishing the cabinets.

Just waving HI to a fellow UU. :greetings-wavegreen:

The first miracle reported in the Bible was Jesus one-upping the water caterers at the Cana wedding. Not only was he social, but he redefined the familial relations by calling us all children of God, and all of us brothers and sisters. He had his 12 disciples drop what they were doing (AND LEAVE THEIR HOMES! WALK OUT OF THEIR HOUSES!) to follow him.

Look, the Gospel would not have made it out of Mary and Joseph's front yard if Jesus hadn't gotten out there and networked outside of his family. The Gospel of Steve does not match up with the life of Jesus, who at age 12 gave his parents quite the scare when he was found in the temple debating the rabbis -- not home scrubbing the kitchen cabinets.

Jesus also spend most of his time among the sinners (prostitutes, tax collectors, etc.) while condemning the Pharisees. Somehow, I think he would take a dim view of these holier-than-thou morons who keep their special snowflakes away from the world (exactly opposite of what the New Testament actually tells Christians to do).

I'm a Prime member and I'm relatively unversed on the Maxwell world, so I might check this out. I've got Quiverfull, Quivering Daughters and a few others on my keeper shelf, but I also find it interesting/helpful to read the fundies in their own words. I guess as someone who came out of fundie, I find it helpful to remind myself how they think because it helps keep me from going back there.

I didn't know you could do that with Amazon Prime. Now that has opened up a new fundie reading list for me!

I wonder if the Maxwells know you can do that with Amazon. I would doubt that they do as they don't seem to approve of people reading their books if they haven't personally bought it from them.

Amazon Prime costs money though so unless you order frequently it's not worth the price. You can only borrow one book per month. I am a prime member because I do use it a lot so it is worth the $79/year for me. I also get to have my daughter and sister on my prime membership.

Just waving HI to a fellow UU. :greetings-wavegreen:

The first miracle reported in the Bible was Jesus one-upping the water caterers at the Cana wedding. Not only was he social, but he redefined the familial relations by calling us all children of God, and all of us brothers and sisters. He had his 12 disciples drop what they were doing (AND LEAVE THEIR HOMES! WALK OUT OF THEIR HOUSES!) to follow him.

Look, the Gospel would not have made it out of Mary and Joseph's front yard if Jesus hadn't gotten out there and networked outside of his family. The Gospel of Steve does not match up with the life of Jesus, who at age 12 gave his parents quite the scare when he was found in the temple debating the rabbis -- not home scrubbing the kitchen cabinets.

Hi back atcha! :greetings-wavegreen:

And consider Jesus's visit to Mary and Martha: He flat-out told Martha that chilling with him was more important than obsessing about housework. Of course, the female Maxwells get stuck being a perfect Mary-Martha hybrid.

Being "in the word" reminds me of that Family Guy song... "buh-buh-buh-bird bird bird, bird is the word!" Now I'll never get it out of my head :angry-banghead:

But that's what poor, depressed Terified is stuck with. Every damn day of her life.

I sometimes wonder if Steve actually believes this crap or just uses it to control his family.

Being "in the word" reminds me of that Family Guy song... "buh-buh-buh-bird bird bird, bird is the word!" Now I'll never get it out of my head :angry-banghead:

Old Person Historical Comment: That

long predated The Family Guy. I remember seeing it performed on the Dick Clark show in 1963, shortly before the Beatles came to the US. I remembered thinking, "Well, the guy who performed THAT is a goner."

kpmom, you make a very good and important point about Teri having a lot of help from Sarah when she had the younger kids. Even if a lot of the Maxwells' acolytes have close to the number of kids that Steve and Teri do, most of them do not have this particular experience of having taken a long break between having kids. The fact that Teri had helpful, sweet, docile Sarah there to help with childcare while Teri griped and sniped at her (as I remember her writing in a blog post, though I can't recall which one now) made a BIG difference in the Maxwells being able to "govern" their family as they have. Kind of like the Duggars - what would it have been like if they had many boys before they ever had girls?

That is actually a surf song from the 60s by the Trashmen called SurfBird.

kpmom, you make a very good and important point about Teri having a lot of help from Sarah when she had the younger kids. Even if a lot of the Maxwells' acolytes have close to the number of kids that Steve and Teri do, most of them do not have this particular experience of having taken a long break between having kids. The fact that Teri had helpful, sweet, docile Sarah there to help with childcare while Teri griped and sniped at her (as I remember her writing in a blog post, though I can't recall which one now) made a BIG difference in the Maxwells being able to "govern" their family as they have. Kind of like the Duggars - what would it have been like if they had many boys before they ever had girls?

I am surprised they haven't addressed that in a book- you know, "Managers of Their Sweet Fellowship" - on how to space out your kids so you always have an extra age- appropriate daughter to help you hide the Pepsi and polish the cabinets

I might be crazy but I am fairly sure the book you borrow each month is essentially paid for by amazon, so the Maxwells are probably still seeing their share of the ebook :/ You don't directly pay for it but they still see some profit.

I found out the same issue when I read "Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit". It was probably 50% Bible verses. I actually felt scammed because the actual content was so slim. Even in their later books, it's just stuffed full of scripture rather than any writing on their part. I wonder how they can justify the cost of their books when there's so little actual "new" material. Then again, they can justify it because about Jesus which is awesome and it's about capitalism which is great so combining the two would be even better!

Amazon Prime costs money though so unless you order frequently it's not worth the price. You can only borrow one book per month. I am a prime member because I do use it a lot so it is worth the $79/year for me. I also get to have my daughter and sister on my prime membership.

Just an FYI, if you have a .edu email address (say, leftover from college or whatnot :whistle: ) you can sign up for amazon student.

Amazon student accounts get prime for 1/2 price for 4 years.

:P

I found out the same issue when I read "Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit". It was probably 50% Bible verses. I actually felt scammed because the actual content was so slim. Even in their later books, it's just stuffed full of scripture rather than any writing on their part. I wonder how they can justify the cost of their books when there's so little actual "new" material. Then again, they can justify it because about Jesus which is awesome and it's about capitalism which is great so combining the two would be even better!

This doesn't surprise me after reading their corners. Those are at least 50% bible verses.

Archived