IGNORED

Gabby Reece: submissive women is 'a sign of strength'(MERGE)

FakePigtails

This made my brain hurt: http://www.today.com/news/gabby-reece-w ... -1C9322181

In discussing her new book about her challenges as a mother and wife on TODAY Friday, former volleyball star and fitness advocate Gabrielle Reece said she believes women being submissive in a relationship is a sign of power rather than weakness.

In “My Foot is Too Big for the Glass Slipper,†she writes that “to truly be feminine means being soft, receptive, and – look out, here it comes – submissive.â€

“I think the idea of living with a partner is ‘How can I make their life better?’’’ Reece told Natalie Morales. “So if I’m the woman and he’s the man, then yes, that’s the dynamic. I’m willing and I choose to serve my family and my husband because it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine and treating me the way I want to be treated."

“I think because women have the ability to set the tone that the ultimate strength and showing real power, I believe, is creating that environment. I don’t think it’s a sign of weakness. I think it’s a sign of strength.’’

Reece, who has been married to legendary big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton for 17 years, also clarified her definition of being submissive.

“He’s not saying, ‘Dinner on the table at six,’’’ she said. “We’re not talking about that. I’m saying, ‘Hey I’ll lift up my side, and I’ll do it happily,’ and also the expectation would be, or the hope would be, that he comes with the same attitude. Is it a form of service? Absolutely. But I think it’s the place I can express that part of myself and my personality.’’

First of all, to each his own, if she prefers submission in her relationship I honestly don't care. Her choice to make, but don't dress it up with claims that it's some sort of empowering thing. Then her example from her marriage doesn't even strike me as something unique to a submissive wife role.

She was also on Rock Center: http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/201 ... tness?lite

Thankfully she seems too obscure to influence many women and girls, and now I hope it stays that way!

Women are always saying that submissiveness is a sign of "power" and "strength." I say, if the men are supposed to be the strong ones, let them be submissive! Interestingly, even though submission has all these power advantages, you never see fundy men who want to be submissive.

In discussing her new book about her challenges as a mother and wife on TODAY Friday, former volleyball star and fitness advocate Gabrielle Reece said she believes women being submissive in a relationship is a sign of power rather than weakness.

In “My Foot is Too Big for the Glass Slipper,†she writes that “to truly be feminine means being soft, receptive, and – look out, here it comes – submissive.â€

“I think the idea of living with a partner is ‘How can I make their life better?’’’ Reece told Natalie Morales. “So if I’m the woman and he’s the man, then yes, that’s the dynamic. I’m willing and I choose to serve my family and my husband because it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine and treating me the way I want to be treated."

“I think because women have the ability to set the tone that the ultimate strength and showing real power, I believe, is creating that environment. I don’t think it’s a sign of weakness. I think it’s a sign of strength.’’

Reece, who has been married to legendary big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton for 17 years, also clarified her definition of being submissive.

“He’s not saying, ‘Dinner on the table at six,’’’ she said. “We’re not talking about that. I’m saying, ‘Hey I’ll lift up my side, and I’ll do it happily,’ and also the expectation would be, or the hope would be, that he comes with the same attitude. Is it a form of service? Absolutely. But I think it’s the place I can express that part of myself and my personality.’’

x2sdas.gif

“to truly be feminine means being soft, receptive, and – look out, here it comes – submissive.â€

Oh yeah? My definition of feminine sure doesn't match yours, Gabby*. I prefer "strong, confident, generous, kind, bold, thoughtful, brave, sexy, warm, dependable, giver of hugs and kisses and the occasional scolding." Soft and receptive is sometimes OK (like at cuddle time), but it isn't everything. Submissive? Nevergonnahappen. Guess I'm not truly feminine then, eh?

*It's so much more disappointing when a woman who once appeared to be strong and independent ends up this way. :( At least I assume she wasn't submissive when she was playing volleyball on the beach in a tiny bikini....

I say, if the men are supposed to be the strong ones, let them be submissive!

Exactly. And why is it that it's almost always women who must have a servant's heart? Could it be because that's what's most convenient for the menz, and God has very little to do with it?

Then her example from her marriage doesn't even strike me as something unique to a submissive wife role.

Seemed more like what I'd call partnership. There's a unique concept.

Victory is defeat. War is peace. We've always been at war with Eastasia. Blah blah blah.

The only way that submission is strength is when the individual has been kidnapped by a bad guy and is waiting for the right moment to club him to death in his sleep.

it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine

So a woman NOT being submissive emasculates a man?

bnujhn uyhn787878ujhnuyjhun

^*keyboardfacepalm

I just saw this posted on yahoo!:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/gabrielle-ree ... eekly.html

Is she overtly religious? I would never have guessed that she had any conservative beliefs--her career did require some rather defrauding swimwear after all--and this article doesn't explicitly state any specific belief structure--but the language/justifications for her statements are spot on for some of our fundies: being submissive allows her husband to be manly for example and the implication that her submission is what allowed them to get back together after a rough patch...yuck.

Honestly I'm rather disappointed. Although I'm not a huge fan, she seemed like a pretty good example of a strong, confident, successful woman...

You know, she put on a good show, I watched the segment on Rock Center. However, she does not look happy. She does not look like a content woman satisfied with her choices. She seemed sad, resigned. It was obvious by her evasive answer that Laird has been involved with other women. If she has decided to allow herself to be dumped on to keep him, so be it. But I feel bad for those three girls who have to live with a submissive mother. Ugh.

I saw part of this on Rock Center. What's wrong with Laird's face? It looks off-kilter, like he's been in a few bar fights.

I read about this on Sunshine Mary's new blog: sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com. She had a post about it last week in which she suggested that Gabby has gotten submissive b/c her sexual market value has gone downhill and it's a way for her to keep her hunky husband who has a higher sexual market value.

Sunshine says: "He’s six years older than Gabrielle Reece, so their sex ranks aren’t as disparate as some, but I would agree that he is higher than she is now. She looks good in air-brushed photos, but in the TV interview you can see that the sun has damaged the skin on her face. But her body is unbelievable."

But overall, she thinks Gabby could be a good influence on American woman. Sunshine says: "There just is no denying that women prefer to be submissive to a dominant man, regardless of any other ideology they may espouse."

I saw part of this on Rock Center. What's wrong with Laird's face? It looks off-kilter, like he's been in a few bar fights.

Laird's face has probably been damaged due to surfing injuries.

I'm always reminded of the scene in Coming to America when the prince is talking with his family's choice of wife:

Prince: So...what's your favorite food?

Woman: Whatever you like!

Prince: uh...what's your favorite hobby?

Prince: uh....do you have a favorite film?

Woman: Yes, I do!

Prince: Oh?! What is it?

Thing is, he was really aggravated by this because he wanted her to have thoughts, opinions, and a damned brain! I imagine most other non-abusive men desire the same in their partners.

I was reading another interview with this woman where she said the sexes aren't equal. And in this article, she says they are. @_@ And what's with trying to pass wifely submission off as a "new and provocative way to keep marriages together"? It's kind of been the way things have been throughout history, except in developed countries in the last century. And it kept marriages together because the woman was too dependent to leave and often didn't have the right to divorce, anyway.

I'd love for her husband to tell her to do something crazy - like she has to wear a half a coconut on her head every day and shave her eyebrows off. He could even come up with some "godly" reason for it, like he thinks she needs to be less vain about her appearance. LOL

... it creates a dynamic where he is then in fact acting more like a man and masculine and treating me the way I want to be treated

The idea that women have to act submissive (even if it's totally against their nature and logical brain) to get a man to be a man has always mystified me. If that's true them maybe there is not really such a thing as a manly man. Maybe it's a big old lie. I mean if you have to fake it to get a man to act a particular way then he isn't REALLY that way...and either are you. So two big old liars and fakers pretending to be happy. I don't by that. Maybe find someone else who likes you the way you are? Just a thought.

Archived