IGNORED

Studio C-The clean Mormon version of SNL

lilwriter85

I was looking at NieNie's blog awhile ago and she did a list of things that she has recently liked and she talked about BYUtv webseries called Studio C, which she calls "clean SNL". I'm thinking about watching it to snark. Has anyone seen it?

byutv.org/seethegood/category/Studio-C.aspx

Nope. I don't care for 'clean' anything, per Mormon standards, as I feel most conservative Mormons who have sanitized viewing habits also want sanitized content. If you can't stand swear words, a boob shot and some blood squirting out, then I'm not sure how you can stomach mature themes like suicide and adultery? Art is subjective, of course. This is just my opinion.

Confession time- I have a soft spot for Mormon produced movies/made for Mormon TV shows. It's like permanently watching Saturday morning TV shows aimed at children- innocuous, and mostly poor production quality. While not actually in your face Mormon conversion methods, the story lines and humor generally follows Mormon stereotypes. Like "in" jokes about Jell-o and the like.

Confession time- I have a soft spot for Mormon produced movies/made for Mormon TV shows. It's like permanently watching Saturday morning TV shows aimed at children- innocuous, and mostly poor production quality. While not actually in your face Mormon conversion methods, the story lines and humor generally follows Mormon stereotypes. Like "in" jokes about Jell-o and the like.

I always watch stuff like this for the hilarity. Have you seen "The Best Two Years"? That was my favorite.

No idea about Studio C, but I have consumed too much Mormon media. The few books I read were terrible and the movies I've seen are about what you'd expect from family-friendly comedies. I thought Sons of Provo was actually a bit critical of LDS culture. I imagine a lot of Mormons just took it at face value, though, given some of the terrible youtube videos I've seen using those songs.

I actually thought God's Army and States of Grace were pretty good as far as that type of movie goes. Brigham City is actually supposed to be good as well, though with a PG-13 rating it's really not typical of Mormon movies. The director of all three, Richard Dutcher, isn't really Mormon anymore anyway (and Will Swenson, who did Sons of Provo and acted in the Singles Ward movies definitely isn't Mormon anymore).

BYU has a sketch comedy group, if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/BYUDivineComedy They did a video poking fun of the LDS early marriage culture that got some attention a few years ago:

I always watch stuff like this for the hilarity. Have you seen "The Best Two Years"? That was my favorite.

Yes, I've seen the Best Two Years! The crisis of faith, where the missionary's girlfriend breaks up with him via letter, and marries an RM. Priceless.

I don't mind an occasional family friendly film but I'm an adult so I also want to view movies about adult topics. Subjects don't have to be watered down to protect me. Of course, people can make their own decisions what to watch but I've been around individuals who expressed shock at anything involving curse words or even slightly off color. I don't know how anyone can withstand a steady diet of saccharine all the time.

I haven't seen Studio C, but I'll admit to keeping an eye on the BYU TV listings. They show a lot of the older, more obscure Disney movies (That Darn Cat, the old Kurt Russell movies, etc), and we watched all of a series called Wind At My Back (Canadian, I think) on BYU.

I am also amused by the fact that BYU and all of the other religious channels are grouped on DirecTV, and right in the middle is a channel called Link (I think) that shows things like Democracy Now and international news, and other less-conservative-looking shows.

I don't mind an occasional family friendly film but I'm an adult so I also want to view movies about adult topics. Subjects don't have to be watered down to protect me. Of course, people can make their own decisions what to watch but I've been around individuals who expressed shock at anything involving curse words or even slightly off color. I don't know how anyone can withstand a steady diet of saccharine all the time.

I also don't mind an occasional family friendly movie, and I also agree I don't need things watered down. With some Mormons, I think they are used to that steady diet of saccharine. NieNie once said on her blog that she was proud of the fact that she has never watched or owned an R rated movie. Another Mormon blogger I follow, has whined about curse words in PG-13 movies several times and she exaggerated some of the content of the Footloose remake. There are some Mormons who do watch R rated movies. I can't remember which blog featured arguments from Mormons over R rated movies. I also came across a Mormon guy blogger who mentioned being a fan of The Godfather series, but he might be watching edited versions.

I haven't seen Studio C, but I'll admit to keeping an eye on the BYU TV listings. They show a lot of the older, more obscure Disney movies (That Darn Cat, the old Kurt Russell movies, etc), and we watched all of a series called Wind At My Back (Canadian, I think) on BYU.

I am also amused by the fact that BYU and all of the other religious channels are grouped on DirecTV, and right in the middle is a channel called Link (I think) that shows things like Democracy Now and international news, and other less-conservative-looking shows.

I also have DirecTV and I also laughed at the placement of Link in the middle of those channels.

I also don't mind an occasional family friendly movie, and I also agree I don't need things watered down. With some Mormons, I think they are used to that steady diet of saccharine. NieNie once said on her blog that she was proud of the fact that she has never watched or owned an R rated movie. Another Mormon blogger I follow, has whined about curse words in PG-13 movies several times and she exaggerated some of the content of the Footloose remake. There are some Mormons who do watch R rated movies. I can't remember which blog featured arguments from Mormons over R rated movies. I also came across a Mormon guy blogger who mentioned being a fan of The Godfather series, but he might be watching edited versions.

The Godfather has very few swears and curse words, and very little sex/nudity. It's mostly R rated for violence. Maybe that makes it "better" than an R rated movie that has lots of nudity?

I'm my own censorship board.

I won't watch anything rated above M or with graphic scenes, because its too scary for me.

That said I love revolting off colour comedy like Tim & Eric Awesome Show.

Yes, I've seen the Best Two Years! The crisis of faith, where the missionary's girlfriend breaks up with him via letter, and marries an RM. Priceless.

So absurd and awful ... my favorite kind.

Archived