IGNORED

Fundy LOLs (General)

Ralar

An Orthodox Jew in an airplane with women - so he covers himself with a plastic bag...

jpOezc5.jpg

I bet he lives in Mea Shearim or Kiryat Joel.

He can cover himself in duct tape for all I care. As long as he doesn't expect me to change anything about how I dress, act or travel.

An Orthodox Jew in an airplane with women - so he covers himself with a plastic bag....

It has nothing to do with being on a plane with women, it's because he's a Cohen and is concerned about religious cleanliness issues regarding dead bodies. It's weird, but isn't about women.

It has nothing to do with being on a plane with women, it's because he's a Cohen and is concerned about religious cleanliness issues regarding dead bodies. It's weird, but isn't about women.

Ah that's interesting, thank you

Could you explain this more? Was their a dead body on the plane or something?

post-1829-14451997724889_thumb.jpg

This has been making the rounds on FB today and I'm surprised it hasn't made it here. Someone snapped a photo of this man on an airplane.

Explanation: he is almost certainly an ultra -orthodox (chareidi) Jew who is a Cohen (from a family in the priestly caste). Cohens are forbidden from entering cemeteries as they are forbidden from being around corpses due to tumah (ritual impurity). Airplanes may fly over cemeteries, so some extreme cohens fly in a bag to avoid tumah.

Logically crazy as there is no temple and you're further away from the cemetery in the air as you'd be on the ground, but there you go. I guess rays of tumah fly upward from dead bodies and can be defeated by a thin layer of plastic, but not by the metal shell of an airplane.

Another reason for the impurity concern is that the plane may be carrying a dead body. I don't know where this plane was headed, but it's a common possibility on flights to Israel because many Jews make arrangements to be buried there.

Aw I missed it this when I posted. It's because there MIGHT be a body in cargo, and also because the plane is probably going to be flying over cemeteries.

I guess they don't realize that there are dead bodies everywhere- or does it only count if they're recently dead and/or in a cemetary. My god, if they ever went to London they'd have to be shrink wrapped!

Forget flying over that cemetery, they were going to be flying over the sea. Who knows how many dead bodies are floating in that ocean.

Gawd, don't you feel sorry for all the Jewish kids out there today, whose friends have just got that on their facebook? "No honest, we're not all nutters, most of us are quite normal really".

Somebody should explain the worlds ecosystem to him. He would probably demand a one way ticket on the next Soyuz expedition. :lol: :lol:

Somebody should explain the worlds ecosystem to him. He would probably demand a one way ticket on the next Soyuz expedition. :lol: :lol:

Also, cremated dead people end up in the air. WE'RE BREATHING IN DEAD PEOPLE!!11!!!11eleventy!!1

Also, cremated dead people end up in the air. WE'RE BREATHING IN DEAD PEOPLE!!11!!!11eleventy!!1

MY CELLS CONTAIN DEAD PEOPLE. Does this mean I am living or dead? or am I simultaneously living AND dead?

I must have missed the verse of the Torah that instructs priests to wrap themselves in plastic bags when flying....sheesh

I think this is not a bad idea. Unlike other fundies who thrust all their restrictions on women at least this guy is restricting himself. Also: if he farts - the smell is contained and if that bag suffocates him - evolution in action. Fundies, what will they think of next? :)

What I don't understand, and maybe the FJ theologians can fill me in, is how the death rays can penetrate up to 30,000 feet, go through the metal fuselage of the aircraft, waft up through the cargo section and floor, penetrate the seat cushion and yet be completely thwarted by a clear plastic bag.

What I don't understand, and maybe the FJ theologians can fill me in, is how the death rays can penetrate up to 30,000 feet, go through the metal fuselage of the aircraft, waft up through the cargo section and floor, penetrate the seat cushion and yet be completely thwarted by a clear plastic bag.

The idea is that some materials, like metal, pass along the impurity, but other like wood or plastic don't. Kind of like how some materials conduct electricity better than others.

Jewish Law is really complex and while I don't agree with this person's approach, if someone is trying to avoid impurity it is not so easy to do that just because something is between you and the dead body. Only specific kinds of barriers will work.

UkoJh9c.jpg

Predictable, I know, but I felt someone had to do it. :D

So, on this fellow's bag, where it usually just says "this bag is not a toy" (do they still say that? It's been decades since I've had anything dry-cleaned!), it probably says "this bag is not a toy - it is an instrument of priestly purity."

ETA - I was vaguely aware of the restrictions on Cohanim, but never really thought it through. So, if someone follows this fully, they may not be at a graveside service as part of processsing their own grief and comforting others, may not visit the grave of a loved one, may not be the one to sit by a just-dead person until the body is taken for burial, or attend the unveiling of a headstone?

Seems hurtful, and very un-Jewish, to me.

But I guess that's fundy-ism for you.

Archived