IGNORED

People with fundie beliefs but nonfundie lifestyle?

YPestis

From what I've been told, they don't necessarily speak German in such a way as people from Germany speak it. Everything pertaining to Amish culture around our area is referred to as Dutch.

No, it's really Deutsch and the Amish do speak a language that is an offshoot of German. "Dutch" and "Pennsylvania Dutch" is the common term for the language but it is not actually correct; it's "Dutch" only because that's what "Duetsch" sounds like to non-German speakers.

We live about 30 minutes from the heart of the biggest Amish community in the US, and we are there several times a year. It is lightyears different than it was even in the early 80s; I'd venture so far as to say even the 90s.

I did not grow up in the same area that I suspect you live in, but I did grow up in the same state and somewhat nearish that area. The Amish have their public face and their private lives. They are both are overly-romanticized and overly-demonized, and the truth lies in the middle of what you and Wolfe are saying.

Sometimes I can be kind of a mix. I hold quite a few conservative beliefs but yet, in other ways, I am liberal. But it's more liberal views about what other people do.

Me too!!! I'm not fundie, but sometimes have strongly conservative opinions about things.

Me too!!! I'm not fundie, but sometimes have strongly conservative opinions about things.

oops, i had already posted on this thread saying the same thing i just said. no wonder it felt so familiar :) oh well, sorry!

Conservative beliefs do not always equal Fundie. IMO most of the traditional men /women roles were rooted in culture more than religion as with the husband rules thing.

I was raised Church of Christ, you know the only church no dance, no mixed swiming kind. A light bulb went off in my head when I was about 18 or 19 I started thinking for myself. I never really jived with the no dance thing. But I still tended to be judgemental toward other faiths. I still had to go because I knew my parents wouldn't hear otherwise. At 23 I told them I wasn't going which resulted in a talk. Wasn't I a bit too old for that?I have liberal views on some issues and more conservative views on others as a result. It is perhaps 'religous guilt'. I think one can find a nice balance of values and not be ultra conservative or ultra liberal. For me I try to balance both without being so black and white.

I have an atheist friend who fully believes that her role is to take care of her husband and pretty much be a Stepford wife. She does the whole pearls/dresses/heels even when she cleans the house (and no, it isn't a fetish thing). She only wears dresses, won't let her husband see her without make-up, won't let him be in a messy house. She has drinks and snacks waiting for him when he gets home from work and she massages his feet as he scarfs them down.

I am also pretty sure that she believes wives should be sexually available for their husbands all the time, regardless of if they want to fuck or not.

After writing all of this I am wondering why I am friends with this person.

Archived