IGNORED

Maxwell Conference Simi Valley: No message for ppl like me?

Closed Womb

Advanced registration won't prevent FJers from going to their events unless the Maxwells have some kind of added requirement like being a member of a church or something. Alecto, Treemom and Emmiedahl weren't the first FJers to attend a Maxwell conference. Clibbyjo and another FJer attended one, but they were undercover in frumpers.

When the new conferences were announced, there was a thread where several FJers said they were thinking about attending the ones closest to them. I remember someone saying their gym is Simi Valley and someone said she was thinking about going to the CT one, but she is pregnant. Mirele, a Phoenix area FJer was thinking about going to the Scottsdale conference. Mierle stopped posting here on FJ because she had two personal encounters with another fundie family. I doubt she would go to Scottsdale.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sparkles and I are thinking of going to the Connecticut one.

Eh, the registration is just an email with I'm guessing a name and number of attendees. They may have a lot of Mary Smiths showing up.

I don't think the registration thing is new. I remember them having it for years. I think it's rather akin to signing up for a mailing list when you purchase something in a store.

I'm on the East Coast, but not too close to Connecticut. I'm hoping when they're up there, they come down towards where I am, because I would love to go to one of their conferences.

The latest post is quite enlightening... Poor Sarah is playing eye-spy.

They saw a bunch of cyclists in defrauding lycra showing off their man parts... (Stevie DELETE) :o

titus2.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC_3484.jpg

But Poor Sarah wrote

You might think this was a bike race, but apparently it wasn’t, because Mom saw some of the bikers had turned the opposite direction.

- Stevie must of shouted out 'Nike' out of Uriah's window.

Terri must have been smoking eating a Cheese paper as,

Shoulder rub for the driver (thanks to Joseph!).

titus2.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC_3541.jpg

:shifty:

Teri couldn't have done the shoulder rub? Ew...

I wonder why the stopped wearing frumpers and switched to maxi skirt and shirt/sweater/cardi combos

They saw a bunch of cyclists in defrauding lycra showing off their man parts... (Stevie DELETE) :o

titus2.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC_3484.jpg

I saw at least one bare knee in that picture. :o

Anna's hair looks really cute in that picture where she is walking with Teri and Mary. She's workin' on that tousled, Botkin, just-laid look.

Yeah I wanted to go to one when they were near to me last time, but I'd need to bring my toddler & I'm not sure I want him around that madness. I am hauling him to the creation museum at the end of the month, but we're going with some friends so I figure protection in numbers.

Checked their schedule & boy do they have time available............not as many folks lining up for ya, huh?

Teri couldn't have done the shoulder rub? Ew...

I wonder why the stopped wearing frumpers and switched to maxi skirt and shirt/sweater/cardi combos

Probably because they are trying to market their daughters. One if them needs to be married off soon or the people might start questioning the whole sahd thing, just my thoughts.

So ... seeing a Texas Roadhouse restaurant signifies "Texas" for Poor Sarah? I can't make out the logos on that building, but it sure looks like it.

As far as registration, the organizers take care of that. If I were to e-mail and register as Mary Smith with an e-mail address, I seriously doubt any further questions would be asked.

My main interest in replying is the observation (above) that the sessions for moms are self-improvement, those for dads are those-around-you improvement. Because having a male set of genitals makes you -- just -- I dunno, too perfect for words?

Yes, yes that's it.

I'm really glad to know the Maxwells don't - to date, anyway - consdescend to tell older single people how to live. But as has been pointed out, they'll soon have Poor Sarah as an object lesson from which to work. Sad.

On an "up" note, there aren't photos of crowded halls so far.

Probably because they are trying to market their daughters. One if them needs to be married off soon or the people might start questioning the whole sahd thing, just my thoughts.

Didn't they say Mary is in charge of their wardrobes now or something to that effect? I just assumed she was more fashionably inclined than Anna or Sarah and it was showing. Though the possibility that Anna took one look at her 31 year old "child" spinster sister and decided urgent action had to be taken is definitely worth considering!

Something else has bothered me about the Maxhells lately: Poor Sarah's new habit of posting photos of herself with the camera obscuring her face. Whether or not she realizes it, I think it's her way of acknowledging that she's disappearing.

Though the possibility that Anna took one look at her 31 year old "child" spinster sister and decided urgent action had to be taken is definitely worth considering!

I kind of thought both Anna and Mary had this thought running through their head. They want to marry (very badly) and watch helplessly as Sarah, who for unfathomable reasons (to them), remains unmarried. It can't possibly be due to their restrictive lifestyle, so it must something else, maybe their appearance. Plus, appearance is probably the only thing the Maxwell girls have some autonomy over. If nothing else, making themselves look more stylish makes them feel that they are taking control of their future.

Something else has bothered me about the Maxhells lately: Poor Sarah's new habit of posting photos of herself with the camera obscuring her face. Whether or not she realizes it, I think it's her way of acknowledging that she's disappearing.

Very astute - I have noticed her doing that lately too.

I was considering going to a Maxwell event. I noticed that a few of them have the itineraries available, click on Simi Valley, and realize that I have no place at a Maxwell conference. The groups are segregated as: Moms, Dads, Young Ladies, Young Men.

titus2.com/inspire-conference/simi-valley-ca.html

Inasmuch as I am a cis female, I don't fit into the two male categories. I have no children, nor do I plan to have children (and I'm well into the age of high risk pregnancy), so the Mom category is out. I'd like to fancy myself a "young lady", but I can tell from the topic titles that I am fooling myself with that moniker.

So, I guess the Maxwells just don't have a place in their message for someone like me. Or, incidentally, someone like Sarah. :whistle:

Same here. They are limited to people of their cultural and virgins.

I kind of thought both Anna and Mary had this thought running through their head. They want to marry (very badly) and watch helplessly as Sarah, who for unfathomable reasons (to them), remains unmarried. It can't possibly be due to their restrictive lifestyle, so it must something else, maybe their appearance. Plus, appearance is probably the only thing the Maxwell girls have some autonomy over. If nothing else, making themselves look more stylish makes them feel that they are taking control of their future.

See, I always thought Teri and by extension Steve were pretty controlling over clothes. I mean, contrasting buttons are sinful....I'm surprised those two lightened up enough to let the girls wear more fashionable clothes and put a little wave in their hair.

See, I always thought Teri and by extension Steve were pretty controlling over clothes. I mean, contrasting buttons are sinful....I'm surprised those two lightened up enough to let the girls wear more fashionable clothes and put a little wave in their hair.

Well, I believe their visit with the Duggars may have been a turning point with the Maxwells'. I just noticed the Maxwell girls' appearances had a complete do-over after one prominent visit with the Duggars. I think Steve and Teri have always been restrictive with their children's appearances. They were all about frumpers and no makeup. I think Steve even mentioned that he thought too much focus on looks was sinful or something.

I think what happened was Steve noted the modest but stylish appearances of the Duggar girls and realized if he allowed his girls to modernize their looks too, it would be better for business---I mean, ministry. Perhaps Jim-Bob told him as much. They are all selling---I mean, spreading---God's message, but it's easier to do it with an attractive and relatable packaging. Steve may have realized frumpers were ok, but the modern clothes that the Duggar girls were appropriate as well and it may attract more buyers---I mean followers. The Maxwell girls were exposed to more fashioned fundies and, once given the green light, too to getting modern clothes and playing with their hair. Heck, all this could be just an attempt to become like the Duggar girls! Maybe Steve is crazy enough to think that he could get his show if he played his cards right.

(I know, Steve have referred to TV as "the beast" but the anti-TV stance hasn't stopped the Duggars or Bates from doing their TV show so why assume Steve would think differently?)

Advanced registration won't prevent FJers from going to their events unless the Maxwells have some kind of added requirement like being a member of a church or something. Alecto, Treemom and Emmiedahl weren't the first FJers to attend a Maxwell conference. Clibbyjo and another FJer attended one, but they were undercover in frumpers.

When the new conferences were announced, there was a thread where several FJers said they were thinking about attending the ones closest to them. I remember someone saying their gym is Simi Valley and someone said she was thinking about going to the CT one, but she is pregnant. Mirele, a Phoenix area FJer was thinking about going to the Scottsdale conference. Mierle stopped posting here on FJ because she had two personal encounters with another fundie family. I doubt she would go to Scottsdale.

I was the one who mentioned that my gym is in Simi -- that's why I was checking on the schedule. Now I'd have to pretend to be a mom or pretend to be single. Problem is, I am World's Worst Liar and if someone starts casually chatting with me I will get busted. :?

Guest Anonymous

I was the one who mentioned that my gym is in Simi -- that's why I was checking on the schedule. Now I'd have to pretend to be a mom or pretend to be single. Problem is, I am World's Worst Liar and if someone starts casually chatting with me I will get busted. :?

That's why I think they have tightened up on registration. Obviously, anyone can say whatever they want to say in an email. But by specifying that you need to register whether both "mom and dad" are coming and how many children, they are clearly trying to put off the types of people (like Poor Sarah...) who are not welcome.

Why is someone holding the iphone up to sunglasses? Are they trying to take a picture?

And why is that considered "very clever"? Anyone?

Terified's decision that the bikers were not part of a race because some were riding in the opposite direction irritates the tar outta me.

Hey, Mizrus Maxwell, here are a few thoughts, slightly outside your mental box:

Maybe the "wrong way" riders have dropped out of the race.

Or maybe they are race officials, not contestants.

Or maybe the race course doubles back upon itself and they're in the lead (unlikely, I suppose).

Why does it bother me? Because of Poor Sarah's lambish agreement with "Whatever My Mommy Says" (much like little Mary's acquiesence to "Whatever My Mommy Wants" when the orthodontist asked Mary what she wanted to do about options that would result in differing levels of discomfort).

And why does that bother me? Because as good as my folks were, they were pretty opinionated, and I chose to accept everything they said as true. A friend called me out on it one day: "Junebug, every other thing you mention begins with 'My parents think.' Do *you* ever think for youself?!" -- difference being: I was 18. PS is 31.

No surprise that she photographs herself with her face obscured.

I thought perhaps she was trying to take a picture of the sun, or something reflective? No idea, otherwise, because it's another one of those "hey look at this!" riddle with no answer Maxwell posts.

I had noticed the face obscured photos too, and wondered what meaning that had. Sarah is also the only Maxwell "child" who doesn't perform during the musical numbers.

I've often wondered what her personality is like. I picture her putting everyone before herself, even more than the average fundy woman who keeps sweet.

It does make me glad for her that she has her books and the blog, such as they are.

Archived