IGNORED

The importance of choice

JaChelle Sugar

The other day I overheard a fundy family member talk about the importance of choice as a concept in a mocking way. Choice as a broader idea, not just abortion/BC. Made me think of those protest signs, the ones that say thing's like 'i can't believe in 2013 i still have to protest this shit'.

What the FUCK is wrong with these people? Do they think choice only applies to buying guns and hitting their kids and keeping them out of school (and not bothering to educate or socialize them)?

edited for clarity

It has to do with fundies and choice and logic fail which is why I put it in Snark. But if a mod thinks it should be in Chatter I joyfully submit. (well, maybe not joyfully.)

I think it's good here, for the reasons that Jachelle said....we talk about fundies/abortion/BC/guns everything that she said here is snark.

Right. We have a choice to use our brains, or not to use them. Now, if you'll excuse me, this thread reminded me that I forgot to take my pill today. I take my pill because I used my brain and decided that I didn't want to put up with unbearable period cramps every month. I think it was a good choice...

I wonder if they really consider gun ownership and child-hitting a choice issue, though. I could definitely see fundies thinking parents should have to hit their kids, at the very least.

I think that there are people out there who don't understand or value the importance of choice. There are some personality types who just don't want to make their own choices (or are incapable of making their own choices); they just want someone to tell them what to do. I suspect that many of these people don't realize that allowing someone else to make your choices for you is also a choice.

I wonder if they really consider gun ownership and child-hitting a choice issue, though. I could definitely see fundies thinking parents should have to hit their kids, at the very least.

They rabidly fight for the choice to hit their kids and own guns. Tbh, I can't see them bothering to want an actual law requiring gun ownership or maybe not even hitting kids as 'discipline' but they'll sure as hell judge those who find nonviolent way's of raising children.

They don't make choices. They read their 2000 year old book of fables, and do what it says. Except for the parts about loving your neighbor and helping the poor. Those parts don't count, because Jebus...or something. The rest of us make choices, and they're from the debbil. And feminists.

I think that there are people out there who don't understand or value the importance of choice. There are some personality types who just don't want to make their own choices (or are incapable of making their own choices); they just want someone to tell them what to do. I suspect that many of these people don't realize that allowing someone else to make your choices for you is also a choice.

The way I was raised, fundie-lite, but much like the Pearl's way. Never, ever allowed to say no, no sense of self, spare the rod, abuse child into submission, immediate obedience, has left me lacking in decision making skills. I fail, even at 45, to be able to run my own life. I'm always looking for someone to take control. The only times I have been successful is on a job where I had structure. On the other hand I have little tolerance for controlling people and I'm good at picking them out. My BF isn't controlling of people but of his surroundings, that is what makes him feel secure and I can totally live with that because it gives me structure.

I feel so bad for the SAHD'S and the sheltered children. I know what it is like not to have the coping skills to be able to walk down the big road of life. It is damn hard!

ETA: If choices are taken away from you, you do not develop decision making skills and have trouble coping with real life.

Archived