IGNORED

Celebs Who are Atheists

GolightlyGrrl

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm happy to see that Daniel Radcliff's an atheist.

My fave is Julianne Moore. She's one of my favorite actresses, and she supports liberal causes. Oh, and because she's a freckle-faced redhead.

I love that Jodie Foster celebrates different religious holidays with her kids. It's a great way for kids to learn to be accepting of other cultures, and parties are always good!

I love that Jodie Foster celebrates different religious holidays with her kids. It's a great way for kids to learn to be accepting of other cultures, and parties are always good!

Ooh, yes. I was raised Catholic, but now attend a Unitarian church, but I love a good Passover seder.

kevin bacon is.

gene Roddenberry was a fervid atheist...it shows in the star treks, esp next generation. deep space nine was the first series without his guiding and you can see the difference.

Stephen Fry is iirc. And they're not celebrities, but a lot of the UK government are - it's amazing that the religion of politicians is such a big deal in the US.

Stephen Fry is iirc. And they're not celebrities, but a lot of the UK government are - it's amazing that the religion of politicians is such a big deal in the US.

Yes, he is an atheist. Ironically he has discovered the Banana Man himself; Ray Comfort. He was on about him on his Twatter the other day.

Katharine Hepburn was an atheist and so was Burt Lancaster. Kathy Griffin is and Janeane Garafolo is too. In fact, quite a few comedians are atheists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_atheists

Just looking at the list of English atheists on Wikipedia. Simon Pegg, Hugh Laurie, Rowan Atkinson, Johnny Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten), Helen Mirren and Emma Thompson are atheists as was Christopher Robin Milne. Yes, that Christopher Robin!

An atheist is hosting the Oscar telecast which just started.

I wonder if a lot of people aren't really atheists, but aren't "out" about the fact. On paper, I'm ELCA, but if anyone even scratches the surface a tiny bit, they'll find out I'm atheist. I'm only ELCA because church is still a huge part of our social life and the ELCA doesn't bother all that much.

The other reason I still attend church is that I feel like I should at least expose my children to religion, otherwise, am I just raising fundamentalist atheists? How can I give them meaningful choice if I don't at least expose them to religion?

The other reason I still attend church is that I feel like I should at least expose my children to religion, otherwise, am I just raising fundamentalist atheists? How can I give them meaningful choice if I don't at least expose them to religion?

By that logic, are you giving your kids a meaningful choice by not taking them to services at a Jewish temple, Muslim mosque, Pagan coven, etc?

I wonder if a lot of people aren't really atheists, but aren't "out" about the fact. On paper, I'm ELCA, but if anyone even scratches the surface a tiny bit, they'll find out I'm atheist. I'm only ELCA because church is still a huge part of our social life and the ELCA doesn't bother all that much.

What's a fundamentalist atheist?

By that logic, are you giving your kids a meaningful choice by not taking them to services at a Jewish temple, Muslim mosque, Pagan coven, etc?

I do struggle with not giving them enough diversity in their religious choices. The first issue is access -- I don't live in a metro area that has access to other, interesting religions. The second issue is that my point in giving them some exposure to religion is not to say, "this is your only choice in religion." Rather, the point is to say, "my way is not the only way, here's a taste of religion. Try it, see what you think."

Interestingly, as a part of ELCA Sunday school, students are encouraged to investigate and explore other religions. In fact, you are required to attend at least 3 services of another religion of your choosing.

I honestly don't anticipate that my children will be anything but atheists. My mother was Mormon and my father was atheist. All my siblings and I are atheist, but all of us still minimally attend church and take our kids to church. If my kids think critically and rely on evidence, they will come to their own conclusions.

My father did take all of us kids to the ELCA church near us while growing up, I think he felt the same way, which was that his choice in religion shouldn't dictate his children's choices.

The "choice" is between reality and fiction. Do you really want them believing something you know isnt true?

Rather, the point is to say, "my way is not the only way, here's a taste of religion. Try it, see what you think."

But why do you need to be part of a church for them to get a taste of religion?

I know a lot about a lot of different religions that I've never been to worship services for. When I was younger, I researched aspects of the various religions because I was interested in them and no one had to encourage me to do it. Face it, if you're in the U.S., it's virtually impossible to make it to 18 without experiencing religion (at least Christianity) And if you have internet access, you can easily find out anything you want to know about any religion.

The "choice" is between reality and fiction. Do you really want them believing something you know isnt true?

This is exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't seem to put into words. I'm perfectly fine with my daughter, when she is old enough (still a toddler), going to religious services with friends, as I did when I was a kid. Exposure to various cultures and making up her own mind about things is important. But I would never take her to religious services myself in such a way as to present them as an equally valid alternative way of viewing reality.

I mean -- I love magic and fairytales. But I also explain to her when things are "pretend." I wouldn't take her to a church where she is being told all kinds of Sunday School stories but do her the disservice of not explaining that those stories are pretend, just like Cinderella and Peter Pan.

If she chose to become religious someday, I'm not going to lie -- I would have serious concerns. But there would be nothing I could do to stop it, and we'd be better off preserving a loving and supportive relationship.

I explained that above, which is that if they apply logic and critical thinking, they will come to the appropriate conclusion on their own. That is better is the long run, no?

I do find it a little unsettling that FJ rails (albeit appropriately) against parents who isolate and fail to expose their children to choice in religion, but a self-admitted atheist who isn't against exposing her child to a mainstream religion is called out. Isn't that the point? To give your children the information and allow them to apply their intellect and knowledge to make their own conclusions.

I should note that my children minimally attend a liberal, mainstream Lutheran church. And our attendance record is, I'm sure, quite pathetic compared to even the most fair weather church goers.

Back to an interesting topic: based on his Twitter feed, I think John Cusak is an atheist, but he's a douche, so perhaps that's a bad example. He's also 90 percent incoherent.

Archived