IGNORED

The "false god" of modern medicine

maybeizfundie

gnowfglins.com/2013/02/08/4-things-you-didnt-know-about-vaccines/#

Found it. Now I will warn you that I couldn't even get through the whole post, much less the video.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well at least the false god of medicine actually cures the blind and saves lives. lets get the percentages of how many people god saved verses medicine.

Good point. Maybe god could have asked Jesus to share the good news of penicillin and hygiene when he came to earth, instead of spitting on disabled people to cure them of permanent injuries and conditions. Or hey, maybe god could have not caused those disabilities in the first place. The immune system (for those who have one that functions normally) is a great thing, but centuries of death from common bacteria and viruses should be enough to show anyone that it can use some improvement.

That post is full of so much fail.

Except for when they, you know, KILL YOU. Or in the case of rubella, kill or cause permanent injury to your fetus.

Thank God for that!

Or in, in the case of perfect irony, damage your fetus so you abort and then that is used to start a cell line which is instrumental in creating vaccines for that disease and others.

One of my favorite arguments from an anti-vaxer was that, even though your child has the whooping cough vaccine, he can still get a milder form of whooping cough.

Erm...okay. I'd still rather him have a milder form of whooping cough than fullblown whooping cough. I was just kind of like "oh, what a great argument FOR the vaccine" :?

I find this so infuriating. So are they against ALL modern stuff? Cars? Computers? Air conditioning? None of that stuff is ~natural~ either. :angry-banghead:

gnowfglins.com/2013/02/08/4-things-you-didnt-know-about-vaccines/#

Found it. Now I will warn you that I couldn't even get through the whole post, much less the video.

A commenter replied on the website Wolfie found: "All diseases can be healed naturally through diet and lifestyle.." Makes me want to :angry-banghead: at so much stupid!!

Aaarrrrgghhh!!!

But you guys, God totally expanded my aorta to normal size on His own! The surgeon had nothing to do with it! Just waiting for Him to grow me a tricuspid aortic valve and patch up some of those holes in my heart...maybe if I keep praying?

(Translation: This lady is an idiot and if there's an afterlife Darwin is there and laughing at her.)

God also totally extracted my husband from his torn-to-shit car, restructured the bones in his legs, and sutured his intestines to keep him from bleeding to death. None of this "through His medical servants on Earth" shit, either. Nope, just God. God also prevented me from getting ill this winter and passing on a common illness that could have killed him in his fragile state, and it had fuck-all to do with getting jabbed in November.

Also, I have at least one autistic child in my class who hasn't been vaccinated. *dramatic voice* HOW ON EARTH DID HE CATCH THIS FATE WORSE THAN POLIO?!?!

Old person here: I was born in 1952, in the midst of a polio epidemic. The daughter of a family friend died of polio. People my age and older bless the names Salk and Sabin.

Yes, people my age had things like measles, mumps, rubella, and chicken pox. I remember what it felt like, at age 6, to have chicken pox in my throat. I have a 30-year-old colleague who wound up in intensive freaking care with chicken pox. I remember recuperating from measles in a darkened room because measles can cause blindness. I remember how excruciating mumps was--and how it left my friend's husband, who contracted it as a teenager, with one "dead" testicle. And I remember how terrified my pregnant mother was when my little sister caught German measles (rubella). There was a rubella epidemic that year ('64-'65), and pregnant women who caught the disease had record numbers of bind, deaf, and blind-deaf children.

I want to take these idiots who are blind to science and who refuse to learn from history and kick them in the head.

I've got to say, this kind of stuff is really insulting to people with autism too. Not that the condition is without challenges, but even if vaccines and autism had some kind of link, wouldn't you rather have a live kid with autism than a dead one from (insert preventable disease here)? Because that was the reality for way too many parents before vaccines kept the wolves from the door.

Old person here: I was born in 1952, in the midst of a polio epidemic. The daughter of a family friend died of polio. People my age and older bless the names Salk and Sabin.

I remember my friend's mom telling me (she's a pediatrician who's really interested in immunology and the like), that when the polio vaccine first came out, people dragged their children to go get it, even though it was new and more dangerous than the vaccine today. Though it had been tested, the original vaccine had actually caused polio in a few cases because some viruses weren't inactivated properly, and so some people were injected with live polio. Polio was so devastating that parents were willing to take that chance.

It infuriates me when people turn their noses up at medical and technological innovations that enable us to live safely and healthily. You would think that fundies would be even more enthusiastic about vaccines and medicine, since there's no way they would have those huge broods before godless modern medicine came around to make sure their babies didn't die.

My mother is a big proponent of natural medicine and home remedies. She hates artificial anything. However, she grew up in the 50's in China when vaccinations were just getting off the ground. She remembers people getting sick from everything that we vaccinate against, and some we no longer require (polio, small pox). To this day, she is a huge proponent of vaccinations. You can be pro-natural health and pro-vaccination. Sadly, vaccinations are a victim of their own success. You ask anyone who've seen a pox scarred face, or a kid crippled by polio, or parents who grieve for dead babies, and you will change your tune.

My grandpa's cousin is mildly crippled by polio. My mom talks about how awful measles and mumps were, I was nearly hospitalized for chicken pox. (that last one, my sister who was 3 at the time remembers and insisted that her child be vaccinated, she also has done the rest of the vaccinations.)

And on antibiotics, my grandpa had strep turn into scarlet fever in the 1920's and attack his heart. He was very lucky he survived, but he always had a mild heart murmur as a result.

My stepdad had a stepsister who had polio just before the Salk vaccine became available, and she recently died after having lived with that disease.

Yes, those diseases were so TEMPORARY... until your kid died, which is also PERMANENT.

How distorted must this person's view of history be? All the widespread death caused by disease.... And if she thinks the immune system God gave us is not affected by outside influences, how does she explain the drastic population decrease of the Native Americans when Europeans came over?

The willful ignorance is maddening.

Polio is highly relevant to this topic, I think. There are still people living in iron lungs today because they caught polio as children. I've watched an interview with one of them. The camera was pointed at a mirror that caught the reflection of the woman's face as she lay in the iron lung, listening to it thump and wheeze every few seconds, around the clock, forever.

What I think is going on in some people's minds: We follow a system that is supposed to make us the absolute best human beings, God's special people, much better than the great mass of sinners. That means that nothing bad can ever happen to us. If we vaccinate our children, that's an admission that something bad might happen, which is doubting the system God. So people who urge us to vaccinate are also bad because they want us to be sinners and they must be either stupid dupes or part of the conspiracy that always wants to drag us out of our perfect system communion with God. Also God might punish us for daring to doubt the system Him. What ho? Someone says vaccines cause autism? Well OBVIOUSLY that must be true because we already know that vaccines are bad because they don't fit our system. And the autism link (sic) makes vaccines doubleplusungood because having an autistic kid is a bad thing because autistic kids don't take to the child training parts of our system very well and so they make us look like the system doesn't work, which is just unthinkable, because the system=God=the system.

Also, everybody knows that if you are rich God must love you, especially if you go to the right church and visibly avoid all the wrong people.

Meanwhile, of course, polio silently struck down all children, even in families enjoying all the visible signs of God's favor--the clean obedient children who rode to church every Sunday in big purring town cars and only played in clean green parks and shining swimming pools and had moms who stayed home all day except when they were doing good works at society luncheons. The system of the day failed to protect them. Let him who has ears to hear, hear.

Kept agreeing with what everyone wrote above. Why do we have to choose between science & God? Can't God have given humankind the brains & curiosity to figure out things like vaccines?

This kind of thinking is starting to bleed over into other groups, too. I have noticed people I once thought were fairly normal, average humans not involved in any extreme behavior or religious beliefs start to condescend about how much "modern medicine" actually helps us.

I wonder if people realize what kind of illnesses and medical conditions were life-threatening only 100 years ago?

So, do they also not: wear seatbelts, put on sunscreen, avoid poisonous spiders, cross the road without looking, cook chicken before they eat it?

Do they not take penicillin, or take pain killers, or clean their house to avoid germs?

Would they refuse surgery if their appendix was about to rupture?

Why is vaccination and/or modern medicine the enemy?

I worked in Lesotho from 1983-1985. In 1999 I was studying in England and met up a colleague who was still working in Maseru but was home on break. Our conversation started out something like this:

Me: Is Bob Smith still working with you?

Her: Oh no. He died of Aids in '87.

Me: What about Mary Jones? Is she still the secretary?

Her: Mary? No, Mary and her husband died of Aids in the early 90s.

Me. Is Jim Hamilton still the department chair?

Her: Jim died of Aids two or three years after you left.

Me: What about...

Her: Let's face it - everyone you knew at XYZ is dead, Jinger.

Having had to wrap my head around the fact that everyone I shared my life with for two years is dead from a disease, I have no tolerance for idiots who think that vaccines are tools of Satan. None. Period. I don't know that I could ever share breathing space with these fools without trying to punch at least one of them, and as much as it embarrasses me to type that I am very serious.

Their hubris and willful ignorance have the potential to cause almost unimaginable devastation.

My mother is a big proponent of natural medicine and home remedies. She hates artificial anything. However, she grew up in the 50's in China when vaccinations were just getting off the ground. She remembers people getting sick from everything that we vaccinate against, and some we no longer require (polio, small pox). To this day, she is a huge proponent of vaccinations. You can be pro-natural health and pro-vaccination. Sadly, vaccinations are a victim of their own success. You ask anyone who've seen a pox scarred face, or a kid crippled by polio, or parents who grieve for dead babies, and you will change your tune.

YPestis, I think your Mum is spot on.

I like a good mix of alternative and modern medicine. In Australia, "drop in" style medical centres are the norm, where you see whatever doc is on duty, and Antibiotics is prescribed freely. I find that a bit scary.

Since I've had kids (5 years) we've always seen the same doctor, save for when he goes on holidays, and he is really happy for us to use alternative methods, along with prescriptions if he thinks they are needed, he also does acupuncture.

I love learning about herbs and different remedies etc, I love having natural births and pregnancies, but also believe strongly in having my children fully immunised. I believe this is not only an important obligation to my children, but to the wider community. So many Mummy friends of mine, who don't vaccinate, can't seem to see back into the past, they focus on the last 30 years that they have been alive, and have never seen any of these horrific diseases, therefore they are no longer a danger. This kind of thinking infuriates me. In Australia, we still had "Infectious Diseases" Hospitals, right up until the sixties. That is a bit close for comfort, as far as I'm concerned.

I worked in Lesotho from 1983-1985. In 1999 I was studying in England and met up a colleague who was still working in Maseru but was home on break. Our conversation started out something like this:

Me: Is Bob Smith still working with you?

Her: Oh no. He died of Aids in '87.

Me: What about Mary Jones? Is she still the secretary?

Her: Mary? No, Mary and her husband died of Aids in the early 90s.

Me. Is Jim Hamilton still the department chair?

Her: Jim died of Aids two or three years after you left.

Me: What about...

Her: Let's face it - everyone you knew at XYZ is dead, Jinger.

Having had to wrap my head around the fact that everyone I shared my life with for two years is dead from a disease, I have no tolerance for idiots who think that vaccines are tools of Satan. None. Period. I don't know that I could ever share breathing space with these fools without trying to punch at least one of them, and as much as it embarrasses me to type that I am very serious.

Their hubris and willful ignorance have the potential to cause almost unimaginable devastation.

Do you know I had never heard of Aids Denialists before last week..... They really do exisit, it baffles me.

Last year, I came upon a group called the Australian Vaccination Network (which sounds like a group who might espouse the benefits of vax, don't be fooled), and last week after doing a bit more reading, I see that there revered president, Meryl Dorey, is also an Aids Denialist......

avn.org.au

This woman seems to be all sorts of stupid though, spouting off random information to suit herself.

meryldorey.org

Archived