IGNORED

"Little House in the Hills" blog by quiverfull SAHM

TrueRebel1

Anyone else here read "Little House in the Hills"?

http:// littlehouseinthehills.blogspot. com/

She's a new-ish wife who wants to pop out as many babies as fast as she can! There's so many tidbits of snark-worthy material, but here's a classic example of her writing:

THIS time, I was kind of expecting to get pregnant again really fast, so I ate tons of vegetables and very few carbs, and lost the baby weight after Jemima as quickly as I could. And then...I was back to my normal weight, and Jemima just kept older...and I wasn't pregnant. I don't even remember how many pregnancy tests I took. It's a good thing I was able to buy the tests for $1/piece, because I went through quite a few. It's ironic to me how I could have been longing for *another* baby so much, when I already had two--who were filling up my days, and making me so busy all day long. But I was.

Where is she buying pregnancy tests for $1 each? The cheapest I've seen them here is $12 for a two pack.

She certainly sounds snarkable - I will check her put.

Where is she buying pregnancy tests for $1 each? The cheapest I've seen them here is $12 for a two pack.

She certainly sounds snarkable - I will check her put.

The dollar store.

You can get them here at dollar tree for a buck. They are actually just as sensitive as doc tests- they are,pretty much what we used in the office. Personally, I get my pee sticks from Amazon at about 25 cents a pop. :) helped diagnose BOTH my pregnancies at about 8 DPO. Anyway, TMI and bouncing over to read this blog...

The dollar store.

Your dollar stores sell pregnancy tests? They've only shown up in our supermarkets in the last five or so years, before that you could only get them at pharmacies.

Oh dear God... SHe is a "wa-la!" SOTDRT crazy, I am about to scream at her blanket training post. Heaven forbid children are able to actually, you know, feel at home in and freely play in their house...

Your dollar stores sell pregnancy tests? They've only shown up in our supermarkets in the last five or so years, before that you could only get them at pharmacies.

Yep!

The dollar store in our town has the ovulation predictor tests as well.

Oh dear God... SHe is a "wa-la!" SOTDRT crazy, I am about to scream at her blanket training post. Heaven forbid children are able to actually, you know, feel at home in and freely play in their house...

Right! She says,

Seriously, let me tell you: this has become one of my absolute favorite times of day. When the girls are happily reading on their blankets (and I make sure to keep them supplied with "new books," as to keep their attention), the house is so peaceful.

Her favorite time of day? If she doesn't like her kids having "free reign over the house" while she nurses the new baby, maybe she should have thought twice about having more kids? Of course the house is peaceful when the kids are confined....but most moms know that with several little kids in the house, it's usually going to be more chaotic than peaceful (unless it's nap time!).

She also mentions they do blanket time for 45-55 minutes each day. They are 1 and 2! I couldn't get my 14 month old to sit still for five minutes if I hog-tied him to a chair. I swore I'd blanket train my kids without swatting. It simply isn't possible or positive/natural. Babies are supposed to explore the environment as a learning experience, not stay in one place for an extended period of time while being terrified they will be "swatted with the plumbing line."

She also mentions they do blanket time for 45-55 minutes each day. They are 1 and 2! I couldn't get my 14 month old to sit still for five minutes if I hog-tied him to a chair. I swore I'd blanket train my kids without swatting. It simply isn't possible or positive/natural. Babies are supposed to explore the environment as a learning experience, not stay in one place for an extended period of time while being terrified they will be "swatted with the plumbing line."

I have 3 children. The youngest is 20 months. He will become interested in an activity (it may be a toy, book, coloring, etc.) and keep busy for 15-20 minutes at a time. But this is when HE initiates the activity. Rarely does he become that interested for that length of time when I introduce the activity to him. Now, with my 3 and 5 year olds, I can set an activity out and let them know that I'd like them to work on it for a certain time length. I just could never do the blanket training thing! I think it works against children learning to show interest in things, and independently working on their own.

Is there a form of blanket training that doesn't involve hitting the baby? I ask this because I was explaining what FreeJinger is all about to an online friend and he told me he and his siblings had been blanket trained, but that his parents didn't believe in hitting or spanking their children? Is there some other method besides the Pearls that I've never heard of? Not that I'm interested in trying it since I use a playpen for when I need to set my daughter down somewhere safe while I do things around the house. I'm just curious as to how they'd get a curious baby to stay put without beating the curiosity out of them.

Is there a form of blanket training that doesn't involve hitting the baby? I ask this because I was explaining what FreeJinger is all about to an online friend and he told me he and his siblings had been blanket trained, but that his parents didn't believe in hitting or spanking their children? Is there some other method besides the Pearls that I've never heard of? Not that I'm interested in trying it since I use a playpen for when I need to set my daughter down somewhere safe while I do things around the house. I'm just curious as to how they'd get a curious baby to stay put without beating the curiosity out of them.

I don't know. The only way to make my kids stay put for any amount of time is to turn television shows or movies on. They'll sit still for a while if I read, but they like to move around or color or whatever while listening, or if they're occupied with an art project, but TV is pretty much the only way to get them to be still for a while without my having to exert any effort.

Needless to say, I encourage outside play quite a lot since my children hate sitting still. But that wouldn't work as well with a 1 and 2 year old.

I'm sorry, I know blanket training is creepy and abusive and stupid, but I think the real issue here is that she named a child Jemima.

I just can't.

I'm sorry, I know blanket training is creepy and abusive and stupid, but I think the real issue here is that she named a child Jemima.

I just can't.

Uhh...like Aunt Jemima, the racist pancake syrup label?

I can't either.

Why not just get a playpen, throw some books and toys in there and not beat the kids to make them stay on a small blanket?

Well, Jemima is a Biblical name, and I guess it doesn't really make a difference if she's homeschooled.

She makes her children sit on blankets for nearly an hour, at 1 and 2 years old? Thats not natural, she should not have any more kids, she doesnt seem to like them very much.

Why blanket training as well? Cant they get a playpen, it has the same effect, but without hitting.

Well, Jemima is a Biblical name, and I guess it doesn't really make a difference if she's homeschooled.

Lots of names are biblical names. Cush is a biblical name.

Home schooled or not, at some point during this woman's pregnancy (and I'm a sick person, so I like to imagine these conversations) she said, "Y'know, honey, I'm thinking Jemima would be nice..." and her husband said anything other than "Yeah... WTF?."

Poor kid if she ever leaves fundieland.

I'm trying to blanket train my 1-year-old. Really, I am.

Only he's a 1-year-old puppy, and I'm training him to go to his bed when I tell him to do so. I reward him with treats when he complies. He's doing well. Most of the time he goes to his bed, lies down and will stay for about 30 seconds. Then he gets a treat. We are working on longer stays, hoping eventualy he goes to his bed and stays for long periods of time without complaining. I'm "blanket training," right?

Uhh...like Aunt Jemima, the racist pancake syrup label?

And with all the kids she plans to pop out, that kid will eventually be called Aunt Jemima . . .a lot.

The name Jemima doesn't have the Aunt Jemima baggage in other countries. I think it's gained some popularity in Great Britain. But this woman is American, right?

online you can get them for less than a dollar, ovulation test strips, too. And they're sensitive and accurate, too.

Like this one http://www.saveontests.com/

She makes her children sit on blankets for nearly an hour, at 1 and 2 years old? Thats not natural, she should not have any more kids, she doesnt seem to like them very much.

Why blanket training as well? Cant they get a playpen, it has the same effect, but without hitting.

It's no fun if you don't hit them.

And with all the kids she plans to pop out, that kid will eventually be called Aunt Jemima . . .a lot.

I didn't even think of that. Oh my God.

I was thinking more along the lines of (if she ever is allowed to have an actual job) "Hey Jim, can you bring these forms down to Jemima in accounting?"

Horrifying.

Relax - she'll never work in accounting. She's destined to be a helpmeet, after all!

Archived