IGNORED

Unusual Maiden for God wonders why she's always hungry....

Lady Elaine

We got a bunch of flowers the morning of the wedding at the Farmer's Market. My mom and sister were FREAKING OUT about that, haha. They'd never been to a farmer's market and were sure there wouldn't be enough flowers there and we'd have to go to the grocery store floral dept and get more :?: Yah, I don't know either. haha. We only did my boquet, the 3 Bridesmaid/Maid of Honor bouquets, boutonnieres for the groom and groomsmen (4 total) and two bunches of wild flowers to have some on the sign in table and a few on the chairs. The total was like $80. It was epic. Even my dad was like "That's IT?" My sister's bouquet in 1995 cost more than that and we had a discount cause my mom knew the florist. My best friend took apart the bouquets and rearranged them to make them perfect because she used to work at a florist. The boys each got a sprig of Dianthus. No parent flowers because of the possible drama involved with step-mother vs MIL :roll:. but that made it cheaper and easier so I was ok with it. I think my bouquet was one of the prettiest parts of my wedding.

Not as concerned with the hunger as I am the My Little Ponies...

Does anyone else feel like it's maybe one step from My Little Pony fanfics and wondering if there's some furry stuff going on there? :dance: :shock:

One of my friends is into anime and I just sent her a text to ask her what it's called when people are kind of furries but they just draw pictures of animal-human hybrids. She says it's Anthromorphs. The more you know!

original.0

Not as concerned with the hunger as I am the My Little Ponies...

Does anyone else feel like it's maybe one step from My Little Pony fanfics and wondering if there's some furry stuff going on there? :dance: :shock:

One of my friends is into anime and I just sent her a text to ask her what it's called when people are kind of furries but they just draw pictures of animal-human hybrids. She says it's Anthromorphs. The more you know!

original.0

Hey, as a fandom nerd, there is nothing wrong with fanfic. My Little Pony is incredibly popular right now -- there's a new, oddly smart and feminist series out right now, and it appeals to adults both male and female. Not suprised that she'd get an art piece from a local con -- it's pretty popular to do that, even if you aren't a furry, right now.

(I haven't watched the show yet. Just read a lot about it, it's on my docket, but I'm currently rewatching the stargates, and next up is mainline all of star trek, so it's going to be awhile....)

Guest Anonymous
OK, because I am bored, I actually looked at some of her other posts, and ran across this...

My little sister, Stephie, is my junior bridesmaid. I am running into the problem of finding a dress for her. My mom is thinking about sewing Stephie's dress but we can't seem to find a pattern that has sleeves.

Seriously? A soon-to-be homemaker and her fundie mom who, presumably, pursue the "wifely arts" don't have enough imagination or intelligence to pick out a dress pattern with sleeves and select some beautiful material for it?

I think these typically boring fundie girls just like to find ways to show how UNUSUAL they are, and how unmodest and ungodly the rest of us are, by comparison. She clearly didn't look very far before confirming her own silly hypothesis that all bridesmaids dresses are designed for HARLOTS!!!11ELEVENTY!!!

Her post reminds me of the UK fundie (homemakinghearts?) that came over to the old board to seek attention - her blog was all about teh immodest clothing too, even though the UK High Street is full this year of the kind of designs she was talking about.

ETA: I googled to find Rebecca's blog and found this hilarious 'interview' with her...

http://bloginterviewer.com/books/a-rath ... cca-martin

What is your blog about?

The thrilling, and often unusual adventures of a young lady, presented to you with beautiful photography and witty writing. A glimpse into what life is like in a family of ten when the youngest child is 4 years old. And best of all, the story of my courtship and romance.

What do you do for a living?

What do I do for a living? Well, I am a teacher’s aide, Nurse, janitor, chef, mender, babysitter, artist, writer… “wait!†you say? ok… I am a stay-at-home Daughter to a family of ten. And trust me, these are my jobs!

How did you start blogging about this?

Blogging is my way of practicing my writing and displaying my photography. So, yes, this is a hobby.

I thought it would be a great adventure and good fun to write a blog on me… a very unusual person. Or so people tell me.

She's one of my "pet fundies" and so I have a soft spot for her.

I felt compleatly starved for about a week after my wedding so I can relate to her post, I don't think it's strange at all.

My mom almost had a heart attack when I told her I did NOT care about the flowers at our wedding. She ended up hiring a very inexpensive and wonderful florist who added so much to the atmosphere. But if she hadn't I would have been playing with craft store flowers for sure.

Sleeves: not hard. I think the issue is one of imagination. Some people simply can't visualize anything. When I worked in fabric stores, we had customers that insisted on making garments out of the same fabric that the one in the photo of the pattern was made. If it had trim, they bought the same trim. Kinda defeats the purpose of making your own clothes really.

My sister "Sarge,"

who can't sew, did this twice--once for her bridesmaids' dresses, and once when I made her a formal to wear to a professional event. I told her over and over we could use the fabric she liked with a better-fitting and more flattering pattern, but it was like talking to a brick wall.

I agree. My mom made boutonnieres and corsages for family (we had fresh for the wedding party) and it was fine. The wedding industry is extraordinarily bloated--no need to feed it with something so unimportant in the scheme of things.

I am just wondering about her apartment obsession. It's an apartment. You're renting. If it's not *perfect*, big deal. You keep looking and find something better later. Make it work.

Oh, wait. That's right. She probably wouldn't know the Logic of His Royal Fantastickity Tim Gunn.

LOVE Tim Gunn. LOVE.

... weeks before her wedding.

OK, who's going to leave the comment - "Maybe you're pregnant!" :lol:

ratherunusualmaiden4god.blogspot.com/2011/07/16-days.html

Done.

I agree. My mom made boutonnieres and corsages for family (we had fresh for the wedding party) and it was fine. The wedding industry is extraordinarily bloated--no need to feed it with something so unimportant in the scheme of things.

I am just wondering about her apartment obsession. It's an apartment. You're renting. If it's not *perfect*, big deal. You keep looking and find something better later. Make it work.

Oh, wait. That's right. She probably wouldn't know the Logic of His Royal Fantastickity Tim Gunn.

"Make it work" is my life motto!

My sister "Sarge,"

who can't sew, did this twice--once for her bridesmaids' dresses, and once when I made her a formal to wear to a professional event. I told her over and over we could use the fabric she liked with a better-fitting and more flattering pattern, but it was like talking to a brick wall.

My mom can sew whatever she wants, pattern or adapted pattern, and can switch stuff around, but when it comes to crochet, she just can't see anything other than the original, maybe in a different color, but that's it. It drives me bonkers because I KNOW she's better than that.

From experience personally and from others I have known, please DO NOT suggest pregnancy. Just don't. If she is, it will destroy her wedding for everyone to know. In her world, it is unforgivable. If such a pregnancy can be hidden as a honeymoon baby that came early, it is far better for mother AND child. I know one poor girl who got pregnant 4 months before her wedding. She intended to tell her family after she was married and they found out anyway. They nearly didn't come to the wedding at all and spent most of her pregnancy calling her and her child vile names. I know another girl whose mother wore all black at the wedding and refused to let her wear the white wedding dress she had choosen for herself.

I myself never told anyone that I was miscarrying on my wedding day because I knew what my fundie mother would say. Eight years later, on my 3rd miscarriage, I let it slip that it was my 3rd. I kid you not, her exact wording was, "It was for the best that your baby died. You never could have hidden that, and no young Christian couple could ever overcome the stigma of that shame." I was 14 weeks pregnant and finally passed the baby on my honeymoon while my DH held me and we wept. I would still give most things to have that baby BACK, losing him was NEVER "for the best."

Seriously, if you suspect a fundie girl is pregnant before her wedding day, just keep that to yourself. The best chance she and her child of acceptance in her world is to be passed off as something else, anything but an out of wedlock conception.

chaotic life, I'm sorry about your loss. It's telling (about fundies and the way they think) that your mother was, even years after the fact, more concerned about appearances than about you and your baby.

But I don't think anyone really thinks Rebecca is pregnant. She has said, and I believe her, that she and Justin have only held hands, and just once at that.

Guest Anonymous

I'm gonna agree with you here. They were pretty cringe worthy :whistle:

Omg those are horrendous :/ I love flowers way too much, though.

It breaks my heart, and makes me furious to see people absolutely bending over backwards to accommodate crazy family members.

I am so sorry you went through that Chaotic Life. That must have been absolutely horrible for you. I had 2 devastating miscarriages early in my marriage, and I can't imagine having someone say such a cruel and callous thing to me.

That said, the older I get, the more I believe that silence is not the answer. If you have to be someone else for your family to love you, then their "love" isn't worth having. I think silence absolutely enables them...it allows them to control the people around them, and that can't be healthy.

My bouquet was made with silk flowers, by my grandmother. She used flowers and ribbons she had around the house, so can't snark there.

I agree about the pregnancy thing, even as a joke it could ruin her reputation. My husband and I eloped for many reasons (lack of money, lack of interest for the planning process, I needed insurance quickly, didn't want to have a show made of myself, etc.), after only a year and a half together, and there has been pregnancy rumors in his family, and then miscarriage rumors when no baby showed up. Because of course a young couple who chooses to elope, it has to be pregnancy! Where I live, there are more couples shacking up than actually married, and those who do, do it after like 10 years together and more for the party and the "it's MY day to shine" factor than anything else, so lots of people wondered what was going on.

In addition, the main point of the SAHD movement is to arrest a girl's emotional development to that of a child. It renders her incapable of escape or defense from the bondage her parents condemn her to. By the time she reaches a level of maturity where she could contemplate escape, she is already full controlled by her 'headship' and shackled with several children who not only depend upon her, but are then used as a guilt point to remind her that everything must be in *their* best interests, and an intact family is always considered in their best interest.

So, pointing out she might be pregnant puts someone with the capabilities of a child in a position where she can be greatly harmed and without the ability to protect herself from the attacks that will come.

No girl in that movement is going to admit if she has done anything other than strictly chaste behavior. That does NOT mean they don't. It means they know how to maintain the facade and play the game for safety and conformity. It is entirely likely she could be pregnant. However, if she is, it is far better to let her deal with her world on her own, in whatever manner will keep her and her child the safest.

Guest Anonymous
From experience personally and from others I have known, please DO NOT suggest pregnancy.

I am really sorry for your loss and your horrible experience.

A Darkplumaged said, I don't think anyone here really thinks Rebecca is pregnant, I read this thread as a humourous one. And Rebecca moderates comments on her blog, so any snark would not be seen by others.

Archived