IGNORED

Unusual Maiden for God wonders why she's always hungry....

Lady Elaine

... weeks before her wedding.

OK, who's going to leave the comment - "Maybe you're pregnant!" :lol:

ratherunusualmaiden4god.blogspot.com/2011/07/16-days.html

I'm just jealous because no one ever drew a picture of me and my husband as My Little Ponies. But to be honest, I'd rather have us be drawn as Smurfs.....

Someone forgot to tell her that getting married isn't like playing princess. It's real life and comes with real responsibilities and change. And, they don't have an apartment yet. She's about to marry someone that she'll have to have sex with, who she hasn't even kissed.

A butt load of life changes = stress.

Some eat their stress. Some starve it. Few are unaffected by it.

OK, because I am bored, I actually looked at some of her other posts, and ran across this...

My little sister, Stephie, is my junior bridesmaid. I am running into the problem of finding a dress for her. My mom is thinking about sewing Stephie's dress but we can't seem to find a pattern that has sleeves.

Seriously? A soon-to-be homemaker and her fundie mom who, presumably, pursue the "wifely arts" don't have enough imagination or intelligence to pick out a dress pattern with sleeves and select some beautiful material for it? Last I looked, the pattern books at the fabric stores were crammed with dress patterns that include sleeves that would be very pretty bridesmaid dresses.

If she needs something fancier, maybe she should be brave and look at the (Gasp!) costume section for those "princess" and "gypsy girl" type dresses that would also make a perfect bridesmaid dress for a young girl, when sewn in a nice pastel fabric.

I fear for her. Maybe her college education has ruined her feminine talents and abilities.

OK, because I am bored, I actually looked at some of her other posts, and ran across this...

My little sister, Stephie, is my junior bridesmaid. I am running into the problem of finding a dress for her. My mom is thinking about sewing Stephie's dress but we can't seem to find a pattern that has sleeves.

Seriously? A soon-to-be homemaker and her fundie mom who, presumably, pursue the "wifely arts" don't have enough imagination or intelligence to pick out a dress pattern with sleeves and select some beautiful material for it? Last I looked, the pattern books at the fabric stores were crammed with dress patterns that include sleeves that would be very pretty bridesmaid dresses.

If she needs something fancier, maybe she should be brave and look at the (Gasp!) costume section for those "princess" and "gypsy girl" type dresses that would also make a perfect bridesmaid dress for a young girl, when sewn in a nice pastel fabric.

I fear for her. Maybe her college education has ruined her feminine talents and abilities.

One word: EBay.

That place is a gold mine for out of print dress patterns and you can get great deals.

Maybe she's trying to lose weight for the ceremony and doesn't realize that if you deprive yourself food you'll feel hungry.

Did anyone see the post about her corsages and boutonnieres? It was going to cost $186 for flowers for the wedding and that was too much so she made corsages and boutonnieres with dollar store roses and daisies and ribbon she found around the house. I am all about frugal weddings and saving money for life, but really??????

I get hungry when I'm bored.

Maybe she should try to find something more mentally stimulating?

Did anyone see the post about her corsages and boutonnieres? It was going to cost $186 for flowers for the wedding and that was too much so she made corsages and boutonnieres with dollar store roses and daisies and ribbon she found around the house. I am all about frugal weddings and saving money for life, but really??????

I can't snark this because I did it. I took dollar store flowers, messed around with a bit of paint to give them texture and to match my colors, and combined them with ribbon and beads to make all the flowers for my wedding, including my little bouquet. I think they came out nice, but if not, and people thought they looked cheap, at least they didn't tell me. Fresh flowers weren't important to me, and I preferred to do something with my hands, that would last forever, rather than spend money on boutonnieres and such that would just look like everyone else's and be dead in a day. Dollar store stuff doesn't -have- to look awful, if you're clever with how you use it.

Shouldn't a seamstress be able to sew whatever type of sleves on it? My mom would mix and match paterns to get the dress I wanted. The selves off this one, with that bodice and then this skirt. I don't sew but asking the seamstresses in the group, isn't that easier to do than whineing?

Didn't she come here at some point? I get all the fundie maidens confused.

It is not at all hard to add sleeves. Really, it is just a little beyond being able to thread your bobbin as far as skill goes.

It is not at all hard to add sleeves. Really, it is just a little beyond being able to thread your bobbin as far as skill goes.

It's true. I mean, for "studying" all those years in the "womanly arts", they sure have to rely on patterns a lot... heck, I just make my own patterns, and I only sew as a hobby. :-P Sleeves are really NOT that hard to add to dress, and if they have sewn something previously, shouldn't they have "sleeved" dress patterns laying around??

She did post here for a bit. I think she had a project to do for school, so figured asking teh ebbil heathens some questions was a way to get some quick research done.

I find it strange that she can't find a way to get sleeves onto a dress. I sew recreationally at best, and I'm pretty sure I could manage to figure something out.

Hunger so close to a wedding, the wedding night (and all that's related bearing in mind she doesn't hold hands with her intended), no apartment... stress eating!

It probably is stress eating and not the "hormonal hunger" I have sometimes, which only lasts a day or two.

Right, cjsmom--she's been engaged for too long, has been doing wedding stuff for too long, can't find a decent apartment, and has barely touched the man she's about to have sexytimes with for the rest of her life. I'd be anxious, too.

I'm gonna agree with you here. They were pretty cringe worthy :whistle:

Guest Anonymous

Has this woman never heard of Butterick? or Simplicity? (I won't say Vogue because those fuckers are drafted by Satan himself)

Sleeves are NOT HARD TO DRAFT either. And I don't have training in the "housewifely" arts or whatever they call it. I'm all self taught and I could do this so easily its not even FUNNY.

Yeah my sewing rarely extends beyond patching clothes and re-attatching buttons or, formerly, sewing on Girl Scout patches and badges, but when I do sew actual things for fun, I do it by hand and without a pattern or with one I made up myself, and honestly, it's just takes a wee bit of creativity...oh wait, fundies aren't allowed creative thought. I seeeeee.

And yeah, totally stress eating combined with possible dieting.

I was a florist in my younger years. Five years worth of flowers and all. I refuse to snark on taking the cheap way out for corsages & boutonnieres. They ARE expensive and you get very little. They're a pain in the ass to make, and florists charge more if they have to make more, not just for product but time and tiny, stupid labor. And, personally, I see them as the least relevant of flowers for weddings or any other event. Take the cheap, easy way out and move on. Had she decided to make her bouquet or her bridesmaids bouquets, with no experience, or altar arrangements, then I'd probably snark or even groan.

I wish god would bless me with tangible items. Not that I need anything at the moment, but I'd really like a new camera. Does he just drop them out of the sky when he does his blessing or ring the bell and leave them on the front porch?

I really want to know what she's been doing the last year if so much of the wedding planning is stressing her out and coming down to to the last days. She's had more than a year to plan this thing. More than a year to make decisions, meet with people, get things ordered - saved for. I know you can't plan everything a full year out, but you can certainly get enough done so that the last few weeks are a little more relaxing and less stressful.

I kind of feel bad for her. She really doesn't have any real life experience. She's getting married and becoming a good Christian wife with absolutely no clue how to do that. She seems very naive to me. Instead of bible college she actually might have been served better with one of those Housewife 'degrees'.

I agree. My mom made boutonnieres and corsages for family (we had fresh for the wedding party) and it was fine. The wedding industry is extraordinarily bloated--no need to feed it with something so unimportant in the scheme of things.

I am just wondering about her apartment obsession. It's an apartment. You're renting. If it's not *perfect*, big deal. You keep looking and find something better later. Make it work.

Oh, wait. That's right. She probably wouldn't know the Logic of His Royal Fantastickity Tim Gunn.

I have a feeling the apartment issue is financially related. She mentioned that he had some kind of part-time job during college, but nothing that would net them monthly rent. Now he has graduated and is going to be a teacher, but of course it's summer so he hasn't secured a job yet (and I'm pretty sure she'd blog about it if he had). It sounds like reality is crashing down on them pretty hard.

She could've gone to Hobby Lobby or Michaels (or the equivalent) to buy the materials for a tiny bit more. They both have their weekly coupons in the paper, or you can print them out. Often they are for 40% off one item. She could've slowly picked up the supplies over the months. Oh well, her wedding not mine. I am excited to see how it all turns out, I'm glad she's going to continue blogging after her wedding.

Yeah, I'm going to agree that corsages and bouts are...overpriced. I only got two wrist corsages, and I think they were $15/each? for my mom and MIL. We made them for my sister's wedding--granted, I was willing (for my wedding) to go without completely, but I thought my mom would like the recognition.

I feel like in the past it was traditional to give flowers to pretty much every family member (parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc)--and that can really add up. Although, lately, at most of the weddings I've been too, the flowers have been for the parents (and of course groomsman) if they show up on those outside of the wedding party at all. Maybe this is a regional thing?

Sleeves: not hard. I think the issue is one of imagination. Some people simply can't visualize anything. When I worked in fabric stores, we had customers that insisted on making garments out of the same fabric that the one in the photo of the pattern was made. If it had trim, they bought the same trim. Kinda defeats the purpose of making your own clothes really.

Archived