IGNORED

Family with 12 kids going to homeschool in RV

homeschoolmomma1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say it sounds like it would be interesting... although I would only want to do it for a short time.. are they doing it permanently? I am sure that there are plenty of learning experiences that they can have along the way I would only want to go for a month at most, there is something to be said for "normal" and routine in my opinion.

One of our main arguments for homeschooling is travel. Granted, we only have 1 kid. (We're not Fundies - especially since my husband is athiest.) I think if i had more? No way!!

But for now? We spend 4 months of the year traveling, the best geography lesson ever!

This might be their site?

http://www.kelloggshow.com/category/news/

ETA I don't think they're the type of fundies we're used to snarking on, if they're fundies at all

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088LAKL2/ref ... 2Fabout%2F

They identify themselves as Catholic. They do espouse some Titus2 stuff, are long-time homeschoolers, and talk about trying to keep their family "close" (i.e., geographically), but one of their kids got into a "real" college and they were discussing letting her attend. Fundy-lite, maybe.

I saw this somewhere else on teh Internetz, but wondered how they were financing their lifestyle. Still, where does the dad get his wi-fi to work? And how the heck were they able to limit the kiddos to only two personal items each? And where do the little ones sleep--on shelving units?

I'm glad they're able to travel, but I'm a little leery about the whole thing and am counting down the days until they have their own TLC show.

My fundie faux-Jew friend and her husband sold their house and all their belongings and bought a bus to travel around and live in with their 5 kids under the age of 10. They did it for about two years. Their marriage didn't survive.

:obscene-hanged:

I'm just trying out all the smileys.

I was just thinking that since she included "Badass" in her book title that she was fundie light (makes sense if they're RC).

I might be able to do a few weeks of a road trip with my husband and three kids, but that would be it.

Wondering how long this will really last for them. Sure they did a two month "test-trip" but I would like to bet that after a year or so, they will get pretty tired of it. The reports said the oldest daughter delayed college to do this with the family and is working as a graphic artist. No a bad thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to attend college later on just to get some space.

There was a show a few years back about families living in their RVs, driving around etc. Pretty sure it was TLC. I remember the last one I saw (because it made me sad) was when the mom HAD TO HAVE certain countertops and the extra weight meant that her kids had to give up a beloved item (a boat, I believe).

I cant remember if they were fundies, but it was a seriously fucked up show.

I saw this on the Today Shiw. They showed the kids sleeping all over the floor of the RV, on every flat surface available. The Today Show thought they were great, but I was horrified. I think forcing that many people to be that close 24/7 is abusive. The travel and homeschool part is fine, but living in a cramped RV is definitely not.

OH FFS THERE REALLY IS A FUCKING TLC CASTING CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Published on Dec 9, 2012

We were contacted by a producer asking us if we were interested in taking part in a casting call for an upcoming show about RV living/travel on the TLC channel. Cast for one of our favorite channels? Yes please! This is our casting video we made. It contains an introduction, an interview, and a quick home tour.

Fun fact - the daddy (a former marine) likes to eat his yogurt with a baby spoon. Definitely TLC material!

We wanted to get rid of the mortgage,†Susie said. “Get rid of the car payments and breathe.â€

You mean, YOU wanted to get rid of the mortgage and YOU wanted to breathe. So you packed your family into a space made to comfortable house 2-4 people and now only YOU can breathe. The rest of your family is packed like sardines.

I agree it would be incredibly crowded - but some RV's are actually 3 bedroom / 2 bath with lofts , pull down bunks etc.. If you had the parents and baby in one bedroom, older boys in one bedroom, older girls in another and little kids in the living area ( or whatever combination works given their particular family make up ) .. it could be doable, especially if they spend a lot of time outside. They seem to be very into kayaking and outdoorsy in general.

Didn't see the rv they have, so have no idea of the set-up.

Here is another family with a lot (10) kids in an RV:

ticknortribe.com

She has put up a bunch of info on how they fit all of the kids (bunk beds in what was a closet!) They are also very into the new earth theory- crossing out 'propaganda' on handouts from national parks and replacing it with Biblical 'truth':

ticknortribe.com/2012/11/devils-tower-national-monumen-wy.html

I hate to say this, but what if you need to, um, have a wank? Or sweet fellowship?

Those are normal and not bad. But if you need space alone sometimes, you need space alone.

They identify themselves as Catholic. They do espouse some Titus2 stuff, are long-time homeschoolers, and talk about trying to keep their family "close" (i.e., geographically), but one of their kids got into a "real" college and they were discussing letting her attend. Fundy-lite, maybe.

"Discussing" "letting" their adult daughter screams fundie to me. If she is accepted and can sort out the finances, what's to discuss and who are they to allow or disallow?

JFC - re Sweet Fellowship. For a group who are so repressive about sex, fundies seem to have few issues about marital relations in close quarters. It's not uncommon for many of them to conceive the next blessing with a baby or toddler still sleeping in the parent's room or bed, Esther and her hubby manage to conceive every year despite living in a pop up trailer with eleventy kids, Kim from LiaS had kids stacked on Costco shelving in the next room and still managed to get pregnant regularly. It's a weird double standard - you can't see Mum breast feeding, she has to use a cover even at home on the couch, but you can know her menstrual cycle and hear her having sex in the next room.

But I'd be quite concerned for the teenagers in those cramped, shared bedrooms, especially the girls for whom a shower isn't so convenient a place for masturbation as it is for their brothers.

I saw this on the Today Shiw. They showed the kids sleeping all over the floor of the RV, on every flat surface available. The Today Show thought they were great, but I was horrified. I think forcing that many people to be that close 24/7 is abusive. The travel and homeschool part is fine, but living in a cramped RV is definitely not.

I also think it's abusive.

I saw an article about them yesterday. I absolutely got a fundie vibe.

It's really weird, isn't it? I've always wondered how those FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY THAT IS ALL THAT IS IMPORTANT types cope with the fact it can't always be FAMILY and girls have needs too, one of which is privacy.

I don't even mean only for masturbation, though fair play, that will be a need. I mean stuff like you get changed with no-one staring at you, you get a mirror so you can try stuff on and see how you look, you can just sit down and read without being bothered for hours, you want to check your facebook or whatever and chat with your mates.

Archived